Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,529,233 times

Advertisements

There's a nice huge cheap historic house there for sale.

Is Woodlawn Lake a nice stroll? The house is about 4 blocks east and two blocks South of the Lake. a block north of culebra.

Anyone know this area? Is it improving -declining -stable?

Does it have a bad rep or a fair reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,894,895 times
The park is nice. The area around it might not be much to your liking. It just depends on what you're used to. My husband used to spend his summers at his grandma's house on Texas Ave and it was really different from Live Oak where his own house was. He said his grandma always had a big dog that slept in the yard, and at night they'd see the cops chasing people through the alley behind the house, and they'd hear sirens all night, most nights. He didn't really feel safe there, even though his grandparents had lived there for many years and were totally comfortable in the neighborhood.

His grandma doesn't live there anymore, but when we've gone to visit his other relatives, the area looks the same as it did 20 years ago.

Like a lot of older areas, there are some houses and yards that are really well maintained and others that are badly in need of repair.

You should probably just take a drive out there, park your car at the lake and then walk around the area and see what you think. If you're used to living on the north side, it may not be what you're looking for.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,714,030 times
I think Woodlawn is a lot like many of the neighborhoods inside loop 410 or south of it. Some streets are beautiful, others not so much. Drive by at different times of day to check it out.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,734,134 times
It really depends on where you are. I remember dating a girl in the early 90's that lived near there (W Kings Hwy/ST Cloud area). Never had an issue and everyone I came across was really nice to me (and Im a white dude from the north by way of FL). My mom lives in a beautiful neighborhood just off of Bandera inside the loop. It is the quietest neighborhood I have ever been in in this city.

Bottom line is that it depends on where you are. There are pockets of trouble everywhere.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:18 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,631,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
There's a nice huge cheap historic house there for sale.

Is Woodlawn Lake a nice stroll? The house is about 4 blocks east and two blocks South of the Lake. a block north of culebra.

Anyone know this area? Is it improving -declining -stable?

Does it have a bad rep or a fair reputation?

I've lived in SA 28 years and I would not live in that area. Has a bad reputation. This is my
personal opinion from what I've heard and seen.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:44 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,529,233 times
802 Kentucky one block north of Culebra and Calavaras.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,561,226 times
It varies depending upon where you are. It's a lovely area with interesting houses, and the park is great. I have a number of friends who live there and love it. But there was a time it was not so great, and old perceptions are hard to lose. There are still some less desirable areas, so really depends. That "transitional" neighborhood is not for everyone.

The same people who say it's 'bad" are the ones who said Lavaca was dangerous and no one would live there. Alas, property values have increased 400% in the past 10 years in this neighborhood everyone was so scared of. Lots of people who are now priced out of the Southtown area are looking to Woodlawn (and Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, Government Hill, etc). That said, it's an area with a long term history - families there have been there forever, and for some newcomers can be hard to integrate, but they're working on it. We considered buying there 14 years ago, but it was more expensive than Lavaca then, so beyond our price range.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,561,226 times
Quote:

That's probably in the less desirable part of the neighborhood. Closer to the park, then north/west of the park, which is the Jefferson/Monticello area is definitely in a better position. That's likely why it's cheap - location, location, location. But that entire area IS changing and improving. You just have to decide if it's worth it to you to get in on the earlier days of transition (we did, and glad of it as we could never afford to buy in Southtown now). Dignowity Hill is another area that's really starting to boom.

Also keep in mind that old houses require a lot of work. It looks really nice inside, but old houses have less obvious issues like foundation, roof, old plumbing and wiring. All fixable, but you need to calculate that into the price. It looks like it was lived in rather than a flip, so that's promising (IME, investors who flip make it look nice cosmetically for sale, while skimping on the bigger structural issues).

it's a lovely old house!

Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,265,227 times
Quote:
The area has improved, but it's not "ready" yet, not even close. If the economy takes another downturn, the area will have to start again from square one. It's not the worst neighborhood in the "west side", but it still doesn't have a great reputation. If you were up 8 or 9 streets closer to Frederickburg, this would be a different conversation. I wouldn't do it. If you do, I hope you're fluent in Spanish.

Last edited by thenewtexan; 09-04-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 12:14 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,064,956 times
In other words, it's borderline nasty. Some tend to sugar coat things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio