Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM

991 posts, read 1,111,116 times

Advertisements

If I relocate to San Antonio, my wife and I would be looking for a 1B or 2B apartment in a complex with a pool, fitness center, and other amenities in a walkable and bikeable neighborhood with street cafes and shops that is within the 410 loop. Our rental budget is 1200 to 1400 per month. I am a CPA who consults and can work from home. Prefer easy airport access. Right now we are living in overland park, Kansas - a KC suburb. We would be looking to relocate in a year and are considering options. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 12:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,259,380 times
That budget will get you a house, you don't have to settle for an apartment.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
We want to rent a luxury apartment...I am just selling a house now and I don't want another one for a long time....I am a work hard, hard type and have no interest of raising a family or maintaining a house...just working and having fun.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,259,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post

We want to rent a luxury apartment...I am just selling a house now and I don't want another one for a long time....I am a work hard, hard type and have no interest of raising a family or maintaining a house...just working and having fun.

Not too much "luxury" inside 410 apartment wise, unless you are downtown in some of the new places right off of broadway

Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,561,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
But not a pool and fitness center. Sometimes, apartment living isn't "settling." Depends on what they person likes.

Do you want near 410 or downtown or anywhere in the loop?

I can suggest any of the newer complexes in the Southtown area: St benedicts, Cevallos Lofts (not sure if Judson has a pool) and the SoFlo area.

The Broadway/Pearl area is bursting with higher end apartments, probably too many to name: Can Plant, 1221, The Mosaic, The Broadway, 1800 Broadway to name a few. There are more. All close to downtown, both areas are, IMO, easy airport access. I live in Southtown and it takes 15 minutes max to get to the airport, unless it's during evening rush out (i.e. outbound traffic).

here's a link to a page with many links. http://downtownsanantonio.org/live/housing/rent Not all will be suitable (i.e. not all are luxury or have pools/fitness centers), but it's a start. both the Southtown and Lower Broadway/Pearl areas are very walkable. The stuff closer to 410 won't be very walkable or luxury.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,972,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

(not sure if Judson has a pool)
We got a great pool!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

We are here this whole week and are scouting areas but I was pointed in the wrong direction...we hiked to mission Concepción from our hotel on the riverwalk and I had high hopes because I am used to highly bikeable and walkable areas having liveable apartment options. I didn't find anything on that portion. We walked up to Pearl on the river walk and liked some of the options around there...I will have to explore a bit more.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
We are here this whole week and are scouting areas but I was pointed in the wrong direction...we hiked to mission Concepción from our hotel on the riverwalk and I had high hopes because I am used to highly bikeable and walkable areas having liveable apartment options. I didn't find anything on that portion. We walked up to Pearl on the river walk and liked some of the options around there...I will have to explore a bit more.
If you walked south on the RW to Mission Concepcion, it's a great path (and I love it because it feels a bit wild/natural while being very navigable) but there are no apartment properties directly on the river. St Benedict's is on S. Alamo St (a few blocks off the river) and Cevallos Lofts on Cevallos St, a few blocks from the river in the other direction. Same for all the SoFlo stuff (a few blocks off). That whole area is highly walkable with restaurants and galleries, not many shops but there are a few.

The stuff on the way to the Pearl will be on the river, but not sure which ones are finished yet. The apartments at the Pearl and on Broadway are also not directly on the river. The Pearl Complex is, but the apartments are set back. The link I provided shows a map, which should help.

btw - this southern portion, or Mission Reach, is very very new. Beyond King William/Lone Star, that path either didn't exist or was not very usable until recently. What I like about that area is it's easy to fill like you're out in the wilderness at times, even though you're so close to downtown. The Museum Reach (northern stretch) has been around a bit longer (but not much) and has seen much more residential development of late. Again, not as much shopping, but loads of restaurants, cafes, bars etc. Hopefully the shops will follow (Pearl is getting some, so that's promising).

Old 08-22-2013, 01:51 PM

So it's downtown or bust. I was looking for something like The Plaza in KC, where it is highly walkable, 180+ retail and dining establishments, connected to urban core,features luxury apartments as well as hiking and biking trails but with the wonderful history and climate that San Antonio offers. 1800 Broadway looks promising.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
So it's downtown or bust. I was looking for something like The Plaza in KC, where it is highly walkable, 180+ retail and dining establishments, connected to urban core,features luxury apartments as well as hiking and biking trails but with the wonderful history and climate that San Antonio offers. 1800 Broadway looks promising.
haha. Sorry. Although, I think that's what the Elian was trying to do (outer loopers, can you help with info there?).

San Antonio is very new to the urban revival thing. Downtown/Pearl/Southtown are highly walkable (IMO), and dining options are superb, hiking and biking and history, YES. Retail, limited. What little there is tends to be geared towards tourists, with some exceptions. The city is still trying to break free of its suburban model of growth coupled with "downtown is for tourists" philosophy. It's changing, but still has a long way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio