Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:17 AM

759 posts, read 3,689,227 times

Advertisements

We'd really like to add a small outdoor kitchen to our back patio. It would consist of a counter (granite, quartz... something durable,) a sink, cooktop with 2 burners, and a small frig. Our grill is separate and would not be incorporated.
The issue is this would pretty much be uncovered. Our roof line is odd and makes covering our patio difficult, plus our patio has great trees and is shaded from noon on every day. Covering it is just not necessary.
I'm worried about how the kitchen will "fare" in our climate? It will have a small awning; the kitchen will be built against an exterior wall. But when it rains, it will get wet. What type of cabinets/wood would we use?
I've thought about covering it when not in use but I don't want to have to rely on it always being covered in case we forget and get one of our lovely pop up thunderstorms.
Wdyt? Bad idea for our climate or doable? This is something my husband and I both really want and will really use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:05 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
We had a covered outdoor kitchen in Dallas and it was constructed of stucco for the base, granite for the counter, and stainless grill, fridge, burners and cabinets. Even though covered, it was not enclosed, and still needed cleaning prior to using. Rain is usually a sideways thing in TX and it would get a bit dirty. I think if you have a lot of trees, you'll be fine, just be prepared to clean it often.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM

Where are you looking, if I may ask? We've started shopping around for one for our new house and have not found any yet that we like enough to plunk down the money for. There's a place on 1604 that has some nice ones but they are really proud of them! Lowe's has some lower end, movable types and Home Depot has some nice-looking ones online only (free shipping even!) but other than that, we haven't found much else.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:27 AM

759 posts, read 3,689,227 times
We're redoing our kitchen within the next year or so and I'm hoping to have this built at the same time maybe using some remnants for the counter.
Yes, I figured it would get dirty quickly. I'm thinking during the times where we know it won't be used as often (or in the spring when the pollen in falling- uggg!) we could cover it with a cover/tarp of some sort.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:59 PM

905 posts, read 1,630,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Where are you looking, if I may ask? We've started shopping around for one for our new house and have not found any yet that we like enough to plunk down the money for. There's a place on 1604 that has some nice ones but they are really proud of them! Lowe's has some lower end, movable types and Home Depot has some nice-looking ones online only (free shipping even!) but other than that, we haven't found much else.

Jeff's Backyard | Gas Grills | Propane | Smokers | Weber BBQ Grills

Old 11-11-2015, 02:01 PM

905 posts, read 1,630,918 times
Yes, with out a doubt, you need some type of cover other than trees. Pooping birds roost in trees, plus within time, rain, sun and other elements will ruin it. Even covered, it will get dirty, especially in pollen season.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:20 PM

Thanks...I had forgotten about them.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,917,103 times
The outdoor kitchen is the newest rage. Look to Parrish and Company for your outdoor kitchen. They have self contained kitchens with stainless tops, cabinets, and grill. They also can be on rollers if you like so you can move it around. Some models even have cold water sinks that hook up to the hose. You'll have to go out there as they only list manufacturers of the products they sell on their website. It's out 281 about 3 miles from the county line on the west side of 281.
Parrish & Co. | Kitchen Cabinets, Appliances, Countertops, Fireplaces, Garage Doors, & More!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 AM

790 posts, read 1,880,742 times
Living on the East Coast, outdoor kitchens WERE the rage years ago. (I realize our weather in DC/Virginia is different....but hear me out.) Now, it's very hard to find outdoor kitchens, outdoor movie theaters, etc. I read an article that said rain, dirt, rust, constant cleaning, etc, made these more trouble than they are worth.

That said, I think they're very nice and probably more appropriate for Texas. But a covering will be necessary. And so will cleaning. Dang if those rats, mice and other rodents can't smell the smallest morsel of food.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:55 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,774,133 times
Any outdoor kitchen should be covered. My brother builds them for a living and people pay him anywhere from $50K and up for his work and I can not imagine at least getting it covered (and I don't mean covering it pergola style) with all the appliances an outdoor kitchen requires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: