Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:26 AM

84 posts, read 217,960 times

Advertisements

But! for a good reason.

The University of Texas at San Antonio's student body shrank by a larger number than any other public university in the state between fall 2012 and fall 2013 partly because of tightened admissions standards, officials said.
So this year's freshman class was smaller, even as the graduating class for last school year was larger.

“We brought in fewer and graduated more, and when you add those two things together, it has an impact,” said George Norton, UTSA's associate vice president for student affairs.
The UTSA headcount peaked in fall 2011, with 30,968 students, according to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. Since fall 2012, UTSA's enrollment has dropped 1,749 students, a decrease of 5.7 percent, to a fall 2013 total of 28,725, according to preliminary data the board released last week for institutions across Texas.
As part of UTSA's effort to become a top research university, the school has ratcheted up admissions criteria three times since 2008, and now the vast majority of freshmen ranked in the top half of their high school class, Norton said.
“What we have done by raising up the admissions criteria sharply is dramatically increase the academic preparedness level of the freshmen class. ... so they will have a greater likelihood of being successful,” he said.
Norton said the university graduated 406 more students in 2012-13 than the year before.
UTSA is still the largest single institution of higher learning in San Antonio, though the five Alamo Colleges collectively enroll greater numbers. The Alamo Colleges enrollment grew by just 86 students, or 0.15 percent.
Tuition and fees for a full-time, in-state UTSA undergraduate student went up by $78 to $9,082 for the 2013-14 school year, according to the school's website.

Courtesy of your Express News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
And before long, this will lower the dropout rate. Win + Win.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Doesn't this say that not enough students applying to the school meet the admissions standards and that they have yet to attract enough qualified students?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:21 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Doesn't this say that not enough students applying to the school meet the admissions standards and that they have yet to attract enough qualified students?
Based on the reputation of accepting everyone the best have not been applying. As the reputation changes more qualified applicants will apply. No?

Old 10-31-2013, 02:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Based on the reputation of accepting everyone the best have not been applying. As the reputation changes more qualified applicants will apply. No?
I guess so.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:01 PM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
Prior to moving to SA I worked at a then top 30 (15 public) business school. The Dean's 5-year plan was to move us into the top 20/10 respectively, which he accomplished. A large part of the strategy was to tighten admissions criteria. This serves two purposes - 1) it lowers the faculty/student ratio, 2) higher admissions requirements tend to translate to higher graduation rates. Both of these are important factors in rankings. Rankings translate to higher visibility which attracts more private and public research funding.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
As someone who attended UTSA in the 90's (graduate level), (and my husband also attended and received his MBA in 2001), I can attest that many of the students were not qualified to be at a 4 year university. There were many "0" level math and English courses (when freshman level courses begin with "1"). These were designed, of course, as remedial courses.

Many of us questioned why these students were not directed towards community colleges to complete their remedial work prior to gaining full acceptance. When I looked at the course catalog, I was stunned at the ratio of 0, 1, and 2 level courses to 3 and 4 level....which told me that many students did not last beyond freshman and sophomore years.

Now that my son is in the midst of college applications, I was hesitant to to encourage him to investigate UTSA as one of his choices. After we looked closer, we found that the school has changed greatly (physically and academically) since we attended. I applaud recent actions taken by UTSA to raise standards.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM

437 posts, read 639,026 times
UTSA is a completely different school from the 90s....
And even just during the 2000s, the school transformed greatly. It's still growing exponentially, so much that it would be ridiculous for your son not to consider UTSA.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:12 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
UTSA is a completely different school from the 90s....
And even just during the 2000s, the school transformed greatly. It's still growing exponentially, so much that it would be ridiculous for your son not to consider UTSA.
Oh, he is. I was just reluctant at first, but it really is a completely different place.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:28 AM

135 posts, read 191,597 times
UTSA was my back up plan if I didn't get into UT lol only cause I knew anyone can get in. It's good their making it a bit tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio