Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 PM

135 posts, read 191,618 times

Advertisements

They can build these schools out of gold if they don't change the way they teach it won't matter you still end up with a not so smart kid, but hey they can fill in the bubble right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 PM

And what is messed up non of that money goes into some of the schools they have inside of 410 just cause of location they treat those kids and schools like there the bottom of the barrel! It's sickening really.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
And what is messed up non of that money goes into some of the schools they have inside of 410 just cause of location they treat those kids and schools like there the bottom of the barrel! It's sickening really.

I don't know if it says in that article, however, one news story stated that many of the improvements would be in the older schools, not the newer ones.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 PM

I hope so one of the schools I worked at was falling apart! I couldn't believe it was a north side school...I'll always vote for school bonds except for NEISD cause man those fools be fools with the money lol

Old 01-19-2014, 07:32 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
I hope so one of the schools I worked at was falling apart! I couldn't believe it was a north side school...I'll always vote for school bonds except for NEISD cause man those fools be fools with the money lol
Really? How so? What school was that?

For EVERY school that was built in NEISD, they went back and made improvements or REBUILT an older, existing school. That was part of the bond, to insist on equity for all schools. For instance, MacArthur, Lee, Roosevelt, Churchill and Madison have all been remodeled/rebuilt, such that Reagan, the second "youngest" school in the district, is actually the "worst" school in terms of space, infrastructure, and facilities (it is currently undergoing construction.) Elementary schools had permanent buildings added to replace portables (when it was clear the population would not decrease, roofs and A/C replaced, A/C added to gyms, wiring and wireless capability increased.

As for the "way things are taught", please be more specific.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Schools were not air conditioned when I was young. We also didn't have designer-inspired cafeterias and classrooms. Kids from those days turned out Ok. I'm not sure why you equate those things with being uneducated. Far more to education than fancy buildings and furniture.
Most employers today expect entry-level employees to have some computer proficiency. A student can't learn about computers sitting in a classroom that has no computers. Most classrooms now have wifi and data projectors, because many of the materials used in teaching are online or produced with a computer. Those materials accommodate different learning styles. Research shows that some kids learn better from a multimedia presentation than they do from words written on a whiteboard and it should be obvious that some subjects would be taught more effectively that way.

And the buildings they're building aren't fancy. I've toured multiple buildings in the NEISD, both new and old. In the newer ones, the wall surfaces are cement block. There's nothing fancy about that style of construction, but it's definitely sturdy and it looks nice because it's painted in colors that fit the setting. The hallways in these new buildings have exposed HVAC ductwork and plumbing. The levels of finish NEISD uses in school buildings are much more spartan than those used in large homes and corporate settings.

Some of the design choices being made are for energy efficiency. As a taxpayer, I really like the idea of sending fewer tax dollars to CPS Energy over the life of the building. NEISD recently built a LEED-certified elementary school on 1604 that produced so much energy savings that the district has made it a policy to build ALL schools it builds in the future as LEED-certified.

I can't vouch as specifically for the choices that other districts are making, but I've seen and learned enough about what NEISD is doing with school construction to be convinced they're spending bond dollars wisely.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I can't vouch as specifically for the choices that other districts are making, but I've seen and learned enough about what NEISD is doing with school construction to be convinced they're spending bond dollars wisely.
I've seen the same for NISD, and am also convinced they are spending the bond dollars wisely as well!

Part of the 2007 Citizens Bond Committee meant going through each and every proposal and determining whether it was truly needed or not. Not everything makes the cut, and sometimes the decision was simply due to costs. We tried our best to suggest other options but some simply were not economically feasible.

Still, NISD did an impressive job of preparing the bond for our review. I remember the superintendent (Dr. John Folks at the time) was concerned over the $692M dollar proposal we came up with, which was over $250M more than the previous bond; but it was approved by the voters as has every other NISD bond proposal since 1992 (which was the only bond proposal to fail since 1949). Northside ISD Voters have passed almost $2.5 billion in bond construction programs since 1995, so obviously the majority of people support the issue and the projects being proposed!

More information on NISD bonds can be found at Bond | Northside Independent School District.

Cheers! M2

Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 AM

89 posts, read 258,991 times
Anyone with knowledge of Northside ISD knows that they go out of their way to involve ALL stakeholders in the Bond process...including staff, parents, students, community members, etc. The Citizens Bond Committee they rely on to guide their decisions is comprised of 250 members whose input drives the entire process.
I would encourage anyone thinking the Bond is frivolous or unnecessary to go visit some of the older campuses in the district and see the needs firsthand. I have seen some of those older campuses and I will say this, those campuses and those students deserve a Bond!

Old 01-29-2014, 08:05 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Northside board approves $648 million bond - San Antonio Express-News

It will go up for vote in May.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
As a taxpayer who feels he pays too much already in property tax. I would vote NO. However using the "It is for the children" arguement....it will pass just like any other bond since 1949 (except for the one in 1992).

I personally feel that the schools are doing wasteful spending. I mean...remodeling Reagan again already as another poster pointed out....is that really necessary for a school of that age? Sounds like poor planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio