Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM

20 posts, read 44,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Curious to your thoughts on a suitable neighborhood for us. We are looking to be centrally located near Olmos/Alamo/etc. neighborhoods. My wife will be commuting to univ med center and I will be working in a few different places around town. No kids. We are getting a labrador. Looking to move in around June.

We need:
2-3 bdrm
fenced in yard
quiet as possible

Would prefer rental home over apartment if we can find a home that checks enough boxes.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Lots of views, any inputs?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:15 PM

85 posts, read 201,136 times
3k/month allows for a lot of options in SA. Sounds like you're looking for a single family house with a yard. I rarely see houses for rent in Olmos park, but I've never actively looked. Maybe they're just hidden. There seem to be more houses for rent in Alamo Heights with several in the cottage district for 2,000-2,800/month. AH is a good area and it is known for its schools, but the housing stock is mostly 1920s-40s.

Since schools aren't a big deal for you, I'd also consider Monte Vista and Mahncke Park. You get a little more bang for your buck compared to anything in AHISD but still have a good central location. You'll want to be careful with the location of either one, as both neighborhoods can get marginal around the edges. A good stroll around any available rental neighborhood will tell you what you need to know. If you want quiet, you'll also want to be at least a block away from San Pedro, McCullough or Broadway.

Castle Hills is a bit further north but also worth a look. Lots of 60s-70s ranch-style housing stock there. It's pretty centrally located and well kept.

Basically, at 3k/month you can get a place almost anywhere in the city. I love the neighborhoods inside 410 personally. Perhaps you can tell us what you like about the "Olmos/Alamo/etc" area? Or maybe what you like about where you are now?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Does $3K/month have to include property taxes? Because at that level of house payment, you'd probably be facing a $20K+ annual property tax bill.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Does $3K/month have to include property taxes? Because at that level of house payment, you'd probably be facing a $20K+ annual property tax bill.
He's looking at rent rates, Bo......not to buy.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 AM

790 posts, read 1,881,215 times
For $3,000 a month, you definitely have a lot of options. I will say traffic in the medical center area can be a bit of a bear. No one has weighed in on that, but there are other threads about that if you'd like to check them out.

If I were to move back to SA today (I live right outside DC and work 2 blocks from the White House), I'd look at Alamo Heights first (zip 78209). Particularly if I had a dog. Without a dog, I'd consider the Pearl area, but that is mostly apartments.

If I really wanted to be close to the Pearl area and I had a dog, I'd consider Mahncke Park. There are some brand new townhomes around there with smallish yards. I seriously think the developer can't sell them and has resorted to renting. I have some reservations about Mahncke, however. Can't put my finger on it...still gentrifying, still some really bad streets. Alamo Heights is generally nice, no matter what the street. Houses in AH can be rare and they may not be renovated. But it's a good, central area.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by austindoxie1972; 02-24-2017 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: gramma

Old 02-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
He's looking at rent rates, Bo......not to buy.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks. I am woefully out of touch with rental rates, so I will bow out of this one.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedCoffee View Post
3k/month allows for a lot of options in SA. Sounds like you're looking for a single family house with a yard. I rarely see houses for rent in Olmos park, but I've never actively looked. Maybe they're just hidden. There seem to be more houses for rent in Alamo Heights with several in the cottage district for 2,000-2,800/month. AH is a good area and it is known for its schools, but the housing stock is mostly 1920s-40s.

Since schools aren't a big deal for you, I'd also consider Monte Vista and Mahncke Park. You get a little more bang for your buck compared to anything in AHISD but still have a good central location. You'll want to be careful with the location of either one, as both neighborhoods can get marginal around the edges. A good stroll around any available rental neighborhood will tell you what you need to know. If you want quiet, you'll also want to be at least a block away from San Pedro, McCullough or Broadway.

Castle Hills is a bit further north but also worth a look. Lots of 60s-70s ranch-style housing stock there. It's pretty centrally located and well kept.

Basically, at 3k/month you can get a place almost anywhere in the city. I love the neighborhoods inside 410 personally. Perhaps you can tell us what you like about the "Olmos/Alamo/etc" area? Or maybe what you like about where you are now?
Appreciate the input.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 AM

Clarifications: we are planning to rent for a year and then buy a house.

My wife currently lives at Eilan apartments by the Six Flags. Her commute has not been a problem down I-10 to the medical center. I will be working both in that medical complex and various other sites around the city. Have never been to the central neighborhoods like Alamo Heights but people in my group love the location in regards to commuting to various centers around the city.

A concern is smaller lot sizes in the more central neighborhoods. We would like around 0.5 acres or more. The greener the better. Again, I don't know the neighborhoods well yet. Looking at satellites pics, Shavano Park looks appealing. Gotta figure out commutes first.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 AM

Appreciate inputs regarding crime. We want to be in the safest area possible and preferably established neighborhoods with no in-progress gentrification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio