Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM

67 posts, read 274,905 times

Advertisements

In unincorporated Bexar county how much land must you have in order to legally discharge a firearm? Not hunt, but just shoot. I can't find anything looking through the Bexar county website. The sheriff's office tells me one thing & a deputy sheriff told me another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:58 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,934 times
I think that it is 40 acres, but I could be incorrect.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 PM

447 posts, read 1,043,904 times
Last I heard it was 7 acres, outside the city limits.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Per Section 229.002 of the Local Government Code...

Quote:
Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or

(2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

(A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

(B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 18, Sec. 4, eff. May 3, 2005.
But be smart, and still consult a lawyer before shooting anything!

Cheers! M2

Old 01-28-2014, 04:27 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,934 times
I love how Max always comes through with the actual code.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 AM

67 posts, read 274,905 times
Thanks Max. I have a trigger happy neighbor on the 3 acres next to us. So now I know he doesn't have enough land, he' too close to the neighbor on the other side and he shoots across boundaries. Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with it, we shoot on our 40 acres, except he only does it when I'm riding my horses or teaching little kids to ride. When asked not to, he made a point to ONLY do it when someone was riding. Just 'cause.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 PM

447 posts, read 1,043,904 times
Videotape him doing it then call the Sheriff.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 AM

22 posts, read 93,449 times
Growing up in a rural area I was unaware of this law. It was very common to hear guns. It wasn't until one of my coworkers told me of when they had the sheriff called on them here for shooting. The sheriff told them of the rules max cited above, but also told them they only really enforce them in rural areas if they get complaints. I think the coworker was only like 5 acres or so,he only got a warning btw.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:27 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srteblue View Post
Growing up in a rural area I was unaware of this law. It was very common to hear guns. It wasn't until one of my coworkers told me of when they had the sheriff called on them here for shooting. The sheriff told them of the rules max cited above, but also told them they only really enforce them in rural areas if they get complaints. I think the coworker was only like 5 acres or so,he only got a warning btw.

I don't think the regulation quoted is the whole story it says that a Municipality "may not" regulate in those specific situations. It does not say that a Municipality has to regulate any other situations, has the City of San Antonio put any law on the books to regulate firearms in the XTJ not exempted by that state law?

Also I would imagine that if the City is attempting to regulate in the XTJ that they would also be responsible for enforcement, so the Sheriff's office may not be into enforcement unless people are just being very stupid.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 25,750 times
I've been trying to find the same information (and also for archery on smaller properties). I have found some municipal codes which are pretty explicit (and within the framework cited above), but not much about in the county. Is it safe to assume that places like Timberwood Park are considered in the county if you aren't paying San Antonio property tax? If that's the case, and I find a property that has a good backstop on the edge of the development and shore up the backstop a bit on my own, would it be kosher to shoot suppressed in my back yard after consulting with the neighbors and local PD (maybe throw up a range flag as a safety/courtesy practice)?

As an aside, if anyone else is wondering about archer, from what little I have found so far, New Braunfels, Cibolo, and Converse have specific exceptions for archery in their weapons discharge ordinances (Converse even allows air rifles--both archery tackle and air rifles must be under adult supervision if used by a minor, projectile cannot be reasonably expected to cross property line, etc), and I didn't see mention of "bow" or "arrow" in the Universal City ordinances. Incorporated San Antonio and Schertz explicitly forbid archery within the city limits. Also sling shots are apparently very naughty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio