Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times

Advertisements

Ms Linda Grace. Good and bad parts in any large city.
The fictional character Iron Man 2 was shot on location in New Mexico. If one drives out I-10 West far enough you may catch Iron Man in flight. May catch sight of him in Albequerque. I would try to move there, instead of here.
I have visited St. Louis and seen the Gateway Arch it is an amazing sight to
behold ms Grace. No exaggeration. The giant stainless steel arch is far more impressive than our Tower of the Americas. I think our Tower here would fit snugly underneath of it.
Former CD member Dopo, relocated here from St. Louis, like you Linda. He has since moved to Houston though. Was a member here while passing through, Dopo entered a post once stating that St. Louis has some pretty bad areas in that city as well, worse in fact than here. Rougher. I believe him.
Now- he has been back online here since moving and entered a post or two about Houston. Stating that "Believe it or not Houston reminded him of St. Louis".
His words.
Here it is better, so Dopo said.
San Antonio is not Utopia . Though there is a Utopia Rd. off of Goliad Rd. on the southside it does not lead to it. I would not believe it if I were you.
San Antonio is Nirvana however.
Utopia Rd, also, by the way used to flood really, really bad during heavy rains, til' they fixed it.
That said, of course San Antonio isn't perfect. Name me a perfect city. There's no such thing! Apparently traffic can be atrocious (I live close to work and don't have to get on the highway so traffic is nothing for me). I also miss having a Major League Baseball team. I miss having a good public transportation system. I miss green summers. I miss houses that don't start looking beat down from exposure after ten or so years.

I'd advise you to come visit before you move. Drive around a bit, get a feel for the place.

And yeah, New Braunfels is as much like Mexico as St. Louis is, which is to say not at all.[/quote]

Last edited by huckster; 03-27-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM

11 posts, read 31,825 times
Thank you for all the thoughtful and informative posts. I do realize how ignorant the original question sounds. I was embarrassed to ask, but I've never been to Texas and those friends have family there. So they actually have visited. (just who knows where, I guess.) I assumed they were being dramatic, but maybe I'd get some helpful info. And I did. : ) I will check out Austin and Corpus as well. Thanks again, I really do appreciate it.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:00 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
One point of info. I was in San Diego about 10 years ago. In the hotel, I picked up a real estate book. There was a house from a well known builder who has presence here and in San Diego. The same 1900 sq. ft. house was 550,000 in San Diego and 180 K here.

No city is perfect, of course. You should visit.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
One point of info. I was in San Diego about 10 years ago. In the hotel, I picked up a real estate book. There was a house from a well known builder who has presence here and in San Diego. The same 1900 sq. ft. house was 550,000 in San Diego and 180 K here.

No city is perfect, of course. You should visit.
I've visited SA twice and I can say that its a very nice town!

Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 AM

ATTENTION: Thank you to all the kind posters. I appreciate the positive comments and the insight. It's hard to get a feel for a place just driving around cold. It's true that perception is reality. If I am looking for great weather and fun festivals (thank you LindaGrace) or even "stay away from this area" then I know how to go about it. For those who say "stay home, we don't need y'all." Just can it. I mean seriously. I'm not looking for abuse and maybe I opened myself up to it but it doesn't mean you have to take the shot. That's not what this forum is for. I'm just being open, throwing out a ridiculous statement I heard and waiting for the rabid defense of your wonderful city. When people feel honor-bound to defend their awesome hometown, they are going to paint it in the best light. They will tell me the best details that I might miss just driving around in a rental car. I have no friends there. There's no one to show me the ropes. That's why I came on here. So I appreciate those who share their love of SA on here. If you're a mean hillbilly douche with terrible grammar, please keep it to yourself. If you're funny, and sarcastic. That makes me laugh. ; ) But don't be mean.

And thank you Ranchodrive for the link to those beautiful pics!

It sucks to live in a place that I hate. I've been here 10 years and made it work, but I am ready to leave and want to be excited about my next move. I want to know what I'm getting into. I want to be smart about it. I want to hear from people on the ground. Not the chamber of commerce and welcome brochure. That's how they hooked me here. lol

Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Welcome,Colorodonites,

San Antonio needs two more Hillbillies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim&gia View Post
ATTENTION: Thank you to all the kind posters. I appreciate the positive comments and the insight. It's hard to get a feel for a place just driving around cold. It's true that perception is reality. If I am looking for great weather and fun festivals (thank you LindaGrace) or even "stay away from this area" then I know how to go about it. For those who say "stay home, we don't need y'all." Just can it. I mean seriously. I'm not looking for abuse and maybe I opened myself up to it but it doesn't mean you have to take the shot. That's not what this forum is for. I'm just being open, throwing out a ridiculous statement I heard and waiting for the rabid defense of your wonderful city. When people feel honor-bound to defend their awesome hometown, they are going to paint it in the best light. They will tell me the best details that I might miss just driving around in a rental car. I have no friends there. There's no one to show me the ropes. That's why I came on here. So I appreciate those who share their love of SA on here. If you're a mean hillbilly douche with terrible grammar, please keep it to yourself. If you're funny, and sarcastic. That makes me laugh. ; ) But don't be mean.

And thank you Ranchodrive for the link to those beautiful pics!

It sucks to live in a place that I hate. I've been here 10 years and made it work, but I am ready to leave and want to be excited about my next move. I want to know what I'm getting into. I want to be smart about it. I want to hear from people on the ground. Not the chamber of commerce and welcome brochure. That's how they hooked me here. lol

Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Thanks Huckster. I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm, of which I wholeheartedly approve. Your previous posts were thoughtful, informative and helpful. Wish this forum had a live chat feature. Would be cool and way faster.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Oh, and I DO have a chainsaw. Pretty sure I even own a flannel. I know I've got a shovel. Maybe I am a Hillbilly. (cue banjos and gleeful shouts)

Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,200,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim&gia View Post
ATTENTION: If I am looking for great weather and fun festivals
Be sure to check out Wurstfest!

www.wurstfest.com

Old 03-29-2014, 01:51 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
umm "machete"? yep. I am a native. A tiny, 5'4 little anglo lady ready to SHANK you! Well, don't cut me off on 410!!! You will feel my WRATH! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio