Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Source? I googled the sentence quoted and the only result was a link to this thread.
The source that black Irish linked to says something about waivers in the last paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:09 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Source? I googled the sentence quoted and the only result was a link to this thread.
It came from the article you posted a few days back.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:31 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Can I get a discount on my property taxes every time a parent decides to keep their kids home? I would like to think the $5,500 I pay per year is used to educate kids, not just keep schools open while half of the kids go to chick-fil-a.

People that homeschool their kids should get the discount.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:38 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
People that homeschool their kids should get the discount.
But not the people without kids?

My issue isn't with parenting style. My issue is with how the schools handled this poorly. Either close the schools or keep them open and make everyone attend. It is a waste of money to keep the schools open at half capacity.

The school administrators clearly should have gotten feedback from the parents before deciding to keep the school open or not because most parents decided to keep them home or take them around town while the schools remain open which costs money for us all!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Actually from day one they said "we dont believe this threat is credible". The definitely isnt saying "this is a hoax" but it was at least enough for me to not worry about it.

I dont begrudge anyone who erred on the side of safety but there was definitely enough info out there for me to believe this was much to do about nothing.
I will be happy to scan our letter we received on "day one". It said nothing of a hoax, it said, verbatim: "While this may well be a hoax, we have to treat this threat seriously." It made no other assumptions toward the threat. It certainly never made any assumptions in its discussion about SAPD and stated that they were working with SARIC and the FBI in verifying the validity and tracing the source.

That was Friday.

Only on Tuesday evening did I hear anything officially from SAPD as far as being certain there was no credibility. By that time, THEIR credibility was in question.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Student absences cost schools more than $1.4 million | Northside Independent School District

As a parent, taxpayer in NISD, and an elementary school teacher I find this thread comical! The banter is priceless. I only had 11 students in my class out of 28. Best day ever!!! And before anyone makes a comment about $$$ your property taxes do not pay my salary. The state does. Keep up the banter know-it-alls!
Why do you say that property taxes don't pay your salary? Yes, the state provides some funds to the districts. I would think, however, that if the state was fully responsible for teacher salaries, that teacher salaries across the districts would be the same. In other words, why would the districts on the south side of SA pay less than NISD or NEISD if the state was taking care of it?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Monday was more dangerous...

Madison High School student with 3 loaded guns in custody | News - Home

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 AM

172 posts, read 238,644 times
I hate it when I am right about something like this. Like I've said in previous posts, the schools are more dangerous any other day of the year then on the day when someone actually makes a threat. Thursday had massive police presence at elementary schools and regular patrols at all the other schools, today, no one is looking for it and something like this happens. This isn't I told you so, but more of a wake up call. If you are willing to keep your kid(s) home on Thursday when a baseless threat is made with security tightened up everywhere and not realize every other day is more dangerous, like today, I feel sorry for you.

This world is royally messed up compared to the one I grew up in and I'm only 31. What needs to happen now is a new bond to be passed add a .5% to 1% tax just to install appropriate security measures at the school that can keep the schools safer year round, not just when a bogus threat is made. And yes I have a 6 year old daughter, so as a parent this terrifies the heck out of me, but I just won't live my life in fear because I don't want my kid to, I want her to smart and educated about life, but not fear it.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
I hate it when I am right about something like this. Like I've said in previous posts, the schools are more dangerous any other day of the year then on the day when someone actually makes a threat. Thursday had massive police presence at elementary schools and regular patrols at all the other schools, today, no one is looking for it and something like this happens. This isn't I told you so, but more of a wake up call. If you are willing to keep your kid(s) home on Thursday when a baseless threat is made with security tightened up everywhere and not realize every other day is more dangerous, like today, I feel sorry for you.

This world is royally messed up compared to the one I grew up in and I'm only 31. What needs to happen now is a new bond to be passed add a .5% to 1% tax just to install appropriate security measures at the school that can keep the schools safer year round, not just when a bogus threat is made. And yes I have a 6 year old daughter, so as a parent this terrifies the heck out of me, but I just won't live my life in fear because I don't want my kid to, I want her to smart and educated about life, but not fear it.

I am so glad you're around, because none of us ever even thought that something might happen today! Whew. Thank goodness for your supreme insight.

Good grief.

Are you bright enough to think maybe someone wants the bonds to pass so badly they staged the whole threat?

Again, it's not about living your life in fear. Never has been.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM

172 posts, read 238,644 times
What's so funny is, I'm not talking down to anyone, just pointing out a fact. You come across as condescending and rude, while all I said is that what I and many others thought might happen did. I'm sorry that you can't negotiate a thought that isn't so negative and rude. It's not about supreme insight, it was in reference to people yanking their children out on a day that would be safer than others and then let their kids go to school the very next school day when in reality more of a threat existed today than the previous.

As far as someone staging this threat just to pass a bond, I highly doubt that, who really wants to risk going to prison to get the conversation about a bond put out there and miss out on seeing and spending time with their children (no non-parent would do something so drastic/stupid).

For someone who says they are not living their life in fear, you sure respond to posts as someone who is afraid.

This is the last post I'll make on this topic, so feel free to rake me over the coals (oh no someone on the internet is belittling me without utilizing a second of deep meaningful thought). I've said all I wanted to say and was really hoping someone would answer my question about what possible good thing could our children learn by staying home last Thursday about how to deal with a very weak threat, but alas no one has taken me up on that. So with that, I'll move onto posts that are much more positive, progressive, and entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio