Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:31 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times

Advertisements

Yes folks, it is coming...as early as March there may be a Texas-wide database that shows if drivers have insurance or not. It is about time...

Cheers! M2

Quote:
Database tells officers if stopped vehicle is insured
By Brandi Grissom / Austin Bureau
Article Launched: 12/17/2007 12:00:00 AM MST

AUSTIN -- The chances getting busted for driving without insurance will increase dramatically starting next year.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted material

(Source)

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2007 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 11:34 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Well,alright now!!! Good deal.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:01 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,297 times
I remember a few years ago there was 4 car pile up somewhere around Military and Hwy 90. Guess what. Nobody had insurance.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:21 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
This needs to go nation wide.. I can't imagine how mad I would be if a car hit me and the driver got out and said they didn't have insurance. I think I would snap...

Old 12-17-2007, 01:59 PM

180 posts, read 793,995 times
Good! But what happens when they catch someone w/o it?

About 3 years ago, we got hit from behind. The young lady tried to get us to go just down the road to her uncle's shop and not call the police. Yeah right. She didn't have insurance. We had uninsured motorist with a $500 deductible. The costs were more and USAA told us we could go after her in small claims court if we wanted to but they were giving up after a year of no success in her paying the claim. It makes me sick that we were out the $500 and this lady can go off scot free.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times
On one hand, I look at this and say "Yes, this is a great idea!" On the other hand, it worries me because it's just one more thing that seems like it's taking away our privacy. I've had my problems with an uninsured driver hitting me and then having to deal with my insurance company to take care of it. It sucks, and uninsured motorists should be penalized. But it's a slippery slope, to start taking away yet more of our personal privacy. There's already a lot of things that the police can see when they run your tag -- things that don't necessarily have anything to do with whether or not you're a criminal.

I don't know, I'd almost rather have to deal with the uninsured motorists than to give anyone more of a look into my personal business.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:52 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by did0c View Post
Good! But what happens when they catch someone w/o it?

About 3 years ago, we got hit from behind. The young lady tried to get us to go just down the road to her uncle's shop and not call the police. Yeah right. She didn't have insurance. We had uninsured motorist with a $500 deductible. The costs were more and USAA told us we could go after her in small claims court if we wanted to but they were giving up after a year of no success in her paying the claim. It makes me sick that we were out the $500 and this lady can go off scot free.

Technically, there is no 'deductible' for uninsured motorists' coverage. In Texas, you are responsible for the first $250 of the damages. The reason it is not identified as a 'deductible' is because on coverages that have deductibles, you can choose the amount of the deductible, which will affect your premium. Not so with UM coverages; it's the first $250 - that amount can and does vary by state, BUT it is always the same, on everyone's policy, on every carrier's policy forms.....

It probably seems like a petty point to consumers, but you'd be surprised at how many people want to 'change their deductible' on UM coverages. If you read your policy, a section of it will explain that 'we' (the carrier) will pay for damages over and above the first $250.00' OR 'we will pay for damages to your vehicle caused by an unsinsured motorist or vehicle, less $250.00".... language varies by state and by carrier.....

Old 12-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Your Constitutional right to privacy does not apply to public places like roads. And there is no "right" to drive, only the state-granted privilege that comes with certain restrictions and responsibilities, one of which is to have insurance. There is no gray area of the law, you either have it or you don't.

You don't have to be paranoid if you abide by the law. It is the lawbreakers that have to worry...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Technically, there is no 'deductible' for uninsured motorists' coverage. In Texas, you are responsible for the first $250 of the damages. The reason it is not identified as a 'deductible' is because on coverages that have deductibles, you can choose the amount of the deductible, which will affect your premium. Not so with UM coverages; it's the first $250 - that amount can and does vary by state, BUT it is always the same, on everyone's policy, on every carrier's policy forms.....

It probably seems like a petty point to consumers, but you'd be surprised at how many people want to 'change their deductible' on UM coverages. If you read your policy, a section of it will explain that 'we' (the carrier) will pay for damages over and above the first $250.00' OR 'we will pay for damages to your vehicle caused by an unsinsured motorist or vehicle, less $250.00".... language varies by state and by carrier.....

Great, but that still means that if you are hit by an UM, you have to 1) pay for the first $250 worth of damage to your car and 2) deal with the hassle of having to get your car repaired by yourself.

The UM coverage should go away and anyone caught driving without insuranc either pays a $1000 fine or spends 30 days in jail. Stiffer penalties will discourage people from driving without insurance, and if they can't afford it, there is always a public transportation system that a lot of lower-income peopel utilize. Again, there is no "right" to drive in this country or state!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-17-2007, 04:38 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
I think this is wonderful news. But aren't they already supposed to be able to tow vehicles that they stop or are in an accident if they have no POI? I remember there was a big stink when that was first passed because some felt it was not fair to low-income people. Hello???? They most definitely should not be driving then, if they are not going to be financially responsible when they hit me. It seems like we always try to eliminate any motivation to better yourself when we let stuff like liability insurance slide. Yes, it's expensive. But so are my car repairs when you fail to have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio