Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 PM

12 posts, read 12,649 times

Advertisements

So I have been following this forum for a long time now, and have found a wealth of information that I would like to thank everyone for. I am, right now, Deployed in Afghanistan as a Combat medic. Now, I will be getting out of the army in july 2015. Well, with terminal leave and school drop probably sooner but anyways, I was in San Antonio for my individual training and loved it. However, I do have a couple worries about it. My first and foremost is getting bored there. Im 21, as is my wife. We have no kids so we plan on trying to make friends and have fun as soon as possible. However, we worry due to the numerous threads about how boring SA can get.

I plan on buying a house and paying it with my post 9/11 GI Bill I got from the army. This gives me the flexibility to really move into any city of my choice. Originally from California, I am now a hard conservative who wishes to pursue Med School and California, from Ideals to COL (cost of living) Texas just makes more sense. I just worry that maybe Dallas, or even Austin would be a better choice for a couple like us. We enjoy Los Angeles nightlife, and although we probably wont find a nightlife equal to it, wed like to have somewhat of a similar experience.

This is a Big life decision for me, and although a forum with stranger I have never met will not decide my decision, if good points are made valid, I will deffinetly heed advice. Thanks everyone, hope you have a great week!

P.S. If any former 68w moved to SA and are going to UTSA or the alamo colleges, can you PM me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:48 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,008,068 times
As I have said on numerous occasions, if you are bored in San Antonio, it's not the city's fault! We have lived here for over 12 years total (PCS'd here twice, then retired here) and we still find things to do every weekend.

People who spout that complaint remind me of the dudes that used to say the same while sitting around the barracks day room when I was stationed in the UK early during my career. They expected the fun to come to them. I bought a small motorcycle and probably saw as much of that island as I could during my two years there. I have fond memories that still make me smile to this day, they probably remember watching reruns of Dallas on the VCR.

As for being a "hard conservative," Austin is probably the last place you'd want to live! Dallas wouldn't be to far behind, either. San Antonio is probably the most conservative city in Texas, even though that is starting to slip away ever so gradually...

I would agree that San Antonio may not be the best choice for a young single person; but for married people between the city and the surrounding Hill Country, the list is almost endless. I would recommend checking out the events listing on the San Antonio Current website: San Antonio Current | Events Calendar, Restaurants, Clubs

Good luck with your decision, but when the time came for us to decide on a place to retire, both the wife and I agreed that San Antonio was our best CONUS assignment. I still travel quite a bit as a contractor, and while I enjoy going other places it is always nice to come back to the Alamo City!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,396,501 times
Default I can,

Picture you Max, cruising all over Britain on a small motorbike, seems like a good fit. Must have been interesting as all spoke english anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio