Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM

9 posts, read 9,597 times

Advertisements

My husband and I , would like to move to San Antonio.We are in Guadalajara,Mx right now,before that Canada,before that Germany....so we know that before we move he has to find a job .And because your forum about the city of San Antonio is very interesting
I want to ask you some questions about the life over there.We are Canadian citizens so TN NAFTA visa will not be a problem for us,but we need a job offer.My husband is an industrial maintenance plant supervisor, he works with CNC machines ,injection molding machines etc and supervises people as well.He is 50 years old and I am 46.On TN visa I will not be allowed to work. I have many questions for you and I will greatly appreciate if you can answer as many as you can
1.What is the job market for industrial maintenance plant engineers in the city of San Antonio
2.How you deal with the heat...we like to run in the evenings
3.Which park,not a trail.... is good for running or walking in Schertz...or do you use the machines to run in your house on A/C
4.How much money is enough for 2 people
5 What kind of salary is appropriate for his working position,he has 30 years of experience in maintenace of electrical systems,electronics,PLCs,pneumatic and hydraulics,mechanics,numerical system controls,etc.....help if you know
7.Do you have friends ...engineers...and how much do they earn...what is the take home salary after federal taxes,pension adjustments etc.
8.What about bugs in the houses?Snakes....
9.What do you do when is so hot outside,where do you go,what do you do for fun
we have 2 boys,24 and 26 but they will not be with us,so it is just us
10.San Marcos....can you find good bargains
11.Live concerts in the city...celebrities attending live concerts, etc
12.Do you know Canadians who bought houses on TN visas...how much is the mortgage on a 150000 house and what salary will be ok for that price tag
13.How much you save per month...
14.My husband is 50 years old....is it a problem,I mean he wants to work until retirement
15.We are vegetarians....organic food.... prices..... and can we find vegetarian places to eat
16.Do you personally like it there and why
17.How long is your vacation from work and how do you cope with the heat if you work in a factory
18. On this forum there is nothing about jobs and how to go about that.On Yelp there are 330 recruitment agencies...can you tell me if they are helpful....
19.Everything that comes to mind in regards to weather,houses,prices,work especially...parks,bugs and what do you do and where do you go for fun that will be good and interesting to us
20.Main concerns...work and heat,if you can elaborate on them please..
Thank you in advance
Regards

Last edited by net777; 07-28-2014 at 01:48 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,065,645 times
Wow...any other questions? I think you should read some of the other posts and most of your questions will be answered.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:03 AM

Your Status update is
People.Are.Dumber.Than.You.Think!

and I think that I will wait for somebody else to answer my questions.There are people out there who will help me

Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 AM

Why don't you just browse through some of the other posts and think for yourself? Almost all of those questions have been answered previously.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:52 AM

I actually did it...but could not find anything related to jobs and the heat and such,but now I know what chiggers are,and that people go tubing on a river full of crocodiles and that is something I am not interested in

Last edited by net777; 07-28-2014 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 AM

River full of crocodiles huh? Alrighty then. ...and nothing posted about the heat?? Hmmm.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by net777 View Post
I actually did it...but could not find anything related to jobs and the heat and such,but now I know what chiggers are,and that people go tubing on a river full of crocodiles and that is something I am not interested in
wow!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 AM

I am absolutely anxious to receive real answers to my questions

Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
We don't have crocodiles in Texas. If you see one, it's probably because some moron kept one as a pet and released it into the wild. We do have alligators, but I cannot recall a single news story where someone in Texas was killed or even injured by an alligator here.

I know people who tube in Central and South Texas all the time, none of them have said anything about alligators.

As for chiggers...this is Texas, you can't escape bugs. Chiggers don't bother me nearly as much as mosquitoes do. They LOVE me. Wear bug repellant and you'll be fine.

As for other stuff...snakes, scorpions, etc., that's just part of life here. I don't see scorpions where I live (north Texas) but I've lived in Austin and have visited SA more times than I can count. I've seen them down there occasionally but they didn't bother me. They weren't huge or scary; just step on them and move on. And shake out your shoes before putting them on.

As for snakes, learn to distinguish the poisonous from the non-poisonous ones, and remember that even non-poisonous snakes may bite and those bites can be painful. So...just avoid them. I've had only one bad snake bite in my life, and that was from my brother's pet snake that had escaped and was hiding in a kitchen cabinet. I reached in and BAM! the snake struck my hand. I still have a scar from that one!

Crocodiles. In the rivers. SMH.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,721,374 times
Quote:
My husband and I , would like to move to San Antonio.We are in Guadalajara,Mx right now,before that Canada,before that Germany....so we know that before we move he has to find a job .And because your forum about the city of San Antonio is very interesting
I want to ask you some questions about the life over there.We are Canadian citizens so TN NAFTA visa will not be a problem for us,but we need a job offer.My husband is an industrial maintenance plant supervisor, he works with CNC machines ,injection molding machines etc and supervises people as well.He is 50 years old and I am 46.On TN visa I will not be allowed to work. I have many questions for you and I will greatly appreciate if you can answer as many as you can
1.What is the job market for industrial maintenance plant engineers in the city of San Antonio

Not sure

2.How you deal with the heat...we like to run in the evenings

I run in the evenings. Start after 6pm at the very least. It gets dark at about 8:45 in the summer.

3.Which park,not a trail.... is good for running or walking in Schertz...or do you use the machines to run in your house on A/C

Parks are small. You'll be running on a trail. Trails in San Antonio are not wildernessy and off the beaten path. They are mostly concrete or with a little bit of rocks. There are many.

4.How much money is enough for 2 people

Depends on the stuff you like
5 What kind of salary is appropriate for his working position,he has 30 years of experience in maintenace of electrical systems,electronics,PLCs,pneumatic and hydraulics,mechanics,numerical system controls,etc.....help if you know

Don't know

7.Do you have friends ...engineers...and how much do they earn...what is the take home salary after federal taxes,pension adjustments etc.

Nope

8.What about bugs in the houses?Snakes....

You will see snakes at times but they aren't an every day thing. The last time I saw a snake was under a bridge on a run. You will see roaches, some scorpions and other normal house bugs.

9.What do you do when is so hot outside,where do you go,what do you do for fun
we have 2 boys,24 and 26 but they will not be with us,so it is just us

Anything any normal person would do.

10.San Marcos....can you find good bargains

Sure

11.Live concerts in the city...celebrities attending live concerts, etc

We do get some concerts but to see any celebs you'll have to go to Austin, mostly during SXSW.

12.Do you know Canadians who bought houses on TN visas...how much is the mortgage on a 150000 house and what salary will be ok for that price tag

Nope sure. Depends on your down payment no matter your status.

13.How much you save per month...

How much were you saving before? That sounds about right.
14.My husband is 50 years old....is it a problem,I mean he wants to work until retirement

Why would it be a problem?

15.We are vegetarians....organic food.... prices..... and can we find vegetarian places to eat

We do have some organic and healthy spots, but they're hit or miss. There are a few vegetarian places to eat. As far as organic food you'll have to find a bigger HEB, Whole Foods or Spourts. We do have a pretty large Farmers Market network, though. Organic prices are average here.

16.Do you personally like it there and why

I've been here most of my life.

17.How long is your vacation from work and how do you cope with the heat if you work in a factory

Normal American holidays. I get a day off a month so it might add up? I work in an office so I wouldn't know about factories.

18. On this forum there is nothing about jobs and how to go about that.On Yelp there are 330 recruitment agencies...can you tell me if they are helpful....

Depends on the field. Obviously research the field. Search "industry" in San Antonio. I found my job using a niche job board for non-profits. Also use Indeed.

19.Everything that comes to mind in regards to weather,houses,prices,work especially...parks,bugs and what do you do and where do you go for fun that will be good and interesting to us

It does get hot. Yes. You just have to grin and bear it. Housing, prices vary depending on where you are and what you want. Our COL is lower, but property taxes are high. We have a pretty wide network of trails and greenways that are fun to explore. I wouldn't limit myself to just "parks." There are no crocodiles in the river. I don't even think there are any in this area. Fish yes. Snakes every once in a while. Rivers, lakes, fishing, tubing, swiming are all things we enjoy.

20.Main concerns...work and heat,if you can elaborate on them please..

Again, I don't know anything about the job market in that industry. However, the heat is a hot and humid heat. Cloudy in the morning with the clouds burning off in the afternoon. It's hot hot from about late June until October. Those other times it's plesant. I love being outside before then. If heat is going to be your main concern I would cross San Antonio off your list.

Thank you in advance
Regards
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio