Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:38 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,777,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drzy View Post
I tried to go the first day and had trouble finding it. I knew there were two separate roads of Kyle Seale, one off 1604 and the other off Prue. What I didn't know is that there are now three completely disjoint sections of Kyle Seale, none of which are accessible from the others.

The library is in the middle section. To get there, take Hausman inside the loop and turn right at the first light you come to (the new Kyle Seale). It's almost immediately on the left. It's not on Google Maps, Mapquest, etc. yet.
THANKS DRZY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM

265 posts, read 1,191,101 times
Can you "order" books online? Where I live right now, I can go on & search, then order books my library branch does not have thru an interloan system.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:57 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
Can you "order" books online? Where I live right now, I can go on & search, then order books my library branch does not have thru an interloan system.
Yes, you can reserve books for pickup at any branch.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,777,375 times
Quote:
Yes, but if it's an interloan transaction, that is seamless and invisible for you.
You merely indicate which book/cd/dvd, whatever it is you want, and the library finds it and if it is not 'owned' by the branch, they make the interlibrary request and tell you when you can pick it up at the branch of your choice.......

I just love it.....

Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,008,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
I've used the library system for years. What I like about it is you can log in and search the entire catalog. When you find a book you want, you can have it sent to the nearest branch for pickup. It is a very user friendly system, allowing you to check when your books are due, renew them, put them on hold, etc. They also have a new system where you can self-check out your books. Again, very easy to use.

Our nearest branch is the Cody Library. The only other one I've been lately is the main library, a.k.a the Red Enchilada building downtown. Nice building, but it is just easier to order online, so to speak, and then go pick up the books. Google their website and check it out!
cody library is TOO small and always filled with no good loud kids who don't know how to stay quiet.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
The Red Enchilada is my local, and I love it. To be honest we don't use it as much as we should because buying books is my vice, but we're happy with it.

I need to start looking at their DVD collection. Has anyone used that? Hadn't been an issue til now, but I'd like to start borrowing films if possible. When I lived in CT, our local library had an excellent collection of foreign films (still in the video days).

Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,443,479 times
I love the my local Oakwell branch, it's just the right size. It also has a several quiet study rooms. After that it would have to be Landa, it's defiantly one of the most unique libraries out there. I'm also looking forward to the new Roosevelt branch to open at Roosevelt high school.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 PM

156 posts, read 304,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
cody library is TOO small and always filled with no good loud kids who don't know how to stay quiet.
Those would be my kids probably. Just remember--those no good kids are going to be changing your diapers one day. Better be nice. Karma bites.

I've never seen any older children being too loud, IMO. (at the Cody branch) Maybe you've forgotten that you were once one of those "no good kids"?? My girls are very quiet at the library--too busy browsing or reading to be talking most of the time. My 2 year old, well, she's very much a two year old. I do the best I can with her. I can't avoid the library altogether just because I have a toddler. That's not fair to my other girls.

I am new to the area, and I have to say--the library system here is the only thing so far that I have found disappointing. I love S.A. overall, BTW. But--I'm a SAHM-- homeschooling 3 children. I also have that 2 year old in the mix. I REALLY depend on the library to supplement my curriculum. I moved from a very small town that is a suburb to a city that is much smaller than S.A. The library system there was so much better. Larger facilities, more branches and for less densely populated areas! I was really shocked at how few local branches there are here--especially considering the population--AND the enormous property taxes. I was expecting fabulous, knock-my-socks-off library facilities. Eh-not so much.

I agree that Cody is too small. Plus, the Cody branch is very poorly designed--poor layout. It's not nearly enough sq/footage for the amount of people that go there. It's usually pretty crowded. Also, it's just one big, completely open room. A library with that many patrons should have "wings"--different large rooms for each department.

In the ittybitty town I moved from, the adult section was completely separated from the children's section. So, nobody had to deal w/ anyone's "no good loud kids who don't know how to be quiet!"

Just for the record, if 2 year olds aren't welcome in SA's libraries, then they should put it in large lettering on a sign outside the building. It would have to say,

"NO NORMAL CHILDREN, TODDLERS, OR BABIES, PLEASE. OUR CHILDREN'S SECTION IS NOT ACTUALLY MEANT TO BE USED BY CHILDREN."

I mean, those bins of little baby board books aren't meant for 13 year olds, yk?

Last edited by autiger92; 05-05-2008 at 12:39 AM..

Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 PM

265 posts, read 1,191,101 times
No one mentioned there is no public library north of 1604 except for the Reagan High School library, which opens at 4:30 p.m. when the kids are off campus (a real convenient time to be heading out in Stone Oak traffic, I might add). Closest library to Stone Oak appears to be Brook Hollow. What a bummer.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
No one mentioned there is no public library north of 1604 except for the Reagan High School library, which opens at 4:30 p.m. when the kids are off campus (a real convenient time to be heading out in Stone Oak traffic, I might add). Closest library to Stone Oak appears to be Brook Hollow. What a bummer.
Not surprising given that area is relatively new, and just about all services are lagging behind the housing developments.

Would be great if developers, along with all the houses, threw in some more roads (leading to the subdivisions) and some things like libraries, schools, shops, fire/police services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio