Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 AM

13 posts, read 19,289 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'm relocating to SA due to work which locating at South side.

Since I'm not sure where is a good place to live in the area and hoping you guys could give me some tips.
My concerns are; safe neighborhood and good school district.

Oh and I don't mind a bit of drive; 30 min or so....

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 01:05 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html

Old 02-17-2015, 03:16 AM

60 posts, read 86,932 times
A 30 min drive will not be out of the South Side or barley if you're lucky, due to the traffic. And south side is the worst. But to be fair it all kind of runs together. It all sucks. If you send your kid to school in nice clothes and a new pair of shoes once every year, he will probably get picked on. The kids are mean south side. ( I know, my sister in laws kids are always getting picked on for this exact reason.) Can't really say anything good about that side of town. The "Far West Side" by 1604, is a nice developing area. Still going to take forever to get to anywhere but the place isn't overly in the bad parts of town.

There are no safe neighborhoods in the South Side.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,137 times
Above is mostly right. Even if you do find a nice house, the school districts are terrible. I just bought a house at military and 1604. It's a beautiful community in a very good school district (Albeit not the best). I work downtown and have about a 35 minute drive to work. it may not be a terrible drive depending on which part of the Southside you work.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:50 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aye470 View Post
Above is mostly right. Even if you do find a nice house, the school districts are terrible. I just bought a house at military and 1604. It's a beautiful community in a very good school district (Albeit not the best). I work downtown and have about a 35 minute drive to work. it may not be a terrible drive depending on which part of the Southside you work.
Classic drivel. Always blame the district and not parents or when old enough the child itself. Kids every year graduate from SAISD, South San, Harlandale, etc and go to Ivy League schools or numerous other top tier 1 universities. If you have a problem with a district, then look at the parents living in it.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:07 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesncatsup View Post
A 30 min drive will not be out of the South Side or barley if you're lucky, due to the traffic. And south side is the worst. But to be fair it all kind of runs together. It all sucks. If you send your kid to school in nice clothes and a new pair of shoes once every year, he will probably get picked on. The kids are mean south side. ( I know, my sister in laws kids are always getting picked on for this exact reason.) Can't really say anything good about that side of town. The "Far West Side" by 1604, is a nice developing area. Still going to take forever to get to anywhere but the place isn't overly in the bad parts of town.

I work on the southside every day. While I can't comment on the schools (no kids), you are so wrong about the traffic.

If I leave before 8am from my house on the northside, I can make it to my work on the southside in under 30 mins.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,137 times
Didn't mean to offend. I suppose speaking in such generalities will do that. I understand what you are saying TXEX06. I wasn't speaking to whose fault it was that any situation is the way it is. I am more just thinking about what kind of school district OP was talking about when he said he was looking for a "good school district" There are rough kids at any school but I don't feel like it is any well kept secret that south san is rougher than brandeis. I know you think I know nothing about this, but I have a family full of educators and have a pretty thorough understanding of the expectations placed on the students at each school. (Mainly high school). I also understand that those expectations are different almost entirely based on how willingly the schools average student is likely to respond favorably to higher standards. I hold absolutely nothing against a kid who goes to that school and finds great success.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesncatsup View Post

If you think traffic hear is that bad, I can tell you've never lived anywhere with real traffic.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM

13 posts, read 19,289 times
Thank you for replies guys!!

According to few people from my office who are coming from North side that traffic isn't too bad.
It’s definitely better than 60 min of commute for only 16 miles here in LA.

I guess North or North West is good choice for family, based on comments here on city-data, but how about Far West? Is it family friendly; lots of park and safe to waking around in neighborhood?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackodaniel View Post

I guess North or North West is good choice for family, based on comments here on city-data, but how about Far West? Is it family friendly; lots of park and safe to waking around in neighborhood?
Far west and northwest are one in the same here at CD. There really isn't a distinction. However, if by far west you are thinking Culebra outside of 1604 (actually anywhere e west of151 for me) there is one big park, Government Canyon. The Leon Creek greenway isn't very far, but it is a drive. I am sure there are small parks with playgrounds on them scattered throughout neighborhoods. I think the only part of San Antonio that is not family friendly is downtown and even then it can be family oriented depending on the exact location. You will be safe walking in your neighborhood anywhere on the northwest/far west side. I don't know if I would want to walk to the grocery store or anything, but walking the dog, kids playing in the street, etc you will be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: