Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:48 PM

23 posts, read 134,389 times

Advertisements

I just stumbled on this post while researching San Antonio.
I belong to a direct buy in Long Island, New york. I love it.

I joined 8 years ago when I built a new home. I have saved a bundle. I bought and continue to buy as much as I can through them.

At first I thought it was too good to be true. But the owner said to me try it out and if you don't like it, I will let you opt out and refund your money within 30 days. I'm so glad I tried it. I have seen things in the stores that I bought through direct buy for double what I paid. I compare prices all the time. I'm spoiled now. I can't buy retail!

They are all independently owned and operated, so I don't know about the one in your location, but check out another one if there is one nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 PM

72 posts, read 290,204 times
My husband and I have been members for 2 years now. If we could do it over we probably would have kept our $3800. However, we saved $1000 on our Jennair stove and microwave and I ordered a new bed last week that I am saving $1600 on (and believe me I searched the ends of the internet for the best deal on that bed). However, you don't save on everything, for example our Kenmore fridge was cheaper at Sears and the Playstation 3 is cheaper at Best Buy. We are trying to make the most out of and to really save money you better be buying the high end merchandise.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 AM

72 posts, read 290,204 times
Default Direct Buy in San Antonio

My DH and I joined Direct Buy a couple years ago and yes we have saved money on some big purchases. However, it just is not what we thought it was going to be. Also the service is not the most friendly. I would be interested to see if anyone here is a member and if so what has their experience been like

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-28-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 AM

905 posts, read 2,960,087 times
We joined a similar business over 15 years ago. The price back then was much cheaper than the $5K offered now - somewhere around $1200, if that much.

We were just starting out and were able to buy several items for the house that would have cost quite a bit more if sold through the retail stores. I'd say we got our money out of it.

The membership was for 3 years, and at the end of the time, you had to re-up. We bought what we wanted in that 3 year time frame and didn't re-up. Good thing we didn't because a couple of years later, the business folded.

Furniture has such an outrageous markup on it. There are so many other ways to avoid these high prices, some already mentioned. Check out some of the local auction houses. If you know what you want and how much you want to pay for it, you can get some really nice and unique pieces. Also, check out the estate and garage sales.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:21 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,973 times
Bingo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
I don't know about "too good to be true"... but this is definitely not the way to go for anyone who is going to be spending less than $50K on remodeling, etc. My mom saw their commercial and dragged me along to the "special invitation" information session in a small, light-industrial office park near I-10 & DeZavala. We were shut in a room with a video touting the mega-buck savings found on their merchandise, then led around a showroom where ridiculous retail prices were quoted for items that they carried at a supposedly massive discount. Then they said you had to sign up right then and there for membership ($5,000!!!!!!) in order to get access to their catalogs and price lists, and if you left the showroom they would not allow you to join later. (yeah, right...)

It was obvious it was a trap as soon as I saw the group being herded into the video room, but I couldn't leave without my mom so I was stuck. All I can say is that you'd have to be doing a HUGE remodeling/decorating job in order to recoup enough savings to cover the $5000 membership fee and see any additional value. Anyone else would be wise to forget about this high-pressure direct marketing operation.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM

17 posts, read 51,564 times
I have been a member for about 2 years now and I think it was about 4k up front when I joined. I purchased alot of new furnature as well as alot of electronics through there and have saved well over 5k. So its already paid itself off in full. I also have several friends that have a membership and they have saved a ton over the years.

It is certainly not the way to go if you are a impulse shopper, but if you don't mind waiting a few weeks to get your item of choice it will definitly save you $$ in the long run.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 AM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,697 times
Wifey and I went to one of their sales pitches years ago (2001/02) in N. Chicago area. She had actually drank too much kool-aid so I had to take her outside and remind her that we had but an apt. and even if $$ could be saved, we didn't possess near room or $$ to reap the benefits...

Exactly as CelesteDF described, except I don't think the membership was quite as high back then. Of course, we didn't win the car they offered for folks to come in and they said we'd never be able to join again. Something tells me they'd take us with open arms now. FO-GET-IT.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM

12 posts, read 42,743 times
Dallas is a mega merchandise market, items are bought by local area businesses in the Metroplex during closeouts and sample sales, clothes, furnituire, equipment ect... check the dallas craigs list

Old 07-03-2008, 04:50 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,673 times
Seems to me that you would save just as much money buying from yard sales, thrift shops, craigslist and garbage piles. And you don' have to pay the huge up front fee to get the savings.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM

17 posts, read 51,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Seems to me that you would save just as much money buying from yard sales, thrift shops, craigslist and garbage piles. And you don' have to pay the huge up front fee to get the savings.

you would be very supprised at how much mark up is done on most of the things you buy.

Think of it like this, would you into "name brand" furniture store and pick out your new living room set..

OR would you rather go into a catalog that gives you the same "name brand" furniture for 40/50+% off?

This sort of membership is certainly not for everyone, but if you are someone that does spend a good junk of change on bit ticket items it is well worth your time.

I think my neighbor who signed up ended up saving something like 5k on appliances when they built their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio