Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM

14 posts, read 146,616 times

Advertisements

Okay i moved here from california, and i never once thought about styrofoam cups, because i was just used to using paper ones. Then i moved here and almost every fast food restraunt i have been to used styrofoam cups, and as im driving down the road in every empty or semi empty water way its filled with these styrofoam cups. I wonder if they know the devistation this causes our planet. Okay im not claiming everyone has to be green all the time, but making little changes will never hurt either. I know it would be great if we could just bring our own reusable drinking cups and just pay for the refill but i dont see that happining any time soon, so paper, which is biodegradable seems to be a much better option. Here is some info i found on this nuisance.
[SIZE=2]As early as 1972, researchers identified potentially toxic styrene residues in a majority of Americans sampled. By 1986, styrene was found in 100 percent of all samples of human fat tissue taken as part of a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Human Tissue Survey. Researchers found that Styrofoam cups lose weight when in use, meaning that styrene is oozing into the foods and drinks we consume. It then ends up stored in our fatty tissue, where it can build up to levels that can cause fatigue, nervousness, difficulty sleeping, blood abnormalities—and even carcinogenic effects oh and i really love this one [/SIZE]Both paper and Styrofoam contain molecules made up of millions of atoms held tightly together. For either to rot, takes the action of small animals, fungi, or microbes in the soil. These organisms have the digestive juices and enzymes that can break down giant molecules found in plants, and therefore digesting paper, a byproduct of plants, comes naturally to them.

However, these organisms have yet to evolve the enzymes specific to breaking down the dissimilar giant molecules found in Styrofoam and other plastics.

There have been recent advances that boast of plastics that have parts of their giant molecules similar in structure to that of wood.

These plastics, unlike Styrofoam, will rot in the environment because they are biodegradable. Until the organisms in our soil evolve into Styrofoam eating beings, it is fair to say that the environmentally conscious person has reason enough to put out the extra money and go with paper cups.

Think about the millions of Styrofoam cups eternally lying dormant in parks, cities, and other places where we now see litter.

Then think about if it would have made a difference to the environment had these cups been paper instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 03:53 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
The use them because in the humidity the styrofoam keeps your drinks cooler and the ice from melting longer.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
The use them because in the humidity the styrofoam keeps your drinks cooler and the ice from melting longer.
Yep, it's not that we're unenlightened here. It really does make a big difference how long your fountain drink stays cold in the sun. Those cups may be bad for the environment, but they're a competitive necessity for any fountain drink seller who wants to sell to the many thirsty construction/landscape/outdoor workers in SA.

Last edited by Bo; 01-04-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 05:16 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
If you REALLY want to get sick at the idea...how about disposable diapers???? Think of how many ONE kid goes thru up to potty training age!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
I can only think of one fast food place with Styrofoam and thats Chick-Fil-A? Who else uses it?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:15 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I can only think of one fast food place with Styrofoam and thats Chick-Fil-A? Who else uses it?
Whataburger.

Also remember Styrofoam is much lighter than paper cups, so they waste less fuel carting them around.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 PM

796 posts, read 3,049,186 times
Sonic uses them too.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Most little generic, mom and pop places use them also.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Valero and Tetco stations use foam cups, too. Good luck convincing those places to change.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
Some places also use those thick plastic cups also. Almost like something you would buy as a permanent drinking cup for your home.

Which of the two is worse for the environment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio