Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 8,318 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom of two looking to move to Texas to teach secondary education. I've searched the internet and found the San Antonio school districts to have a competitive salary compared to some places such as Houston, but with much less crime and more affordable housing. If my findings are off, or if you have a better city to suggest for me I'm all ears.

As I mentioned I'm looking into San Antonio. I searched for low crime areas and found northern San Antonio and western San Antonio to be the best areas. However, I'm still at a complete loss of which neighborhood to actually look into further for relocation. Here's some things I'd like the ideal neighborhood to have (nothing is an absolute must have).

What area/neighborhood in San Antonio would offer (not organized by importance):

1) Decent public schools (my children would be in elementary)

2) Culinary diversity (I'm a foodie and loveeee international cuisine)

3) Affordable housing and overall affordable area for a single mom with two kids on a teacher's salary (which is looking to be around 50K)

4) Low crime -since this is very much relative let's go with I'd like my kids to ride their bikes in the neighborhood safely and I'd like to walk to my car at night without fearing a mugging.

5) I absolutely hate driving, but realize it's a necessity so the shorter average commute time the better.

6) I'm pretty open and flexible about where I live. I just want an affordable/safe area to raise my kiddos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 956 times
If renting try the Medical Center. Obviously your commute will depend on where you teach. The Medical Center is in the largest school district, NISD. It also has diversity and not just of the culinary kind.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,567 times
NE/NW sides have great public schools.

you wont find much of that here sans downtown areas. this city is riddled with gross, hole in the wall mexican joints that come and go every few years, much like the computer repair businesses here.

affordable housing is subjective. whats your budget?

low crime is subjective also. there is crime everywhere, but moreso on the south, east and west sides. the NE/NW sides are the least crime infested areas of SA, also the nicer parts. the south/east/west sides, while they may have POCKETS of good areas in them, are surrounded by section 8 housing, run down neighborhoods with no HOA, poor streets, degenerate neighbors, etc etc.

ppl will think im a bit harsh on this, i dont really care. drive around and see for yourself. drive around at night on the south/east/west sides, then tell me you really want to move there >.>

Old 04-11-2015, 08:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
You might want to secure a teaching position first. In San Antonio, the market is highly competitive.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,318 times
Thank you for all who responded. Some good information there. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...etro-info.html

Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0gwai View Post
I'm a single mom of two looking to move to Texas to teach secondary education. I've searched the internet and found the San Antonio school districts to have a competitive salary compared to some places such as Houston, but with much less crime and more affordable housing. If my findings are off, or if you have a better city to suggest for me I'm all ears.

As I mentioned I'm looking into San Antonio. I searched for low crime areas and found northern San Antonio and western San Antonio to be the best areas. However, I'm still at a complete loss of which neighborhood to actually look into further for relocation. Here's some things I'd like the ideal neighborhood to have (nothing is an absolute must have).

What area/neighborhood in San Antonio would offer (not organized by importance):

1) Decent public schools (my children would be in elementary)
Southtown offers this: Bonham Academy. Brackenridge High School isn't quite up to par in some minds, but it's getting there

Pearl area as well with Hawthorne Academy (and Great Hearts Charter school in the vicinity)

Quote:
2) Culinary diversity (I'm a foodie and loveeee international cuisine)
Southtown, definitely. Many many independent restaurants and bars, it's a foodie heaven.
Pearl area, again.

Quote:
3) Affordable housing and overall affordable area for a single mom with two kids on a teacher's salary (which is looking to be around 50K)
Southtown, not so much. I know of a few teachers from our local school who live in the neighborhood, but they bought their houses years ago when values were very low. It's hard to find a cheap place now, but doable if you move further to Lone Star or SoFlo neighborhoods.

Pearl area - more options with Tobin Hill, Beacon Hill, Alta Vista

Quote:
4) Low crime -since this is very much relative let's go with I'd like my kids to ride their bikes in the neighborhood safely and I'd like to walk to my car at night without fearing a mugging.
Generally, both Southtown and the Pearl area fit the bill. However in Southtown we've had a recent crime wave. Not really sure why, but the police and community are heavily involved in stopping it. Mostly it's property crime. I still feel safe walking around at night, taking proper precautions, and my kids ride and walk all over the 'hood in the day time.

I think the greater Pearl area is perfectly safe as well, but I don't spend as much time there.

Quote:
5) I absolutely hate driving, but realize it's a necessity so the shorter average commute time the better.
The urban core is generally best for being walkable. But it'll depend on where you get a job...I'd get the job first, then decide.

The neighborhoods I described are historic and older, some being revitalized, some well established and in great shape (and thus more $$$).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio