Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:59 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My sister has 2 kiddos who have been homeschooled but she wants to put them into regular school and she's zoned for Larkspur (78216). Can anyone give any personal experience or details about this school? I looked on Great Schools and it has a 4 rating out of 10 so it doesn't seem very good and the couple of parent reviews said they don't want parents involved at the school, helping out etc. which seems weird to me.

She is asking about doing school choice but she doesn't have transport and I know you do have to transport the children yourself if you do school choice.

So her only option right now is Larskspur and I'm having a hard time gathering real information about the every day nitty gritty of the place.

Bearing in mind also that these kids have never been in a public school system and they're ages and 8 and 9, respectively.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:00 PM

864 posts, read 867,076 times
My sources inside NEISD confirm it is a rough school with very little parent involvement. Although the reason given for that is the low SEC of many of the parents. My kids are in NEISD and my wife and I do a lot of volunteer work for the district. I would try to get a carpool or find some way to get my kids to another school.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
A low performing NEISD school is always going to be better than a low performing SAISD school. Larkspur, Jackson Keller and Olmos Park are some of the lowest performing schools in the district, but I'd still put my kids in one of those schools before i put them in a low/medium performing SAISD school. That's just my "I don't have kids but lived in the area" experience.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM

27 posts, read 28,077 times
I'm in a similar predicament. My children are zoned to go to Larkspur as well. However, I've seen the same low ratings and I'm a bit worried as well. I'm leaning towards charter schools.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:38 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Realize that the education your child receives at Larkspur will be good...the "low-performing" comes from STAAR test results. Schools that draw from a lower SES tend to be lower performing, as those kids tend to arrive at school with more needs (social, behavior and economic). One of the biggest factors in a child's educational success is parental involvement and support (not necessarily volunteering, but playing an active role in a child's education). Title 1 schools will have less parental involvement as those families tend to be squeezed for time. Those schools encourage parental involvement!

I would have suggested touring the school while school was still in session, but it's too late this school year.

Charter schools are not necessarily going to be better.

Whatever you choose, please look at more than one metric or data source.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Realize that the education your child receives at Larkspur will be good...the "low-performing" comes from STAAR test results. Schools that draw from a lower SES tend to be lower performing, as those kids tend to arrive at school with more needs (social, behavior and economic). One of the biggest factors in a child's educational success is parental involvement and support (not necessarily volunteering, but playing an active role in a child's education). Title 1 schools will have less parental involvement as those families tend to be squeezed for time. Those schools encourage parental involvement!

I would have suggested touring the school while school was still in session, but it's too late this school year.

Charter schools are not necessarily going to be better.

Whatever you choose, please look at more than one metric or data source.
And as parents do your part as far as being involved, providing reading opportunities at home, sit and work with your child and help out at the school whenever possible.

Parent involvement is always welcome!

Old 06-26-2015, 04:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post

Parent involvement is always welcome!
Parental involvement is necessary! I teach at a recognized elementary school within SAISD (many exemplary schools within the the district also) and I will echo everything Pobre said. I actually take offense to Ash's ignorant post.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:51 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Parental involvement is necessary! I teach at a recognized elementary school within SAISD (many exemplary schools within the the district also) and I will echo everything Pobre said. I actually take offense to Ash's ignorant post.
I am a product of SAISD and did very well. As did all my siblings. My parents were also involved in our education.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:32 PM

366 posts, read 494,159 times
Not sure where all the talk of parental involvement came from as these kids have been homeschooled so you don't get more involved in education than that. What I want to know is what Larkspur has to offer. What are they bringing to the table?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Because we are answering your question. Your initial post referred to Larkspur supposedly discouraging parents.

Parental involvement is going to make your friends children's education better. Like I said, the education they'll receive is fine. It's the kids who don't have that support that often struggle more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio