Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:06 PM
210 210 started this thread

1,722 posts, read 2,253,688 times

Advertisements

http://xs308.xs.to/xs308/06450/citysouthsmall.PNG (broken link)

City South is a 64 sq. mile area of far south San Antonio. Currently it is majority rural farm land with little tiny settlements of population scattered all around.

With current and future developments under the rule of a "flex" zoning code there will be no suburban sprawl whatsoever in City South, developments will be urban, compact, walkable.

Well to put it better:

Quote:
Nearly all the design features that have been the norm in suburban development of the past 40 years are forbidden in City South — barring exceptions under carefully defined circumstances, or the open-ended loophole of the City Council's authority to designate a special-use district.

In general, the "flex" code decrees no gated subdivisions and no large tracts of single-family houses on lots of the same size. It summarizes the intent of urban development as being to encourage "compact neighborhoods and centralized commercial areas that promote a sense of community and are pedestrian and transit friendly."
Some of the developments built/under construction are:

Hunters Pond
Hunters Pond II
Preserve at Medina River
Espada

For much more indepth information copy and paste the following Express-News link.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA111206.1P.citysouth.1d5b6b8.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 04:19 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,668,040 times
The biggest problem I see them facing in the next few years from people with kids is the thought that the schools there are not up to par with those schools in the Northern areas and also almost all the private schools that I know of are in the downtown area north. The ISDs down there are really going to have a hard time at the beginning because of the lack of huge tax bases like NISD has with USAA,Valero,Sea World, Fiesta etc. It will be interesting to watch though!

Old 11-12-2006, 05:01 PM

Do you know which ISD's will be in City South? It won't be SAISD so that's a good thing. And schools will be built into City South, both Terramark and Espada have plans for schools.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:19 PM

852 posts, read 3,821,062 times
No way this becomes the premier area of San Antonio. Schools aside, one of the keys to location is elevation, and the Southside doesn't have it. As long as people literally and figuratively want to live above other people, flat areas will not be as popular as those higher.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:38 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,668,040 times
For what I see it looks to be 4 isd's (this was a quick look see on the internet nothing offical) East Central ISD on the far eastern side of it. Southside ISD sort of in the middle with maybe some Edgewood ISD and also Southwest ISD on the western side maybe. Good perhaps that its not all one district but I see that as a downfall also. I lookered at the DR Horton website for the houses they have down there and those were East Central. I see lots of growing pains!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
No way this becomes the premier area of San Antonio. Schools aside, one of the keys to location is elevation, and the Southside doesn't have it. As long as people literally and figuratively want to live above other people, flat areas will not be as popular as those higher.
I think you're wrong big time. It'll be a premier location because it'll provide real dense urban living. Which is right now a great quailty of life. Elevation has to be one of the least factors, if it is even one.

Not to mention the south side isn't "flat" it has hills (not large ones) but ther eis elevation to the land down there.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
For what I see it looks to be 4 isd's (this was a quick look see on the internet nothing offical) East Central ISD on the far eastern side of it. Southside ISD sort of in the middle with maybe some Edgewood ISD and also Southwest ISD on the western side maybe. Good perhaps that its not all one district but I see that as a downfall also. I lookered at the DR Horton website for the houses they have down there and those were East Central. I see lots of growing pains!
Those are all good districts. Edgewood ISD would probably be the lesser of the four but even then it's still a nice district however I don't believe it'll cover too much of City South.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 AM

119 posts, read 545,060 times
I think it would be a huge asset to San Antonio to have a well developed area on the southside, but my concerns are what is currently down there. 210, your map you posted with the bad areas (crime) of San Antonio on a different thread illustrates that. I think peoples' perception of the "Southside" will hinder its success.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:27 PM

I disagree. Just look at the far west side, nice, clean, growing fast. The inner west side (probably the worst area of San Antonio) didn't hinder the far west side's growth.

This is the same with City South.

City South is everything south of 410, which right now is just rural farm land and a few homes here and there.

The current Southside (inner south side and south central) has an unfair rep because of some of its history. Yes I classified some of it as a "avoid" area in my map. Honestly, not because it's incredibly violent and unsafe, but because of the the shape of homes and its a very very blue collar area of the city. It's an area wrapped in rich cultural history that quite frankly natives to the south side would understand/accept/like.

Again, that's just the "south side" (inner south and south central SA) the southeast and to some degree the southwest (although home to a lot of industrial and miltary facilities) are quite the opposite.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM

BexarMet sold the land to Terramark.

Quote:
Bexar Metropolitan Water District's (BexarMet) board of trustees approved the sale of several hundred acres of land at Cassin Lake on San Antonio's South Side for $2 million.

BexarMet sold the land to Terramark Communities Ltd., a residential developer with projects throughout the South Side.
http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio