Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
...and local residents didn't want it there, but WM bullied their way in anyway. I remember reading that there was a good deal of opposition.
The only good thing that came from it was a cut through to the Woods of Shavano from Lockhill Selma, avoiding the bit of a cluster that Lochikill Selma and De Zavala can be since Lockhill Selma cut through from 1604.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 06:54 AM

952 posts, read 2,636,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
Walmart is in the process of building four 24-hour Neighborhood Markets with gas stations in San Antonio, according to city and state records.
Each of the stores will cost about $6 million and span about 42,000 square feet.
A Walmart representative didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.
Walmart’s Neighborhood Market format, which it rolled out in the late ’90s, is less than a fourth the size of a supercenter and carries a smaller selection of merchandise such as clothing and electronics. The stores include a pharmacy and employ up to 95 workers, according to the Walmart’s website.

Walmart plans four new stores in San Antonio - San Antonio Express-News
Yep can't wait. Currently I go to the one on Leslie rd. The one even closer will be on Shaenfield/Galm.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:29 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,790,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... Sadly. Walmart creates false illusion that buying cheap junk is frugal.
People shopping at Walmart think that it's irresponsible or decadent to buy a quality items that they can use for decades at a reasonable price. They go for cheap and buy often...
Anyone remember when Wal Mart used to brag they bought and sold "Made in the USA" products? That didn't last long.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,737,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Yep can't wait. Currently I go to the one on Leslie rd. The one even closer will be on Shaenfield/Galm.
I absolutely love the one they opened over here at Military and Hunt Ln. Always clean, always stocked and literally every employee you come in contact with stops and says hello. I half expected the friendliness to wane after it had been open a while but it's as good now as it was on the day they opened.

Interestingly the article the OP quoted says that the neighborhood stores carry smaller selections of clothes and electronics. My store doesnt carry any of that. Just groceries and household items (detergent, light bulbs, etc)

Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,902,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... Sadly. Walmart creates false illusion that buying cheap junk is frugal.
People shopping at Walmart think that it's irresponsible or decadent to buy a quality items that they can use for decades at a reasonable price. They go for cheap and buy often...
I have a lot of things I've bought over the years at Walmart that have lasted...glass baking dishes I bought 20 years ago, a slow cooker and a blender of the same vintage, a newer slow cooker I've had for a decade, curtains, etc.

Some of the more expensive things I've bought other places have not lasted...hundred dollar sheet sets that wore through after less than a year, knife sets that didn't keep their edge. Price really isn't an indication of how long everything will last. Some things, sure, but not everything.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:02 PM

108 posts, read 119,758 times
The Walmart at Marbach near Hunt is ok but I don't have any reason to go there. They have a bunch of stuff I never buy and I usually just go to Family Dollar when I do. I needed tube socks because my feet were cold. I didn't know if that crazy store had them but I knew Family Dollar did. I just went there.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 AM

520 posts, read 782,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Anyone remember when Wal Mart used to brag they bought and sold "Made in the USA" products? That didn't last long.
I was stationed in Europe through most of the 90's so I only caught glimpses of it's growth on the two times I came back to CONUS, but I remember both the Made in USA signs everywhere in the stores and an AR native civilian co-worker always touting how great Wal-Mart was with it's prices, treatment of workers, and devotion to selling American made products.

Times have changed.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:02 AM

1,040 posts, read 879,971 times
Walmart serves their purpose, but not mine. I wouldn't go into one if you paid me.

Glad they're continuing their success. They're the only spot in town that can easily beat HEB in terms of cost and that's fine with me... Competition is a brilliant thing.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:10 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,467,857 times
The one on 1560 will be SO much more convenient for us in the Alamo Ranch area than fighting the Culebra 1604 intersection!

Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 PM

437 posts, read 639,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
Glad they're continuing their success. They're the only spot in town that can easily beat HEB in terms of cost and that's fine with me... Competition is a brilliant thing.
More often than not, Walmart is more expensive but not by much.

With that said, I have not set foot in Walmart in years, mainly because of the lack of healthy selection. Would like to know from someone if this has improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio