Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I don't think we have an 'official' watch - there has been talk of one, and I think we even have someone that has volunteered to head it up, but that's it. Again, it comes down to getting warm bodies to help out!

With any large group of people, crime rates rise. BUT, the good issues usually rise too!
I think it would be pretty tough to put together. If you're working full time I don't see how you could put any time into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I admittedly have a lead foot but I don't speed in residential areas.

I definitely applaud their speed enforcement focus here. I wish they would extend it off the main thoroughfares though. The 30mph speed limit in the residential areas is too high IMHO, because those that don't care or maybe just not paying attention push it to 35+.

One of the cops here used to sit at the Military Drive/Kingsbridge intersection which I wish they would do now and again. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't see someone ignoring the 4 way stop rule.
I've requested through Bexar County to have a car monitor the traffic on our street due to the speeders and recklessness...they sent one, but he sat at the end of our street, completely visible to everyone. I don't think he caught anyone, except for those that rolled the stop sign...

Quote:
I think it would be pretty tough to put together. If you're working full time I don't see how you could put any time into it.
My in-laws participate in one at their community - once it's fairly organized, it's just a matter of volunteers doing a few hours of watch 1-2 times a week. (if there are enough volunteers). I'll check and see how far the VWOA has gotten with the idea...

Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Quote:
I admittedly have a lead foot but I don't speed in residential areas.

I definitely applaud their speed enforcement focus here. I wish they would extend it off the main thoroughfares though. The 30mph speed limit in the residential areas is too high IMHO, because those that don't care or maybe just not paying attention push it to 35+.

One of the cops here used to sit at the Military Drive/Kingsbridge intersection which I wish they would do now and again. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't see someone ignoring the 4 way stop rule.
Many times while driving down Military Drive W into Westcreek, I'll get someone on my tail even though I'm going a couple of miles over 35MPH. If they're so close that I can't see their front tires anymore, then I'll tap the brakes a few times to get their attention and they back off. This road can be dangerous as many people use the "bike lane" for walking/running, including pushing baby carriages.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
I drive at night for work and those joggers/walkers in the bike lanes need to realize they are basically invisible. Especially when they're dumb enough to wear dark colors. I've noticed this quite a bit lately.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:19 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,716 times
Last year I was almost clipped by a women driving a big truck yacking on her cell phone - in broad daylight!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:05 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
such a dangerous combination...

I've had that happen more than enough times to me also. The worst was a young woman texting on 90. I wanted to bump her off the road so bad...

Old 04-08-2008, 11:34 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,422,493 times
Sandy at the VWOA office is looking for volunteers to run their sno-cone machine for the Luau this weekend, if anyone is interested...contact the office for more info....

Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
I am a Wynwood @Westcreek resident recently there was an incident on our property. My 2007 Chevy Tahoe was left on my landscaping bricks. I do not have any fancy rims they are just basic factory rims and tires. The dealership said that there has been a recent number of Chevy Tahoe, Suburban and Corvette rims and tires being targeted so beware if you have these....someone is out to get them.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 PM

744 posts, read 1,209,527 times
I heard of another one of our neighbors this happened to last week and from what I understand the police caught the individuals in the act on a different vehicle a couple of nights later. You should check with them to see if the ones they caught may have still had your rims in their possesion. I will try and get exact dates and location of the arrest when I get home and talk to my wife she usually remembers that kind of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio