Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 08:10 AM

303 posts, read 364,743 times

Advertisements

Nothing like a little FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) to whip the bubble into a frenzy.

The Day a Stranger Tried to Take My Child

Katy Corrigan (the author of the post) didn't think to call the police, but she certainly had enough time to write up a dramatic blog post, and even give an on camera interview to KSAT regarding the incident:

Mom says strangers tried to lure her child away at H-E-B

Of course, HEB is thinking, WTF? So they launch an investigation and get the FBI and SAPD involved, which after a little digging they find out that nothing ever happened:

FBI says reported abduction attempt didn't happen

KSAT went back to Katy to interview her again, but now she's as tight as a clam... won't speak with the media, and has an attorney.

Meanwhile, the blog, which almost certainly is loving all the traffic and attention, removes the post and doubles down on Katy Corrigan

A Heartfelt Message From Alamo City Moms Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
I'd almost rather not discuss it, since the original intent was probably attention-seeking. Why reward someone for lying?

Old 05-21-2016, 08:45 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,828,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I'd almost rather not discuss it, since the original intent was probably attention-seeking. Why reward someone for lying?
But.....you did.......lol!!

I just hope they file charges on her - what a waste of time and resources - that WE had to pay for!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Lying on the internet isn't a crime, and she didn't file a police report, so it doesn't seem like there's anything she could be charged with.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
But.....you did.......lol!!

I just hope they file charges on her - what a waste of time and resources - that WE had to pay for!
There isn't anything illegal about posting a blog post. The only reason why she hasn't been charged is because she didn't actually call police and file a report.

The reason why SAPD and the FBI got involved was probably due to HEB being very proactive about managing their brand. I suspect they all got together, reviewed camera footage, and when this lady was presented with the evidence, she quickly clammed up.

What's really hilarious are all the people stepping up to this woman's defense. I get it, mommy's tingling senses etc, but this was clearly a dramatic made up story meant to drive eyeballs to an "up and coming" blog.

If you research all the players in this story, including the owner of the blog, it reads like an Alamo Heights bored housewives attention getting saga.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
If there is no actual crime, I wouldn't be surprised if she gets sued by and/or banned from HEB for this tall tale.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:00 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
What this woman did is unforgiveable, HOWEVER, there was an actual case at an HEB parking lot in BROAD DAYLIGHT where a teen was trying to be abducted.

Police: Schertz man arrested after attempted kidnapping of girl, 14, in H-E-B parking lot - San Antonio Express-News'

Do I blame HEB (HECK NO!) however it is in indication to all how careful we must be at all times with your children/grandchildren....there ARE people out there with evil in their hearts, and if you will try this at a busy grocery store parking lot in broad daylight, it just goes to show you can take NOTHING for granted anymore.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:21 AM

The difference in this case being the victims called the cops immediately, law enforcement was all over it like white on rice, and the suspect was caught pretty quickly.

Oh boy I would love it if HEB released the surveillance video of this lady walking with her kids in the parking lot of the HEB (if she even there in the first place).

I mean, if the blog owner and all these 209 types are doubling down on supporting this lady, then I think HEB should double down and completely debunk her claims.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:45 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,448,856 times
Could NOT agree more!

Just like that gay pastor that said Whole Foods wrote "***" on his cake, certainly glad they could prove (by the help of video) that they were being falsely accused of a hate crime.

I for one am GRATEFUL for "eyes in the skies" and video in places where it has helped officers with what REALLY happened and what is a false accusation by anyone. If you are not doing something you should not be doing, you have NOTHING to fear and everything to be grateful for should you our yours become a victim.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:39 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
There isn't anything illegal about posting a blog post. The only reason why she hasn't been charged is because she didn't actually call police and file a report.

The reason why SAPD and the FBI got involved was probably due to HEB being very proactive about managing their brand. I suspect they all got together, reviewed camera footage, and when this lady was presented with the evidence, she quickly clammed up.

What's really hilarious are all the people stepping up to this woman's defense. I get it, mommy's tingling senses etc, but this was clearly a dramatic made up story meant to drive eyeballs to an "up and coming" blog.

If you research all the players in this story, including the owner of the blog, it reads like an Alamo Heights bored housewives attention getting saga.
The article linked below is not very clear if she actually recanted her claims or not but it contradicts the follow up post on the mommy blog.

Woman recants story of near child abduction

She seems (to me) to be a bored suburban mommy in 78209 with nothing exciting going on in her life so she made up this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio