Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 PM

199 posts, read 176,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
Most, if not all, of what you listed seem like utterly petty and just old man, get off my lawn type annoyances.

Taxes and fees? Development? Culture infusion?

My word...
That was uncalled for. I would argue that SOME population growth is good, but not the breakneck rapid pace that the major Texas cities are currently experiencing. It creates crowds, increased traffic, unattractive development and sharply higher taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 06:51 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,783,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT6171 View Post
uhmmmmmm ok......... LOL
Cute video but has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:16 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,370,269 times
Here is the issue with growth, as I see it. Too much can be bad. See Austin. Austin has lost it's unique identity owing largely to the influx of people from California. South Congress has seen iconic establishments forced out of existence, and east Austin is experiencing a level of gentrification that is forcing long time residents from their homes.

The problem with growth in San Antonio is the parochial nature of it's inhabitants, broken into two major camps. The "This is the Only Spot" crowd, and the "Not in My Backyard Crowd." Growth is perfectly acceptable to one group, so long as it in the right areas (South Town, AH, etc.), with the right businesses (quirky, independent, local, non-large chain), and the right sort of people coming in (fellow travelers). Growth is bad with the same crowd if it's in an area opponents don't like (NW side, Stone Oak, etc.), involves the wrong sorts of businesses (chain restaurants/chain stores), or involves the wrong type of people (non-hipster/non tech sector/suburbanites). For the other group, growth is fine, so long as their personal bubble isn't invaded. Meaning no new stores (see Leon Spring Wal-Mart) within eye shot of their residence, no dealing with road projects, no new development backing up to their neighborhood, etc.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:56 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,033,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Here is the issue with growth, as I see it. Too much can be bad. See Austin. Austin has lost it's unique identity owing largely to the influx of people from California. South Congress has seen iconic establishments forced out of existence, and east Austin is experiencing a level of gentrification that is forcing long time residents from their homes.

The problem with growth in San Antonio is the parochial nature of it's inhabitants, broken into two major camps. The "This is the Only Spot" crowd, and the "Not in My Backyard Crowd." Growth is perfectly acceptable to one group, so long as it in the right areas (South Town, AH, etc.), with the right businesses (quirky, independent, local, non-large chain), and the right sort of people coming in (fellow travelers). Growth is bad with the same crowd if it's in an area opponents don't like (NW side, Stone Oak, etc.), involves the wrong sorts of businesses (chain restaurants/chain stores), or involves the wrong type of people (non-hipster/non tech sector/suburbanites). For the other group, growth is fine, so long as their personal bubble isn't invaded. Meaning no new stores (see Leon Spring Wal-Mart) within eye shot of their residence, no dealing with road projects, no new development backing up to their neighborhood, etc.
Good analysis of the situation.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Good analysis of the situation.
What's with all of the new businesses that build less than 10 feet from the sidewalk?! It looks hideous. Is the city THAT greedy that greenspace/tasteful landscaping is no longer mandated or encouraged? I just drove through the Huebner Rd Medical Ctr area and the Babcock- DeZavala corridor. The grazing goats and cows in their green lots are gone and monster apartment complexes are replacing them. That's NOT progress.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:24 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
A new San Antonio mall? Economic growth is the definition of success. Money. Expansion, growth, is the defining, factor of economic development. Investment. Economic development made San Antonio what it is now. Good or bad makes no difference. I think it very,very fascinating that San Antonio has become the money magnet that it is. I think that because it was so stagnant for so many years with the city's potential unrealized it has some more catching up to do. Quickly. Booming yet for a time.
This brings on even more. It is a snowballing effect. Brings on more money- money being spent. We have now become the shining city on the hill. It is our turn now. It is even said, now -that we are the Crown Jewel of Texas. American exceptionalism is San Antonio an example of. From the northenmost semi-arid post of Mexico to "The Crown Jewel of Texas." (the Riverwalk) Ha-ha. Ha.
There is nothing, not anything iconic, about Austin except for the capital building that I ever saw.

San Antonio now is distant,a memory, from what it was when I was a child being reared here. It was a boring backwater town back then. Quaint. Primitive even one could say. People used to leave here for Dallas or Houston for opportunity.
(me)
Corporations could envision no potential in San Antonio and perennially we always were considered the third failed cousin to Houston and Dallas in the eyes of Texans, compared to these two newer and shinier expanding cities. What is the point of investing there?
Houston has always boomed. San Antonio is finally gaining ground.
We are now an example to cities all over, that can only strive with our formula for economic success.
How is it done?
Whadaya know, after all these years. Old friends and I, never lose the capacity to be amazed of the contrasts to things as they once were, here. To see things as they were is to look through a prism.
Night and day.
I never envisioned that San Antonio would amount to this. Surprise!

You should have seen all the families that were displaced for freeways when they were built here. This is nothing. Miles and miles- upon miles, of people forced to move away from the inner city. These(many) changes in the infrastructure of the city only add dramatically to the many contrasts.

Now, San Antonio today, is glitzy even glamorous one might say without exaggeration in comparison to Old San Antone. The changes are quite astounding( really) if you've lived long enough. People used to keep chickens in their backyards to cite one example. Right, Trapper?
These changes in quality of life here in San Antonio through technological change coupled with economic growth, makes for a real contrast to what it was here- in one lifetime. Call it whatever you want, change is here to stay and this development will continue as long as San Antonio has economic potential. It has been an amazing ride though. I doubt it will stop though.

IF economic stagnation returns, maybe it will be a good thing but I doubt tha would be good.
Think it is bad(?) visit, see inner Detroit..............if they even get a grocery store opening there it makes the newscasts. Quality of life? Hah.
I am so bemused at the responses here - had to add something to this thread.
Nor just , Pooh-poohing and gnashing on teeth.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:06 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,054,525 times
San Antonio's skyline is sad, there is no major high-rise condos downtown when compared to other cities. The East and West side are defrauded of growth. There are no bookstores, Trader Joes on the Southside. Growth is good.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:24 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,155 times
The opinions here are many. Opinions can be foolish or wise - reject them or embrace them. Always. Siempre. I knew this was the next major whine to come down the pike here.
Our skyskrapers ain't big enough!!!! Even the new one ain't gonna be! Something. Next will be , the skyscrapers downtown are too big. Always something.
Noone has been defrauded here in San Antonio of anything. Westsiders Southsiders of nothing. Traders Joe and Bookstores lacking on the southside ? So what ?

OH. I'll admit it. It is a heartbreaker.
The demand for books around Military Drive is probably not very great that is probably all. It is a working class neighborhood. I am certain however all Southsiders are feeling a sense of deprivation over having to drive to find a book to buy. I know when I was a southsider living off Military I could feel a heartfelt sting of having no bookstores located closely enough nearby.
Lived with the knowledge of it. I could barely wait to move away for it. It still rankles me to this very day.
I have only bought the Books of author Robert Caro for years now ---as they emerge in print via his New York City office. Only one of his books consists of 650,000 words if one can imagine so prodigious an amount of the written word put to pen in one book. He still uses an electric type writer too. No computer.
With the web in existence, demand for books is declining. This is so, so is authorship, there isn't enough money in it anymore so fewer people are going into that field. What the internet first did to pop music the internet is now doing to books and writers. Obsolesence. I watched programming, a discussion on this topic on C-Span.

You. Should have witnessed the west side around the turn of the twentieth century. I have read that on the Westside of San Antonio there existed; the only third world conditions ever to exist in the United States. I believe it. I have listened to descriptions about this. There is no need to be more specific, here.

Where the money goes is where the growth is here in this rapidly expanding city. North is nice. Pretty. Even seems somehow, not as hot even. However I traveled a considerable distance north of Stone Oak.
There is room enough for all here. There only isn't enough water. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. There is barely enough water here and cactus are everywhere. Hot as hell too, if you want to complain.

San Antonio has a very beautiful skyline, only a pessimist would see something else.
You are sad, this exists within you. I believe you bored with your life. Spend years away, return, and see the newness and ancientness in it all. You move blindly about it seems. In the dark. Sunglasses. Shades. This place has changed.
Particularly so as you can look at and encircle the entire area downtown by freeway from up high, by night. From all four directions. This is amazing for visitors, I have seen this. A great American City. I was gone so long from here that I had forgotten.
Cowtown, no more. Downtown however remains quaint, for the narrow streets. Lots of potential though at risk of losing historical area.
Something else to whine over.

One of the most spectacular sights ever was when I arrived by night, by automobile into another city. The Chicago Skyline skyscraper tops were obscured by low clouds , May of 2004. It was a surreal sight , nearly. I got it all down on analog video.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:46 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Was wondering the same thing. A melting pot of different cultures (other than Hispanic Culture, which I have no problem with) is what SA needs.
I guess we'll never know. I don't really care anyway, as I said we have contributed to daily life here in a positive way. Many thousands of others have also.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I guess we'll never know. I don't really care anyway, as I said we have contributed to daily life here in a positive way. Many thousands of others have also.
Go to DeZavala-Wurzbach-Huebner & 10. You'll see PLENTY of foreign cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio