Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM

54 posts, read 305,662 times

Advertisements

Why did the Jack in the Box at 281/1604 close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Increased competition from other restaurants, I assume. There are half a dozen new restaurants on the northbound side of 281, across from that corner that weren't there a year ago. There are also probably another 10 restaurants that have opened on 1604 between Redland Road and Stone Oak Parkway in the past 2 years.

That 281-1604 interchange doesn't seem to be very good for restaurants. I've seen 3 restaurants close in the last 5 years on the eastbound side of 1604 across from that JITB location.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXUsername View Post
Why did the Jack in the Box at 281/1604 close?
They opened up a new one a mile up 281 at the corner with Evans, but one would think the area has sufficient traffic (actually way too much) to support two within close proximity. Perhaps San Antonio is actually more health conscious than those unflattering lists we land on. One can only hope.

I am always surprised at the number of businesses that fail in high traffic areas. For example, across 1604 from that ex-Jack, there is a newly opened Mexican food place that hardly has customers even at peak times when the surrounding restaurants are packed. It looks like a dive so maybe thats its problem. A La Paletera ice cream shop recently shut down at the corner of Stone Oak Parkway and Huebner - another busy area. You would think an ice cream shop in hot San Antonio would be a sure bet, but it looks like someone came to the wrong conclusion in their market analysis.

Last edited by StanStelle; 02-26-2008 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: mispelled word

Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
StanStelle

I would like to think so, but with the opening of a Krystal's in the NW (off Culebra if I remember correctly) I doubt that S.A. has become "health conscience!" I was a bit surprised at that as well, as the sole Krystal's across from Ingram Park Mall wasn't doing that well after the initial curiousity wore off. It even closed at one point, only to be resurrected...and now it looks like we're getting another.

The one thing I have learned from all this is that the fast food of my youth is now the same stuff that makes me ill in my middle age!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Its closed because the company building the Toll Road project is going to operate out of it.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Its closed because the company building the Toll Road project is going to operate out of it.
That's interesting. We should start a rumor that it's being torn down to make room for the first toll booth.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,204,462 times
I'd swear I saw a "closed for remodeling" sign there about 2 weeks ago. It was very small, and I had to get out of my car and walk up to the door to actually read it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:36 PM

26 posts, read 144,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
They opened up a new one a mile up 281 at the corner with Evans, but one would think the area has sufficient traffic (actually way too much) to support two within close proximity. Perhaps San Antonio is actually more health conscious than those unflattering lists we land on. One can only hope.

I am always surprised at the number of businesses that fail in high traffic areas. For example, across 1604 from that ex-Jack, there is a newly opened Mexican food place that hardly has customers even at peak times when the surrounding restaurants are packed. It looks like a dive so maybe thats its problem. A La Paletera ice cream shop recently shut down at the corner of Stone Oak Parkway and Huebner - another busy area. You would think an ice cream shop in hot San Antonio would be a sure bet, but it looks like someone came to the wrong conclusion in their market analysis.

That mexican restaurant that you referenced is actually a nice place. It's got a nice atmosphere and the food is actually really, really good.

I ordered the shrimp fajitas and it came with both shrimp AND beef fajitas and they didn't cheat me out of either. I had enough to take home and eat for almost a full meal the next day. I don't know what seasonings they used but they were some of the tastiest I've had in a long time and I'm no stranger to mexican restaurants. I hope it stays open because I plan on going back. Oh yeah, prices were very reasonable for what you get.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:08 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I am always surprised at the number of businesses that fail in high traffic areas. For example, across 1604 from that ex-Jack, there is a newly opened Mexican food place that hardly has customers even at peak times when the surrounding restaurants are packed.
Three restaurants have failed in that spot: Burger King (that was actually the franchisee that failed, not the restaurant, China Rose, and then Backyard Burgers.

Hmmm, maybe if a Dunkin Donuts opened there...

Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM

76 posts, read 270,907 times
I opened this thread thinking someone was talking about the obscenity spray-painted on the side of that former Jack in the Box. Hope that gets taken care of soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio