Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 01:42 PM

15 posts, read 23,429 times

Advertisements

Had a question for you all. Our house is up for sale and I know the whole gentrification thing is happening here in Mid town San Antonio. I wanted to ask I know it's a 24 hour notice to have the home showed for buying, but is that per seller or a time frame? I noticed the realtor is bringing buyers between a 3 hour frame and this is on a SATURDAY.. I already had about 2 or 3 buyers come over and it's really an inconvenience. At the house, we are all pretty buys during the week, so I don't mind having them come over and getting it over in a day vs having them inconvenience us all during the week.

Also, is there "Rent Control" in San Antonio? If house gets sold what happens to us? What are the rules as far as staying? Anybody else gone thru this in SA? It sucks!! SA to become the next Austin soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 02:05 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,846,771 times
Notification is up to you to require in the listing agreement. As to "rent control" - when you sell it, it's no longer yours. Unless you have an agreement in advance, be prepared to move at time of closing.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:03 PM

381 posts, read 1,093,737 times
Are you renting the home that is currently being sold or are you the owner? It sounds like you may be renting the home.

"Also, is there "Rent Control" in San Antonio? If house gets sold what happens to us? What are the rules as far as staying? Anybody else gone thru this in SA? It sucks!! SA to become the next Austin soon."

What are you talking about in this paragraph? If you rent the home now and it's being sold, you need to look for a new rental now. Are you saying you can't afford rent in SA?

Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,505,675 times
What do you mean "what happens to you"?
You need to get out of there now....why wait until after it's sold??
And yes, we are turning into the next Austin....because of the people from California and elsewhere moving here in droves, and bringing their attitude with them.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:31 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,897,388 times
If you are renting and have a lease, the lease goes with the sale. That is, the lease is in full force and effect and the new owner has to follow the covenants of the lease. That includes the dates of the lease. If your lease ends in say January, then the buyer has to honor the lease until it expires in January or whenever. Look at your lease and decide if you want to stay until it expires or go now. If you think the house will sell fast, notify the landlord with a 30 or 60 day notice(whichever the lease calls for) and tell the landlord you are leaving because of the house sale. Or stay and plan to move when the lease expires. Your choice. The other scenario is to wait until it sells and see if the new owner plans to rent the house and will continue your lease with a new lease between you and the new owner. There are several choices there.
As far as showings, you have to be given 24 hour notice to show the house. You can't really decline a showing if you get 24 hour notice. You CAN decline a 3 or 4 hour notice.
I hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
If you are renting and have a lease, the lease goes with the sale. That is, the lease is in full force and effect and the new owner has to follow the covenants of the lease. That includes the dates of the lease. If your lease ends in say January, then the buyer has to honor the lease until it expires in January or whenever. Look at your lease and decide if you want to stay until it expires or go now. If you think the house will sell fast, notify the landlord with a 30 or 60 day notice(whichever the lease calls for) and tell the landlord you are leaving because of the house sale. Or stay and plan to move when the lease expires. Your choice. The other scenario is to wait until it sells and see if the new owner plans to rent the house and will continue your lease with a new lease between you and the new owner. There are several choices there.
As far as showings, you have to be given 24 hour notice to show the house. You can't really decline a showing if you get 24 hour notice. You CAN decline a 3 or 4 hour notice.
I hope this helps.
Yea we are renting the house. ��

Well I have several concerns. I've been renting the house with 2 other roommates for the past year and a half and the manager/landlord who's renting the property has not given us a copy of the lease as if yet. When the other realtor called to tell me the house was selling she told me u guys are on a month to month lease right. I played it off and said yes, but can u send me a copy of our lease I misplaced it. (I really didn't just lied to see if I can get this lease cause I never got it in the beginning) she said she would talk to the manager and send me one. As of yet no copy of the lease. I do keep track oN a website where we do our payments so it shows how long we have been paying fent.

Also, I'm hoping the new owners will rent it out to us. I don't know it's kind of scary. I did notice two or three of the buyers were from Austin. Ughhh ��

I am aware of the 24 hour notice, but how many buyers can go watch the house that has been sold? Is it 24 hr notice per person? Cause I noticed the realtor brought 7 buyers I kid u not between 1-4pm in one day it was just an inconvenience shaking everyone's hand everytime they came inside the apt.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
What do you mean "what happens to you"?
You need to get out of there now....why wait until after it's sold??
And yes, we are turning into the next Austin....because of the people from California and elsewhere moving here in droves, and bringing their attitude with them.

Ugh I know 3 of the buyers were from Austin

Old 11-14-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstmom View Post
Are you renting the home that is currently being sold or are you the owner? It sounds like you may be renting the home.

"Also, is there "Rent Control" in San Antonio? If house gets sold what happens to us? What are the rules as far as staying? Anybody else gone thru this in SA? It sucks!! SA to become the next Austin soon."

What are you talking about in this paragraph? If you rent the home now and it's being sold, you need to look for a new rental now. Are you saying you can't afford rent in SA?
Yes I rent the property. Rent control was something used in Los Angeles per say if u moved there in 2001 and been there for 13 yrs your rent would stay the same and not move up in price. There were certain areas in LA where rent couldn't go up because of some proposition I forgot which one. I hope that makes sense.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:11 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,846,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitotx76 View Post
Yes I rent the property. Rent control was something used in Los Angeles per say if u moved there in 2001 and been there for 13 yrs your rent would stay the same and not move up in price. There were certain areas in LA where rent couldn't go up because of some proposition I forgot which one. I hope that makes sense.
With all due respect, this ain't California - a landlord has the right to charge whatever they want for rent within the terms of your lease. If you don't have a copy of the lease, that's on you - paying the first cent without a copy of it is a BIG no-no. But, I'd be willing to bet that you're on a month to month, so yeah - be ready to move with 30 days notice. On the next place, pay attention to details, and keep a copy of everything!

It's not that I don't care, but to go along without paying attention to the details is what got you in this situation - and you're the only one that can correct that. Also - don't listen to those that will tell you to "squat" once the sale is complete - there are laws about that, but more importantly, that can put a HUGE black mark on your rental history, and immensely increase the difficulty of you getting another decent lease.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:50 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,714,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitotx76 View Post

Also, is there "Rent Control" in San Antonio? If house gets sold what happens to us? What are the rules as far as staying? Anybody else gone thru this in SA? It sucks!! SA to become the next Austin soon.
Austin does not have rent control. I'm not sure how you being in this situation is equal to being in Austin. It could happen anywhere in Texas. Again, this is Texas. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio