Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 PM

8 posts, read 18,309 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I will be moving to the Canyon Lake rural area and have a slight concern. Our family is of Mexican descent. My last name is not a common Mexican last name (in fact it's Croation - Long story on how I am part Mexican for another time and forum) and my two boys and I speak fluent English with no (spanish) accent. In fact, most people that do not know us think the three of us are Anglo-American or white. However, my wife, although she has become a U.S. citizen and speaks very good English, does have a mild to medium spanish accent.

I understand racism exist everywhere, but we have heard through others that is more prevalent in Texas. An example was my sister-in-law who visited a rural part of Houston, felt discouraged from ordering at a restaurant with a group of her spanish speaking friends. Although no one said anything directly, the were basically ignored while other customers received better service, Again, nothing was said, but she felt....watched.

I also have a friend that lives in New Braunfels, and he said speaking spanish in public is a no no. If we were going to a bigger city such as SA, Austin, or Dallas, I think I would feel a little better. But we plan to purchase something a little more in the country like Canyon Lake, Blanco, Fisher, Spring Branch, ect. so I understand not too many foreign speaking people live there. I have also heard Texans love their guns and do not like strangers, so I have a concern. Do I move to a bigger city and give up our dream of living in an open country-like area for safety or is racism in Texas blown out of proportion and I should not be as concerned as I am? I love the hill country and really want to make a home there with my family. I have heard that most Texans are very friendly and hospitable. We want to mind our own business and live in peace without fear of not feeling welcome.

Again, I understand I cannot and I refuse to judge all people by one or two bad incidents and that is why I am asking, especially those of latino descent how they feel in central Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:03 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
My friend, I don't know who you heard this from, but there are hispanics all over. No one cares as long as you treat them as you wish to be treated.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:01 AM

TexasRedneck, that is exactly what I hope for. Heck, I hope to be able to share a bottle of Tito's with the neighbors the first day I move in. I do understand there are Hispanics everywhere, but I don't think everyone is as tolerant as you. I am sure you can understand, my family and their well-being is first and foremost on my agenda and the unknown can be scary. I truly hope you are correct my friend because I am so looking forward to moving there!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default Topic Racism outside San Antonio limits,

Well my friend, you will not suffer overt racism, but variables in social situations are as varied as
is the human character. Depending on the personal history.
Who knows how these people have been reared?
It would therefor depend- on the crudity the people you are dealing with and sometimes on how much money you are spending. People always will smile when you give them money.
People will also need an out group to be exclusionary toward. It is the human condition.
The more remote and back- country, brush country type people that are not so socially polished may remark something stupid.
It happens. One look at the President elect mouth will state much.
Canyon Lake is pretty much urbanized and populated with city folk. I think you will be safe here,
as opposed to other places. Like here at the Forum.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Psssst...New Braunfels is 37% Hispanic. I don't think they would freak out if they heard Spanish.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Huck ster, you are right on point. I do feel a little better, however I was hoping to hear from the Hispanic community or even other cultural communities. Barring something big, my plan stands. I fell in love with hill country and my family is extremely excited about getting out of the rat race and settling down and smelling the roses (or what ever natural flowers grow there). I really look forward to meeting nice people and contributing to the community in any way I can. My kids already bought shirts that say they are from Texas. We are looking forward to becoming Texans (Although I will always be a Cubs fan).

Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer67 View Post
(Although I will always be a Cubs fan).
Now, THAT will get you made fun of.......

Holler when you're ready to make the move - I'll help you get "mainstreamed" into some of the local FB groups. Don't try prior to the move, though - most only allow "local" folks in.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM

TexasRedneck, I'll keep the Cubs thing to myself and I'll take you up on the offer once I make the move.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
One hell of a town, Chicago is.
As big as Dallas , San Antonio and Houston combined I would guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer67 View Post
TexasRedneck, I'll keep the Cubs thing to myself and I'll take you up on the offer once I make the move.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:23 PM

69 posts, read 95,874 times
I think you are more likely to find racing on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio