Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM

13 posts, read 14,929 times

Advertisements

We are investigating the moving to San Antonio or area next year for retirement.

And yes I've read through the archives. Most of the replies are out-date and there have been many changes in the last couple years at all levels from housing costs to social issues.

My husband is a military retiree. I'd love to hear from folks about the advantages of living in the city versus living in nearby areas like Les Braunfels, Converse, etc. Taxes inside the city are often higher, we know.

Suggestions for quieter neighborhoods without a huge lot of city noise? We are not looking to pay high HOA fees.

Access to military commissaries from within the city?

Public transportation issues for a slightly disabled person using a cane?

Issues for multi-racial families or families with visible differences?

My grown children will be visiting and we are a multi-racial family. Anyone have comments or suggestions or concerns?

Thank you to all who feel like sharing your experiences and knowledge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 PM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
I live on the Far Far West Side (outside 1604, and city limits....for now). This is a very heavy DoD/Gov-related area. Most HOA fees that I've seen out Potranco, in Alamo Ranch, and even up to Bandera are pretty reasonable - I believe it was $75/qtr in Westcreek when we were renting there 3 years ago. There are older non-HOA communities available, but that also means no community facilities like pool, community center, playgrounds, etc.

All that said, growth out this way is crazy and I doubt the 1604 to 211 area can go another 10 years without being annexed.

Public transportation in TX is pretty much limited to buses, while service may be better in the city center, my office which is 25 minutes to drive in moderate traffic would take 2 hours by bus. Your mileage may vary (literally).

I'm white, my wife is black, my (step)daughters are black/hispanic - even though I do have some issues with SA, this is not one one of them. Honestly, couldn't have ask for a better experience on that front. Like I said, it's a military heavy town and mixed race families are not uncommon. Outside of town and the I35 corridor to the north, things get a little more whitewashed, I've heard a few things about New Braunfels but never personally experienced anything there. This is central/south Texas, its a very mixed area - white & black folk with hispanic names and hispanic folk with German last names - its just....San Antonio.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM

Default Thank you!

I appreciate your perspective, particularly on the multi-racial family aspects. Near the DoD sounds good. I have seen some nice homes near the bases that are within our budget and expectations. Two of my children may need longer than age 18 care, not quite sure yet so we may need a 4 bedroom home. Finding one with the master bedroom on the main floor may be a bit more of a challenge than a great neighborhood.

Might I ask what your profession is? I'm an anthropology professor. Not sure if I will be working there or not.

Small HOA fees for the use of pools and such works but not if they equal our property taxes!

We know two families down that way and have a nephew stationed in the state but not the area. I hope to be driving less as years go by but who knows?

The area seems to have so many positives we are excited about moving there.

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. Much appreciated!

Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,686 times
You don't want to live out Far West, especially as retirees...too much damn construction and traffic (years to go) and that area is getting more and more crowded by the month. They just keep building further off the loop. Bus doesn't even go much beyond 1604 out there...if at all. That means no public transport.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
The most ethnic diversity is on the far west side and northeast side.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:59 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The most ethnic diversity is on the far west side and northeast side.
- EDIT-

The most ethnic diversity is on the far north side northeast side. This is reflected in the schools. The far west side is in NISD, where ALL schools are Hispanic majority. Several NEISD high schools have no majority. I wouldn't retire on the far west side, either. With the obscene amount of apartment complexes STILL being built, and an uncertain economy, there's no telling where the area will be in ten years.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Thank you Poncho-Villa! This information is very helpful.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM

Thank you thenewtexan. Also great information for me to know. The noise and new construction isn't exactly the background I'm hoping for.

Is anyone living within the city of San Antonio? What are the benefits to doing so? What are the pitfalls? I see a lot of what seem like afforadable homes on older lots with mature trees which appeal to me but not sure what the background city noise is like. Also not sure that the realty companies show honest statistics about crime rates.

Can anyone speak to costs of maintaining one's own pool? My husband is not able to do that on his own.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:48 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAn View Post

Suggestions for quieter neighborhoods without a huge lot of city noise? We are not looking to pay high HOA fees.
Garden Ridge is quiet, kinda wedged between San Antonio and Schertz. It's a bit pricey but I think I saw some signs for new homes that are more affordable. Zip code is 78266.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM

520 posts, read 782,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeAn View Post
I appreciate your perspective, particularly on the multi-racial family aspects. Near the DoD sounds good. I have seen some nice homes near the bases that are within our budget and expectations. Two of my children may need longer than age 18 care, not quite sure yet so we may need a 4 bedroom home. Finding one with the master bedroom on the main floor may be a bit more of a challenge than a great neighborhood.

Might I ask what your profession is? I'm an anthropology professor. Not sure if I will be working there or not.

Small HOA fees for the use of pools and such works but not if they equal our property taxes!

We know two families down that way and have a nephew stationed in the state but not the area. I hope to be driving less as years go by but who knows?

The area seems to have so many positives we are excited about moving there.

Thank you for sharing your perspectives. Much appreciated!
I'm a Sr. SysAdmin subcontractor for the Federal Judiciary. However, prior to taking this position 5 years ago I worked at Penn State for 10 years. I'm not sure where you are coming from but I will tell you that the posted salaries I found at the TX state flagship schools were significantly lower than in the northeast - at least for technical staff. I don't know what salaries and research percentages look like on the faculty side, but I can't imagine they match up either. I have a friend from PSU who came to Baylor as an IT manager and received only a marginal raise above his previous SysAdmin salary.

In San Antonio, you have the Alamo Colleges (Community College) with 5 campuses, UTSA, Texas A&M SA, and then 3 Catholic associated private universities (Our Lady of the Lake, St Marys, & Incarnate World). The last, Trinity University is a private liberal arts university consistently ranked as the top regional university in the West, I would put somewhere around Bucknell in prestige - a solid regional reputation but not not really known beyond that. Living up the I-35 corridor obviously adds Texas State (San Marcos) and UT Austin to the mix along with all of the other smaller schools in Austin. Of course all of the for-profits are present.

About the HOA fees equaling property taxes.....Texas has high property tax rates, no getting around it and no sugar coating it. This is a big part of why the property values are lower. I paid $4.8K last year on $230K (Baxar County) with the Homestead Exemption. Note that this is cumulatively reduced if you and/or your spouse have VA disability rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio