Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has always been a left-leaning city. Taylor's religion-based tenure tried to change that, but failed, as even the more conservative council members were moderates, mostly.

In Julian Castro's speech Saturday night, he referred to a "progressive city." And as Ron reiterated, “Being truly independent isn’t about a party label. It’s who you answer to. And for me, that’s the public.” He tends to be a fiscal conservative who is liberal on social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 PM

115 posts, read 279,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
Nirenberg voted against annexation (and i hope like hell that he kills it), which is a resounding Republican position in the Texas House and Senate, so I wouldn't call him nor all of those that voted for him, leftists. I couldn't vote because I'm outside the city...and I would really, really like it to stay that way.
He voted against annexation but I don't think he was against it. As I said earlier in this post, he was using his votes for political reasons, and it worked. He won't kill annexation, he won't even mention it.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
He voted against annexation but I don't think he was against it. As I said earlier in this post, he was using his votes for political reasons, and it worked. He won't kill annexation, he won't even mention it.
Well, maybe the city raised the property values enough this year to delay needing more money from those of us they'd love to annex. Surely those who had their assessments go up are pleased as punch to pay more.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:01 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Well, maybe the city raised the property values enough this year to delay needing more money from those of us they'd love to annex. Surely those who had their assessments go up are pleased as punch to pay more.
i mean over half the taxes paid are for schools.

annexation is a fun double edged sword.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
i mean over half the taxes paid are for schools.

annexation is a fun double edged sword.
A house assessed at about $250K will pay around $1400 yearly in city taxes. Yes, over twice that for school taxes but you pay those whether you are in the city limits or not.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
A house assessed at about $250K will pay around $1400 yearly in city taxes. Yes, over twice that for school taxes but you pay those whether you are in the city limits or not.
I'm aware.

Its the old thing of the city provides services that people not in the city want to use, but they dont want to pay for.

Double edged sword.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
I'm aware.

Its the old thing of the city provides services that people not in the city want to use, but they dont want to pay for.

Double edged sword.
Wrong. And so very wrong.

The city trash service is the same as county service by price. They don't get the green bin, but half our city obviously didn't know the purpose of said bin. Have you seen the freeways lately?

Also populated areas of Bexar county get great emergency services. So you now want them to pay ours? Stupid. Of course if they are in The Glen lon the Far East side the of City Converse already was rewarded this tax dollars.

People need to realize while San Antonio is a left leaning city, that is not the same as a progressive city. While people's hold a distain for the conservative north side at least we vote, care, and give charity.

Ron won and he should go for his agenda but I would not **** off the people that pay 2/3 of the taxes to the city. It is always funny that other sides hate on the northside. Sad at least we can all hold hands over the great land bridge that will link deer across Wurzbach to fullfill a lobbyist mayors needs for recreation that had good ideas.

Last edited by rynetwo; 06-12-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Wrong. And so very wrong.

The city trash service is the same as county service by price. They don't get the green bin, but half our city obviously didn't know the purpose of said bin. Have you seen the freeways lately?

Also populated areas of Bexar county get great emergency services. So you now want them to pay ours? Stupid. Of course if they are in The Glen lon the Far East side the of City Converse already was rewarded this tax dollars.

People need to realize while San Antonio is a left leaning city, that is not the same as a progressive city. While people's hold a distain for the conservative north side at least we vote, care, and give charity.

Ron won and he should go for his agenda but I would not **** off the people that pay 2/3 of the taxes to the city. It is always funny that other sides hate on the northside. Sad at least we can all hold hands over the great land bridge that will link deer across Wurzbach to fullfill a lobbyist mayors needs for recreation that had good ideas.
City trash service isnt paid for by taxes.

City of San Antonio provides more than just emergency services.

Bexar County taxes pays for emergency services provided by Bexar County.

City of San Antonio taxes pays for emergency services provide by San Antonio. AND other services.

Parks.
Roadways.

I mean if you are in the City of San Antonio and need police services, it has to be paid somewhere.

Double edged sword.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:08 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Quote:

I mean if you are in the City of San Antonio and need police services, it has to be paid somewhere.
It is my understanding that areas not annexed by SA are covered by BCSD, not SAPD.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
City trash service isnt paid for by taxes.

City of San Antonio provides more than just emergency services.

Bexar County taxes pays for emergency services provided by Bexar County.

City of San Antonio taxes pays for emergency services provide by San Antonio. AND other services.

Parks.
Roadways.

Double edged sword.
City trash is paid on the water bill, I thought. Or is it CPS? Tax, fee, charge, whatever they call it, citizens pay for that specific service. We pay Republic Services for our trash pickup in the county. If we needed police the Bexar county sheriff's department would respond.

I lived within the ciry limits for about 25 years. If I decide to visit a city park, well, I'm not going to feel guilty about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio