Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times

Advertisements

Since this city is often accused of being a cultural waste-land, I thought I'd open a thread where you all can post about those cultural events you enjoy. This way the newcomers can see what we have to offer.

This past weekend - Luminaria, an amazing festival or arts of all kinds, all over the city but concentrated downtown. This is the first year, not sure if it'll be an annual event or not.

Every First Friday - First Friday Arts Walk in Southtown : live music on assorted street corners and in galleries, local and not-so-local artists of all types show their work.

Cinema at the Slab - Slab at La Tuna - usually April-October. public domain films screened outdoors, often with live music accompaniment (I confess we've found it difficult to attend as it's on Thursday nights, after dark, and we have a little one)

Assorted galleries all over town, any day: I just visited Gallista Gallery on S. Flores, excellent place. That whole strip has quite a few galleries now.

of course the museums: Witte, SA Art Museum on Jones St, McNay....

And the theatres - since I haven't been in awhile I'll let others start to fill in the gaps.
What events have you attended this past year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 09:49 AM

129 posts, read 513,089 times
Yesterday, we went downtown to enjoy the river parade. And also checked out the new Museo Alameda at Market Square to see the travelling exhibit of Celia Cruz. We were introduced to some of her music recently and wanted to see the exhibit. We really enjoyed it, very well presented. And its free on Sundays, but closed on Easter Sunday.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:45 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,919 times
Luminaria was a ton of fun! Loved the fireworks over the Alamo/flag, all of the art installments, and all of the folks singing along to Flaco Jimenez (?). I'm sure that the tourists were in heaven. I also second First Friday. It's always a blast, especially if you throw in a house party afterward, some beers at La Tuna, or some dancing and food at Beethoven's. Truly a unique SA institution. Finally, I always enjoy my time dancing and listening to music at the various locales in the Tobin Hill area. Good people, good times, and a truly mixed crowd. For the young or young at heart, Limelight on Tuesdays and Thursdays is a great club environment with a relaxed, hip vibe and friendliness for both the straight and gay crowds.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,104 times
Every Saturday at the end of each month is a street fair called "The Houston Street Fair" on Houston Street and Alamo. They have all types of vendors and a schedule of local performers which you can buy their demos from. Every month is a different theme. In October they had a live bull riding event right in front of the Alamo. Its a good way to get out if you out by the riverwalk.

This is what I love about San Antonio is there is always something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio