Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgsalem View Post
My daughter is currently attending OLLU and she would like to live on campus next semester. While I know the campus is safe, I am worried about the general area surrounding it. Growing up I remember that area having a lot of gang violence, and I know it has gotten a bit better but I’m just unsure of how much better.

I told her if she were to move there would be rules about her going out, such as how she can’t leave campus past 6 PM. She thinks that’s quite ridiculous as she would never go out at night alone anyway but I just don’t trust the area much.

Is the area significantly safer now or is there still a lot of gang activity there?
I work for TV news and there is still gang activity. I also grew up on the West side
when it was rougher.
Best thing as you suggested is to not go out at night alone.
It must be very difficult for you. My prayers for you and your daughter. May she
finish her education with no harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:10 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
Yall really are exaggerating, I would never be scared to be in this area at any time day or night. Yea you might hear a couple gun shots at night, maybe see a couple of fights, or have to scare off a couple of crackheads, but i maintain that if you have basic street knowledge, your chances of being a victim of a violent crime are very low; that's anywhere in San Antonio for that matter.

Is it the most ideal place to raise a family? Of course not, but it's not a warzone either;far from it.
I lived in the 78217 zip code for many years and generally felt safe. However, the area around 410 and Perrin Beitel has become increasingly worse. While most people are murdered by people they know, burglaries and robberies are usually carried out by people you don't know. I advise people not to move near Perrin Beitel and 410, and it's not even as bad as the area near OLLU. My aunt's apartment was burglarized, and my sister and her boyfriend were robbed at gunpoint in the Perrin Beitel area. They all moved as fast as they could. So, I don't think it's unreasonable to warn people about areas with high crime rates. Personally, I don't think that not wanting to hear gunshots several times a year is a high standard. I lived in an area like that once and would never again.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
I don't know what your problems are with my posts but if you don't like what I post then don't read them or shut off your computer.

People should pay attention because I'm telling the truth, everyone else on here is exaggerating and spreading ignorance.
Not everyone has to pay attention to your anecdotal evidence that you pass off as the "truth".

Last time I checked, the truth gets backed by facts.

You think the area is safe, others do not...you "need" to accept that not everyone agrees with you.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 AM

343 posts, read 307,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Not everyone has to pay attention to your anecdotal evidence that you pass off as the "truth".

Last time I checked, the truth gets backed by facts.

You think the area is safe, others do not...you "need" to accept that not everyone agrees with you.
Fair enough. I still think my experience holds atleast some relevance though.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:17 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
You make a good point, I never looked at it from that perspective.I never feel like I really stick out in that area so I can see how someone that does stick out might feel uneasy.

I would still say that it's more the perception of being unsafe than an actual reality of being unsafe, but I can understand why people that feel like they stick out would think they are unsafe.
Like I said, I never personally felt unsafe but I rarely stayed after dark and if it was dark it was from the office/aquatic center to the car for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I lived in the 78217 zip code for many years and generally felt safe. However, the area around 410 and Perrin Beitel has become increasingly worse. While most people are murdered by people they know, burglaries and robberies are usually carried out by people you don't know. I advise people not to move near Perrin Beitel and 410, and it's not even as bad as the area near OLLU. My aunt's apartment was burglarized, and my sister and her boyfriend were robbed at gunpoint in the Perrin Beitel area. They all moved as fast as they could. So, I don't think it's unreasonable to warn people about areas with high crime rates. Personally, I don't think that not wanting to hear gunshots several times a year is a high standard. I lived in an area like that once and would never again.

As much as I agree with your comparisons most of the time, I think comparing 78217 and 78207 aren't as on point as you think. 78207 is historically the poorest area in the city, where are 78217 has pockets of crap areas (larger than normal, but there are some nice areas). The OP asked specifically about 78207 and I don't see, unless for some specific reason, an OLLU student heading up that way.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:20 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
double post.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,438,175 times
I hear gunshots a couple times a week, but it is safe because I haven't gotten shot yet!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Yeah.. I avoid this area at night. I don't even go on Austin Hwy at night most of the time... you will see many crack heads walking around. often during the day too. My girlfriend drives to the Valero in Alamo Heights on Austin Hwy to avoid using the other gas stations on Austin Hwy at night. Austin Hwy was supposed to be cleaned up a few years ago... guess it is getting bad again.

My friend lived in some apartments on frontage 410 in between Starcrest and Perrin Beitel and there were lots of drug dealers around. There was a lady in a wheelchair that sat near the front of the apartments at all times and sold crack out of it. I even saw her get up and walk into the car.

My own great grandmother was robbed at knife-point in front of her house in Beacon Hill which is supposedly pretty nice a few decades so maybe I am more skeptical than most...

Old 11-28-2017, 05:10 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Like I said, I never personally felt unsafe but I rarely stayed after dark and if it was dark it was from the office/aquatic center to the car for that reason.

As much as I agree with your comparisons most of the time, I think comparing 78217 and 78207 aren't as on point as you think. 78207 is historically the poorest area in the city, where are 78217 has pockets of crap areas (larger than normal, but there are some nice areas). The OP asked specifically about 78207 and I don't see, unless for some specific reason, an OLLU student heading up that way.
My point was that 78217 generally has less crime, but people are still victimized in the elevated crime areas. Therefore, it's not unreasonable to have safety concerns in a zip code, such as 78207, that has even more crime and gang activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio