Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 AM

190 posts, read 524,346 times

Advertisements

OK .. it's that time in which I need to either enroll my teen in a driving school.... or do the parent taught version.

I'd rather do the parent taught way, but after sending in $20 to receive a packet of paper that informed me I need to spend MORE money to teach my child... I'm fuming. How expensive will this get if I do parent taught? I might as well go the route of the driving school if that's the case!

So... advice? From people who've done this.. of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:00 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Our son and I are doing the parent-taught program and it's not bad. He's completing the academics online and I teach him the actual driving part. It's all dependent on your teen, do they seem ready to do this or will he / she need a lot of instruction? If the latter, then maybe a school would be the best choice; otherwise the parent-taught option is easier and cheaper.

Good luck! M2

Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
We did the parent taught a few years ago and am glad we did. It does take a big effort on both parts but it's worth it in the end. Or at lease I think so.

oops, just reread your post. The only charge when we had was the $20.00. You can choose to buy the material or read it on line. We did it all on line.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:23 AM

314 posts, read 832,565 times
It depends on your kids and your relationship with them...my daughter "knows more than her parents" so she needs to hear it from someone else to believe it.

If you pay a school then you still need to do a ton of driving with them anyway so I think it is the best of both worlds, they also get visits from PD or FD to drive home the dangers and watch accident videos to drive home that operating a 2 ton vehicle is not just fun but a serious responsibility.

Oh, I would also say it depends on how you drive...if you are not a perfect driver then you can loose some of your credibility.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I've used a combination of driving school and me (Mrs. NBP has refused to help). MD requires a bunch of hours of practice past what the driving schools offer so there's really no alternative to the parent, or another licensed adult, doing it.

I have noticed my kids have my bad driving habits as well as their mother's. Oh, their ages: girls 29 and 22 now, boys 27 and turning 16.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM

190 posts, read 524,346 times
The parent taught route from what I understood was $20 .. but when we got the packet of information that just explains the rules of the program.... followed w a bunch of links and a "you will need to purchase ....." I was just a little confused..

Thanks for the advice!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
As others noted - went the school/University of Dad route. They teach the basics at school, then the Old Man put 'em on the road w/him for several thousands (literally - I'm on the road a LOT) of miles all over South Texas, teaching them the Rules of the Road, basic courtesy's, etc. I think it helped 'em become better drivers in the long run....

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
I'm just starting the parent-taught program with my son. We both think it's great because after he studies and passes the written test, we get to go on road trips, which we both love to do. I start him out way out in the boonies somewhere to get him used to being behind the wheel, and gradually get him used to more traffic until *gasp* , we can drive in San Antonio traffic. Great bonding time for both! The program cost under 200 bucks total, he can do it at his own pace (and mine), and I'm sure he would rather learn from me than from some stranger...or his mom! Good luck!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:58 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
We just did the parent taught, cost was only $20 for the information packet. There was stuff available online to download for free. We were shuttling back and forth between practices and I couldn't afford the driving school anyways. I think my daughter got more time behind the wheel with me.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
We did the school based. Because my son needs a few adaptations that the district vehicles did not have, we had to use our car. Which meant that one of us had to be in the car during the lesson.

While it did involve our time, the advice from a "third party" was invaluable. Not only did our (extremely stubborn) son listen to the driving instructor's advice, he utilized it. We had 2 different instructors, so had more feedback.

What was interesting to us, as, uh, "seasoned" drivers, was hearing those instructions again. They were able to give good tips and tricks to him that we would never have thought to tell him. You just do certain things automatically, and perhaps don't think to verbalize them.

Just our 2 cents worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio