Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 09:42 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: inappropriate remark

So, on a positive spin, all you SA lovers, share where it is in SA you work/live/play that allows you to enjoy the culture SA has to offer. My goal here is to help those who perhaps aren't really aware of the cultural activities of SA (maybe because they're living in the suburbs and rarely venture inside 410?) know what there is to enjoy.

For me - live and play in Southtown/Downtown. Attend First Friday arts events fairly regularly, but also other arts events in the area not part of First Friday. Lots of commercial establishments in the area double as art galleries. Participated in Luminaria. There are a lot of events that are not specifically associated with galleries, usually listed in the Current, and sometimes just random street concerts.

Not so much recently thanks to the kid, but used to be a regular at some downtown bars: Medusa, Zen (it's been awhile though, I'm not sure how their atmosphere is now) and Azuca. Now we hang out at Beethoven's and Blue Star since they're more kid-friendly. Blue Star Complex has a new bar now too. Frequent the locally-owned restaurants, which are quite social centers in their own right.

Don't go to museums as often as we'd like, but they're there! Also not so much recently due to the kidlet but have seen shows at the Empire Theatre. Lots of friends have gone to the Church theatre on S. Alamo and raved about it, as well as the San Pedro Playhouse.

Cinema on the Slab (at La Tuna, but soon to move to a new location)

We'll be decorating a float for the King William Parade.

Hang out with my neighbors - a mix of artsy, professional, youngish, well educated and well travelled types. A few First Fridays ago we were wandering by one of the many large houses in KW, and invited in by the owners to hang out. Not an art gallery, but he had a ton of interesting pieces. Great place!

Anyone go to the soapboxcar event in Tobin Hill?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-02-2008 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: inappropriate remark removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
Tell me more about the soap box derby on Tobin Hill. I wasn't aware of that.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times
Living and growing up in Northwood has provided myself with enormous cultural experiences. With the McNay down the street, we would often go not just to absorb the grounds but what a truly unique collection of paintings, and other artworks.
We had a family membership to the Witte and the Zoo both of which were heavily used. Although the Witte focuses heavily on the south texas experience, it's traveling exhibits were always neat.
We always managed to go to a few of the Broadway shows that come to the Majestic. Some off the top of my head; Miss Saigon, South Pacific, The Mikado, Phantom, Cats.
We also had a symphony subscription for 2 years, before we got tired of the constant mishandling of the tickets, more than once we would go and find people in our seats with the same tickets we had.
In high school, my friends and I would go down to First Friday, for the galleries and the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio