Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:52 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Failed? Can you please elaborate?
I’m guessing you are on your employer’s plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 09:09 AM

349 posts, read 422,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Why must you think in such general terms?

The party that you say wants to help the masses never outlines how these expensive fairytale programs are going to be paid for. The Affordable Care Act was a half a$& attempt and failed.

The biggest failure with that is they never actually fully implemented it, kept kicking the can down the road on certain provisions, but thats a separate issue.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:36 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
The biggest failure with that is they never actually fully implemented it, kept kicking the can down the road on certain provisions, but thats a separate issue.
That is my point. If you want Medicare for all then tell the average Joe this is the new way forward and it will cost you blank amount based on income. They won’t because they do no trust the voting public.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:23 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I’m guessing you are on your employer’s plan?
Ha, I wish! My COBRA is expiring Dec 31, so for the first time I'm on the open market. What an eye opener!

Again, how has it failed?

Old 11-17-2018, 02:24 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Ha, I wish! My COBRA is expiring Dec 31, so for the first time I'm on the open market. What an eye opener!

Again, how has it failed?
I feel your pain. My COBRA expired the month before the ACA plans became available. Because of a fairly minor pre-existing condition, I couldn't buy health insurance at any price. That was a scary month until my new policy kicked in.

The problem with the health insurance debate is that too many people have never had to buy health insurance. They get it through their jobs or their parents (thanks, Obamacare!) or Medicare or the VA or they choose not to have coverage. They have very strong opinions and they oppose any change because the system works great for their particular situation.

How does a comparable ACA plan stack up against your COBRA plan? In my experience, the prices are similar but the ACA plan will have higher deductibles and OOP. People complain about the spiraling cost of ACA plans, but COBRA (and thus employer) plans are increasing at a similar rate. People with employer plans just don't see it because the employer pays most of it.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
You managed to miss his entire point: Rafael Theodore Cruz is universally disliked. This isn't a red vs blue thing, or a conservative vs lib vs TeaParty thing, this is a "he is not a nice human being" thing.

Most of the politicians I disagree with (red or blue), it's because I don't like their policies, or their agenda, or something of that ilk. I don't typically have any antipathy for them as a person. But...

...there are very few I dislike as intensely as I do Lyin' Ted Cruz.
Sorry.. But I don't value your opinion any more than I do my dogs.
If Hitler was a likeable guy would you vote for him just because his opponent was "universally disliked"? You sound like somebody who has no concrete values about politics. Perhaps voting isn't for you. Voting was never meant to be a popularity contest.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:42 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
....The problem with the health insurance debate is that too many people have never had to buy health insurance. They get it through their jobs or their parents (thanks, Obamacare!) or Medicare or the VA or they choose not to have coverage. They have very strong opinions and they oppose any change because the system works great for their particular situation. ......
Bingo! Winner winner chicken dinner!

It is often only those who actually need health insurance (for themselves or a sick family member) does one truly understand the value of both having it and the ridiculousness of the high cost of the expenses (with co pays, deductibles and monthly premiums etc.)

The predatory and discriminatory behavior of the very profitable health industry also gets realized when one actually needs it. Denying pre existing conditions, putting lifetime limits on plans or charging people outrageous amounts with existing conditions are just a few examples of this very lucrative behavior.

These health insurance companies profit in the billions each year. That is a number with 10 digits in it. 10. Each year. They do this by charging the outrageous monthly premiums, deductibles, and copay's all the while selectively choosing those who are paying into it but don't really need and often rejecting those who do. Those who do need it, they limit what they can get from it.

Where does this very lucrative and profitable health insurance and healthcare industry put us versus other countries that offer universal healthcare? Better quality healthcare compared to them? Better outcomes? Less sick people? None of the above. They actually fare better then us in these areas. Research study after research study has shown us this.

Survey after survey and study after study has shown us that overall, profit in healthcare does not lead to better outcomes or service. It is my view, and a growing number of people each year, that profit and healthcare do not belong in the same sentence.

As you said, many don't need healthcare initially and therefore, just view it as an unnecessary monthly expense. There is also strong lobbying from some political camps that say a for profit health system is best (even though statistically it is not) and that taxes that pay for beneficial social programs that benefit millions are bad (even though international survey after survey shows otherwise). Well, to them I say, they are not called "purposes" but called "accidents". Cancer (insert disease here) is largely indiscriminate and so are injuries and sickness. Also, despite how young and healthy you are, you are not invincible and you will eventually get old and sick. Our society is aging. We are living longer. That does not mean our quality of life in these years is improving. You are going to eventually need healthcare and it is then that you will most likely experience "sticker shock" either with the plans or by paying out of pocket until this lucrative industry is reigned in too a reasonable degree.

Some political camps have strong lobbying and have convinced a portion of our public that socialized medicine is bad. This is despite the fact that we are one of the only free democratic countries in the entire world without it and despite the fact that the outcomes are better and people are happier overall with it.

We are one of the richest countries on the planet and after all:

Where 1 in 3 GoFundMe campaigns are for medical bills. Who needs socialized medicine when we can just use technology to beg from our friends and family?

We can do better people. I have faith!

Last edited by txbullsfan; 11-18-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 11-18-2018, 01:03 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Health care industry on track for massive profits

https://www.axios.com/health-care-in...3e3316c64.html

Some article excerpts:

"With more than a week to go in the second-quarter earnings season, the health care industry has already banked more profits than any other quarter in the past year.
The bottom line: Company after company has posted profits that have exceeded Wall Street estimates, and most firms have raised profit estimates for the rest of 2018.

By the numbers: As of Aug. 2, 85 publicly traded health care companies have amassed $47 billion of global profit on $545 billion of global revenue in the second quarter, according to company documents

But the larger earnings also stemmed from Republican's massive cut in corporate taxes. The income tax expense for drug giant AbbVie, for example, was 93% lower in the second quarter this year."

- End article excepts

Old 11-18-2018, 10:11 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Sorry.. But I don't value your opinion any more than I do my dogs.
If Hitler was a likeable guy would you vote for him just because his opponent was "universally disliked"? You sound like somebody who has no concrete values about politics. Perhaps voting isn't for you. Voting was never meant to be a popularity contest.
I don't recall asking you to value my opinion. And voting is absolutely a popularity contest.

Sounds like voting isn't for YOU.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
If voting is a popularity contest then I hope you don't complain about policies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio