Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 07:24 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What about Mexico?
If you like small government and few social services so much why don't you go live in Somalia?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...43717681680978
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
I would rather have some type of preventative healthcare than none at all.

A lot of people have health problems and can only go to the E.R when it gets too bad.

Also statically countries with socialized are healthier overall than the USA.
Live with socialized medicine like I did. Guarantee it will change your mind.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 PM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
I used to work with some wealthy Brits who were very supportive (verbally) about their socialized medical system.
However, they did private pay for their personal medical needs and were also happy to talk about their island based tax havens.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:09 PM

814 posts, read 676,702 times
My cousin had a kidney stone attack while visiting a small town in the UK years ago. The ambulance drivers were on strike but one in the next town over was staying on duty for emergencies. Took a couple volunteers to tote my cousin down three flights of hotel stairs into the ambulance.

Care was good at the hospital. No charge even for a US citizen. Hospital has no accounts receivable dept.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Live with the system we had before the ACA, where people with preexisting conditions couldn't buy insurance at any price. Guarantee it will change your mind.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:34 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times
Quote:
How is no preventative treatment better than at least some?

I'm not trying to be offensive but I would think that you're one of the people in the US that has never had to go without health insurance.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Based on these two replies, I'm having trouble determining if you're trolling, or truly don't get it.

Either way...
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Are you trolling man? Please use the /sarcasm if you are joking as it is hard to tell joking and tone on the internet.

I'm not trolling, I'm being 100% serious.

If I was trolling, y'all would know it. Also, I'd be using or .

Old 11-30-2018, 11:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
So, is the prevailing idea locally that it is acceptable for all to have terrible health plans, as long as no one person or group has something better? That seems to be the thought process. Let's adopt some failed form of socialized medicine, or Medicare for all, drastically increasing costs, limiting access to care (rationing), extending wait times, running up an unsustainable deficit, just so some people don't have decent plans! Sort of like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

There are those who believe that enforcing equal misery upon everybody is somehow morally superior to allowing anything that could even be perceived as "inequality."

Old 12-01-2018, 01:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Lived it in the UK, and compared to here, it is a huge step backwards. If you want to see what socialized health care looks like, talk to any relatives that have had to deal with the VA.
I have heard this from a handful of people before and it stinks you did not like socialized health care. Hopefully you and your family have success in whatever type of system you are in.

I too deal with the VA and despite the occasional horror stories and opinions, thank God I have it based on what I deal with. Sure, VA care can be hit or miss but so can any civilian practice. Anyone who has seen a number of civilian doctors over a number of years will tell the same thing. Hit or miss care. Some are better then others. Its the same thing with socialized VA care as it is regarding civilian care. There are horror stories and opinions on both sides but hit or miss care occurs with both. Thank God I have the VA healthcare system. This is a huge load of my mind and it has gone a long way in diagnosing and treating things. In fact, where I am at, the facility is state of the art and the care has been better overall then in the civillian side (I have and use both VA insurance and have Tricare insurance).

I have also heard some horror stories about socialized medicine. However, those same opinions and horror stories we hear about socialized medicine is also happening with regards to our "for profit" healthcare system. People in other countries criticize and have horror stories about our for profit healthcare system.

The point? After deploying and traveling the world and the country many times over, horror stories and opinions about something goes both ways and there is always the exceptions to the rule. Unfortunately, it appears it is the exceptions that people hold onto.

What is important then is to not just listen to stories, opinions and "hearsay". It is important to do our own research and to look at the whole picture, not just take a piece of the puzzle and label the who puzzle as faulty or bad. This is what polls and studies do. What do multiple polls and multiple studies over multiple years show regarding both socialized medicine and for profit medicine?

Regarding the extensive studies and polls that are done:

1. Are people in countries with free preventative and general health care medicine healthier overall compared to the for profit US?
2. Where does the US rank in regards to overall health of its citizens compared to socialized medicine countries?
3. Where does the US rank in regards to "clinical outcomes" in regards to socialized medicine?
4. Where does the US rank in regards to medical costs compared to socialized medicine?
5. Are people happier overall in other socialized medicine country's?
6. Are people happy to pay more in taxes to pay for socialized medicine and for these other beneficial social programs?

While some of the wealthy in the healthcare industry and some political leaders have spent large amounts of dollars, lobbied and convinced a portion of the public that socialized medicine is bad and for profit is good, what does thorough and unbiased research show us when we use Google or go down to our local library to read about the matter of socialized medicine in regards to for profit medicine?

After traveling the world and as someone who enjoys thoroughly researching a matter, I tend to find that those generally opposed to socialized medicine usually are either not well traveled, have not thoroughly researched the matter and/or, they have not had to deal with a chronic very expensive condition (pre existing or otherwise) for them or someone close to them. The comment I hear so often when in other countries is "thank God you don't get really sick in the US". "How do you guys manage". "Arent you afraid of getting truly sick"?

Please, if you are against socialized medicine I ask you to research the above questions and do some thorough unbiased research before commenting about it. I am really interested in what you find. Please, come on here and tell us what you found regarding the above questions. I am open minded and am willing to see the links you provide to support your stance regarding the above questions.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
If you like small government and few social services so much why don't you go live in Somalia?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...43717681680978
When did I say I wanted that?
It is quite obvious why I don't want to live in Somalia. I'm guessing it's the same reason you don't want to either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio