Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,485 times

Advertisements

Sorry if there is a list somewhere already but I couldn't find any posts specifically dedicated to rating SA hospitals based on patient feedback. Other government sites rate the Houston and Dallas regions as having the better hospitals but nothing close in quality for SA. My wife and I are in our mid 60's and looking to retire to SA (1st choice) or Austin (2nd choice), no kids, so having easy access to good health care is important. TIA for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
2019 San Antonio Hospital Guide - San Antonio Magazine - January 2019 - San Antonio, TX

The article covers most (if not all) of the hospitals in the metro. Some key highlights:

Baptist Health Systems:

In its most recent “Best Hospitals” edition, US News & World Report ranked Baptist Medical Center, including all five San Antonio hospitals, No. 1 in San Antonio and 13th among the 367 hospitals in Texas. Baptist was named by the magazine as a “Best Regional Hospital” and earned “Honor Roll” designation, receiving the highest rating possible in the treatment of five procedures or conditions: heart failure, colon cancer surgery, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease COPD, hip replacement and knee replacement. In November 2018, the Leapfrog Group awarded “A” Safety and Quality Grades for all campuses except Baptist Medical Center, which received a “B.”

Methodist Hospital:

Methodist Hospital is an accredited Chest Pain Center and a certified Comprehensive Stroke Center, offering the most advanced stroke treatment available. Ranked No. 1 Best Regional Hospital in San Antonio by U.S. News and World Report, Methodist Hospital became the first Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in San Antonio to earn the Level IV designation from the Texas Department of State Health Services, recognizing the comprehensive, high quality care the hospital provides for the most critically ill and vulnerable infants. Methodist Hospital has the largest robotics program in San Antonio and is also recognized as a Hidden Scar Center for Hidden Scar Breast Cancer Surgery. As the first FACT-accredited Bone and Marrow Transplant program in North America, the program is one of the busiest in the nation. Methodist Hospital has also garnered an A for three consecutive years in quality from the Leapfrog Group organization, a consumer watch dog group that monitors hospital quality.

Metropolitan Methodist Hospital:

Metropolitan Methodist Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission in Stroke Care and is designated as an accredited Chest Pain Center. The Breast Cancer Center was the first center in San Antonio to be accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) and the hospital is the first Texas hospital to be awarded Gold Seal of Approval for Sepsis Quality Measures by The Joint Commission. Modern Healthcare has recognized the hospital as a National Top Workplace for two consecutive years. The hospital is also a long-standing leader in LGBTQ inclusion, being the only hospital in South Texas to rank in the Health Equity Index four years in a row. Metropolitan Methodist Hospital has also garnered an “A” in Quality from the Leapfrog Group organization, a consumer watchdog group that monitors hospital quality, as well as being named a Top General Hospital in 2017.

Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital:

Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital earned the Leapfrog Group “A” for Patient Safety for spring and fall 2018. It is certified in Chest Pain Care and as a Center of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Excellence, with the earliest accredited program in South Texas. The hospital is recognized nationally for its kidney, liver and pancreas transplant programs. Since 2009, it has performed more live donor kidney transplants than any other program in the U.S. and is internationally recognized as a leader in paired kidney transplant exchanges. Its liver transplant program is ranked first in one-year survival rates in Texas (for 14 of the past 15 years) and is consistently in the top five nationally. Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is a leader in the treatment of liver and biliary disease. Its Behavioral Health Services provide adult, geriatric and chemical dependency services on inpatient, outpatient and a partial hospital basis. The hospital has a recognized Sexual Assault Response Team for victims ages 13 and older and is part of the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program, working with victims in 60 South Texas counties. Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital is one of two hospitals in Texas utilizing advance scanners offering low-dose radiation therapy for liver tumors and cardiovascular incidents. It is home to the Methodist Peripheral Vascular Institute and offers the only Brachytherapy program in San Antonio for urology patients.

Nix Healthcare System:

Get with the Guidelines Gold Achievement Award, presented by the American Heart Association. The Gold Achievement Award is awarded to facilities that have reached an aggressive goal of treating patients with coronary artery disease, heart failure, or stroke with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standards for at least 24 months. Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement SM, presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas, a Division of Health Care Service Corporation. With this designation, Nix has demonstrated expertise in delivering quality knee and hip replacement by meeting objective, evidence-based criteria developed in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations’ recommendations. Institute of Quality Orthopedic Care for Total Joint Replacement, presented by national insurance leader, Aetna. This designation is based on measures of clinical performance, access and efficiency for orthopedic care in both inpatient and outpatient procedures. A national healthcare quality ratings and services company has awarded Nix Health’s Orthopedic Services Center 5 stars, their highest rating, for hip fracture repair and total knee replacement. The Nix Weight Loss Surgery Center is recognized as a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence by The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). The center has also been recognized as an Aetna Institute of Quality® Bariatric Surgery Facility for treating individuals living with morbid, or extreme, obesity. Facilities are selected for consistently delivering evidence-based, safe care. Additionally, the center is recognized as an MBSAQIP Accredited Center - Comprehensive by the American College of Surgeons. Nix Limb Salvage, Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center has been formally recognized as one of the top treatment facilities in the country, receiving accreditation with distinction from the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS).

University Hospital:

University Hospital has a number of recognitions that include being ranked among the top 50 hospitals in the nation for urology care by U.S. News & World Report and designated as high-performing in the care of kidney and lung disease. Since 2001, U.S. News has consistently ranked University Hospital among the best hospitals in Texas and the San Antonio region. It is also a Magnet hospital—a status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) since 2010. This is the gold standard of nursing care credentialing. Since 1997, The American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma has verified University Hospital as a Level I trauma center, indicating the trauma team’s capability to provide expert, around-the-clock treatment of the most serious injuries and to maintain its strong mission of education, research and prevention. University Health System has again been named one of the nation’s Most Wired Hospitals and Health Systems, a list based on the Most Wired Survey by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.

Good question to post, OP! San Antonio is on my short list for a retirement city and I hadn't thought to check out hospitals. I just assumed it had a bunch, being a large city. I was pleased to see there are more resources in SA for my specific health issues than I currently have in Phoenix. That was a surprise!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
For military retirees, the San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC) is pretty decent as far as Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs) go. They are also one of the top tier trauma centers in the city.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:39 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
If I was looking for medical care I would definitely choose the Methodist system of hospitals, followed by the Baptist system. I would completely avoid Southwest General and the Nix. Just my opinion.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:47 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times
Year and a half ago, I had heart surgery at St. Lukes. I was amazed at the care they gave...top notch.
From the nurses, to the aides, to the surgeons I dealt with, they all were just fantastic!
Even the food was good!
Hopefully, I will never need them again, but I know where I'm going if I do.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:27 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
I will never go to again or recommend Christus Santa Rosa at Westover Hills. The one and only time I ever needed a hospital ER, it was a nightmare for me. 8 hours in terrible pain, from a full-hit fall while carrying my 4 yr. old granddaughter, in the ER that was freezing cold and filled with others ahead of me..........mothers using the ER as a doctor's office for their kids that had colds. I ended up having a broken right arm just beneath the shoulder.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I will never go to again or recommend Christus Santa Rosa at Westover Hills. The one and only time I ever needed a hospital ER, it was a nightmare for me. 8 hours in terrible pain, from a full-hit fall while carrying my 4 yr. old granddaughter, in the ER that was freezing cold and filled with others ahead of me..........mothers using the ER as a doctor's office for their kids that had colds. I ended up having a broken right arm just beneath the shoulder.

That's most ERs, unfortunately. People who don't have appropriate healthcare use ERs for regular care that can be addressed by PCPs. Working in a hospital now I see more "Flu Like symptoms" then actual emergencies. FWIW, my family goes with Methodist for most things.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
I have had good luck with Methodist for ER several years ago so no complaints there.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:38 PM

358 posts, read 577,640 times
There are always complaints about waiting for help in an ER. You should be assessed pretty soon after you arrive. This is not like getting a number at Baskin Robbins. There WILL be people who come in after you who will be seen ahead of you. Generally when someone is being seen by an ER doctor that means there is no one else in worse shape than that patient at that moment. For the lady with the broken arm I am sure your pain was genuine and severe, but you had been assessed and the conclusion was that you were not going to die from it.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 AM

103 posts, read 202,721 times
I had multiple experiences with the Baptist Health System (with surgeries at both Northeast Baptist and North Central Baptist Hospitals.)

Each time, the quality of the care as well as the skills and attitudes of the employees (from surgeons to other doctors, anesthetists, nurses and administration) were all top-notch. They worked very well with my insurance company, provided excellent at-home care visits afterward, and attentive followup.

Based on what I personally experienced, I would definitely choose Baptist again.

But there are many other good hospitals in San Antonio - the city is very well-known as a medical/healthcare/bioscience "hub." The medical sector is a huge part of the economy here, with a $40 billion impact.

So yes, San Antonio has some very good hospitals!

Interesting tidbit: One out of every six San Antonio workers is employed in the healthcare/medical/bioscience industry.

San Antonio Healthcare, Bioscience Industry Generating Billions For Local Economy | Texas Public Radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio