Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,149 times

Advertisements

social work. look into non-profits. i am a counselor in a residential setting for teenagers with mental health and substance abuse issues. the pay isisnt great, but this is a pretty common entry level BA psychology job. i wish my university would have been more helpful. i just fell into this job by accident and am now working in my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:21 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,122,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunhitstheskye View Post
social work. look into non-profits. i am a counselor in a residential setting for teenagers with mental health and substance abuse issues. the pay isisnt great, but this is a pretty common entry level BA psychology job. i wish my university would have been more helpful. i just fell into this job by accident and am now working in my field.
Yes! Totally agree!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I know this is an old thread....but...if anyone happens upon this thread later on I'm going to point recent psychology grads toward UTHSCSA.

I'm still looking for a position, but within 48 hours all 4 of my applications were under consideration with one calling to set up an interview (again...within 48 hours). I only have a bit of psychology/social service experience and many of the research associate positions require zero experience. Of course there are lots of science based research areas but I found several community based programs that were going on through the school. So, look in odd places. There are jobs out there.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 01-21-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 10:20 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
It is always easier to find a job when you already have one...so a lower-paying entry-level opportunity still means getting experience that will help you find a better-paying gig.

If you are unhappy with your job and want to find another, do so before quitting.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:27 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
With a Masters in Education, wouldn't you be over-qualified as a Kindergarten Teacher or do you want to do this for altruistic reasons? Anyway, good luck with your career search!
Overqualified in THIS economy? I have two college degrees (one of them a Master's) and I'm working minimum wage. In this recession, people are taking jobs they can get!

I would love to be a kindergarten teacher. Teachers are getting paid about 43,000 a year!!

Unfortunately, it's hard to get your foot in the door as there are so many who are applying for one teacher position.

People are just trying to make ends meet any which way they can.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
ashbeeigh, good luck. Hope you get the job!

To the others, stay persistent. Employers are moving slow right now because there's not only a backlog, but lots of budgets are still getting finalized. Everyone's hurting. Several of my friends are jobless right now. Never seen it this bad.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:32 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
ashbeeigh, good luck. Hope you get the job!

To the others, stay persistent. Employers are moving slow right now because there's not only a backlog, but lots of budgets are still getting finalized. Everyone's hurting. Several of my friends are jobless right now. Never seen it this bad.
Me too. Fingers are crossed and prayers are said every night! The moment after I typed the response this morning I went to check on the jobs and 2 of the 4 positions had be canceled. Probably funding issues since they were grant funded, nonetheless it's a rough spot everyone is in.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I would like to announce that I finally got a callback...........................from the company that originally laid me off. Ha ha...ah well waddaya gonna do???

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM

51 posts, read 165,950 times
Default OP here

Thank you so much for keeping the thread alive! I did get an elementary teaching position. It is in San Angelo though. I am going to try to get one in San Antonio. At least now I will have a year of experience under my belt! I am teaching special education for K-3 and I love it! I would like to get my own classroom though! I am not making 43, 000 though. I am making 36,000. Not too bad for the area, but since we are maintaining TWO households (hubby is still in SA) it is really not much AT all. I didn't do it for the money though, so its all good! We made t his very difficult choice because in the long run it should pay off. I wo n't be a non-experienced teacher again! I am unsure if I will use my psychology degree ever though. I did the alternative cert. program and after this year will be a fully certified teacher. Time will tell!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 592 times
I'm now in your first position just graduated with my BA in psychology I'm curious about other options I've seen the post I would not dare say it was something I would be interested if I didn't think I could be a great teacher for all my kids. Just saying. What did you mean be alternative certification?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio