Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,573 times

Advertisements

Midori,
Where do you live? How many gal. does your bill say you used? I'm just wondering if there is a corelation to where we live to how much water and how high our bills are. I know they have been doing stuff with pipes and stuff in our neighborhood. Just wondering! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:10 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,991 times
You definitely have a leak somewhere... do you notice any of the lawn being particularly green and growing faster then anywhere else? Also.. the leak could be in your foundation... you never know.. look for tall grass and feel in the dirt to see if it is really moist...

Old 04-28-2008, 11:11 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
If you rent, you need to contact the owner ASAP and let them duke it out with the water company. Each should inspect their own pipes to determine the source of the leak, but the owner needs to know ASAP to address it, else he may hold you responsible.

When i rented we also had an enormous bill one time, but hadn't seen a leak. Fortunately the owners came as soon as I told them about the bill. SAWS determined the leak was on the property, under the house, so the owners were responsible. They paid the bill- although it was under $100, not $1000!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM

732 posts, read 3,552,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Midori,
Where do you live? How many gal. does your bill say you used? I'm just wondering if there is a corelation to where we live to how much water and how high our bills are. I know they have been doing stuff with pipes and stuff in our neighborhood. Just wondering! Thanks!
We're in Stonecreek......

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,573 times
How many gals does it say you used?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
If you rent, you need to contact the owner ASAP and let them duke it out with the water company. Each should inspect their own pipes to determine the source of the leak, but the owner needs to know ASAP to address it, else he may hold you responsible.

When i rented we also had an enormous bill one time, but hadn't seen a leak. Fortunately the owners came as soon as I told them about the bill. SAWS determined the leak was on the property, under the house, so the owners were responsible. They paid the bill- although it was under $100, not $1000!
I contacted the Property Mgr. over a month ago to let them know the sprinklers weren't working on one side.....it took them over a month to send someone to repair it.....I'm wondering if this is the source of the problem.....

I haven't noticed any moist soil.....or grass growing faster in any areas.....

Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM

41 posts, read 148,073 times
I work for a local water utility, I would ask them to reread your meter to make sure , there was no error. You can also check your meter and reread it and you can check to see if you have a leak by making sure no water is being used inside(ie: washing clothes, taking a shower) and then go to your meter and check if anything is moving on the meter. A numeric dial, or spinner type dial. If something is "turning" you have water going somewhere- a leak. Please remember that it is not a 100% check. There could still be a leak that shifts with the ground. You mentioned a sprinkler system that was not working, did you turn it off while waiting for repairs? Sometimes these systems malfunction and will run at odd times(like at 2am)- hence the high bill. Dm if you need more info, I would be happy to help.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
How many gals does it say you used?
Sorry Mojo...i forgot to respond earlier.....it says we used 167,552 gallons of water!

Queennefertiti.....I just checked the meter outside and the glass is shattered and it looks as if it's disconnected....there's loose wires coming out of it..... Needless to say it's not moving at all...

The lawn guy checked all around the house for leaks and moist ground when he came to fix the sprinklers (I had the water turned off while waiting for repairs)

I'm pretty sure the meter is broken/defective. They are supposed to come tomorrow and check it again....we'll see what happens.....

Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,821,902 times
""""just checked the meter outside and the glass is shattered and it looks as if it's disconnected....there's loose wires coming out of it..... Needless to say it's not moving at all.."""""

Obviously, that's a problem. Over 167,000 gallons too....OMG

Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midorigreen View Post
it says we used 167,552 gallons of water!
Just how close to Sea World are you?

Sounds like a dolphin tank or two got filled up on your dime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: