Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 10:52 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
In my opinion, if you’re looking at university work around San Antonio, you should look elsewhere. Because San Antonio has no serious university. The best they have is a UT sister school. Just my opinion.
Can you remind us all why you moved here if you have nothing good to say about San Antonio? I am having firstclassflyer flashbacks here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 11:30 AM

107 posts, read 107,587 times
I check realtor.com regularly, and I have found plenty of choices for homes under 200K. I have modest needs and I am just one person. I can get a two bedroom if I need to & I don't have to worry about school zoning. I prefer not to get a condo because as a general principle I am opposed to HOA's. But if it comes down to it I would consider a small condo if it's the right place (a last resort).

The job situation is what is worrying me, not the real estate market. Is it common for someone with a degree to earn less than 60K?

Old 05-15-2020, 11:45 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
I check realtor.com regularly, and I have found plenty of choices for homes under 200K. I have modest needs and I am just one person. I can get a two bedroom if I need to & I don't have to worry about school zoning. I prefer not to get a condo because as a general principle I am opposed to HOA's. But if it comes down to it I would consider a small condo if it's the right place (a last resort).

The job situation is what is worrying me, not the real estate market. Is it common for someone with a degree to earn less than 60K?
What things are musts for you? The houses you’re finding under 200k are probably former rentals or in not the most desirable areas of the city.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:47 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,002,363 times
I think you will have an easy time finding a job that makes more than $60k. Although I am surprised that is all you are making after 20 years of experience.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:01 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,773,330 times
Quote:
Depends on the degree obviously. Just simply having a degree doesn't determine what you get paid.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
What things are musts for you? The houses you’re finding under 200k are probably former rentals or in not the most desirable areas of the city.
Ideally I'd like a 3 bedroom 2 bath two car garage home with a small yard (not too big that I can't manage) and between 1000 to 1400 square feet (again I don't want it too big/too much maintenance). I will settle for a two bedroom if I have to though. I'd like a 2nd bath or at least a half bath for guests.

This is one example (there are many) of a house I would be interested in (the site lists the neighborhood as low crime)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-91838?view=qv

Old 05-15-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I think you will have an easy time finding a job that makes more than $60k. Although I am surprised that is all you are making after 20 years of experience.
Up until now I had been focusing on other things in my life besides my career. Now that my kid is grown and don't have family responsibilities anymore and can focus on career. It's me time - that is the life stage I am in now.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:16 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
Quote:
Ideally I'd like a 3 bedroom 2 bath two car garage home with a small yard (not too big that I can't manage) and between 1000 to 1400 square feet (again I don't want it too big/too much maintenance). I will settle for a two bedroom if I have to though. I'd like a 2nd bath or at least a half bath for guests.

This is one example (there are many) of a house I would be interested in (the site lists the neighborhood as low crime)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-91838?view=qv
Get a job first, unless you have ample savings to stick it out without a job during this time of crisis.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:09 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,829,912 times
OP, the folks I know in finance all make in the 60k+ range - at least in the public sector. And as you've seen, there's homes at your price points in decent areas.

I'd be talking with various local businesses - try pinging off the San Antonio Manufacturer's Association members list. And best of luck to you!!!

Old 05-15-2020, 07:04 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,447 times
Quote:

You said you wanted a "well built" home. That might be the kicker right there. Lots of cheaply built homes that fall into that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio