Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:43 PM

107 posts, read 109,805 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to SA next year - hopefully by then all this COVID-19 stuff will have died down. I am moving from Reno, NV so I already live in a state with no income tax like Texas and am used to not having to pay one.

I am in my mid-40's with a Bachelor's degree in Business Management and over 20 years of experience in various business fields. I was hoping to land a job with a salary of between $60-$70K to start. I am making 60K where I am (so that's kind of my floor).

I work at a University Controllers department doing grant accounting work. SA has several Universities, but when I checked out starting salary's for some of the equivalent positions that I am qualified for it seems they are in the $35-$45K range. That seems really low to me for someone with my education and experience. I am also looking in the private sector for jobs like Office Manager, Full-Charge Bookkeeper, Property Management Accountant - and I am finding those lower salaries as well. Any insight into this? Is $60-$70K too much to ask for in the area or am I just no looking at the right jobs? I'd love to hear various inputs on this, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 09:27 PM

62,112 posts, read 87,929,776 times
There are several websites that list salaries across the US. You can customize them to your specs.
https://www.payscale.com/research/US/State=Texas/Salary
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/s...0,11_IM757.htm

www.salary.com
www.indeed.com
www.ziprecruiter.com

The salaries might seem to be on the lower range but in most places they are negotiable.
You should consider the cost of living.
Houston or Dallas might pay better, though...

So, make use of those two too:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Or
https://www.bankrate.com/calculators...alculator.aspx

Just to get a general idea.

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 05-19-2020 at 06:04 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 04:49 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,127,911 times
In my opinion, if you’re looking at university work around San Antonio, you should look elsewhere. Because San Antonio has no serious university. The best they have is a UT sister school. Just my opinion.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:47 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,069,740 times
Move to Austin

Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 AM

9,855 posts, read 13,771,132 times
What's your reason for wanting to move to San Antonio? (Not being accusatory in any reason, but let me finish before jumping down my throat).

I agree that Austin might be a good fit, but if you were looking for a lower cost of living, Austin is not your place. SA has lots of small private universities, which may be why you're considering it, but with it being private they try to cut cots every which way possible. I'm assuming you're working at UN-Reno, so it's a public school and state funded. We have UTSA but the biggest school is going to be UT-Austin. I know a handful of people who work for UT-Austin and say they're going to be drug out dying before they leave. Up here Saint Ed's just said they were cutting lots of positions due to COVID and loss of funding. I might suggest staying put for a few years until this dies down.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 AM

62,112 posts, read 87,929,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerUSA45 View Post
I am also looking in the private sector for jobs like Office Manager, Full-Charge Bookkeeper, Property Management Accountant - and I am finding those lower salaries as well. Any insight into this? Is $60-$70K too much to ask for in the area or am I just no looking at the right jobs? I'd love to hear various inputs on this, thank you.
OP is also interested in other positions.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:29 AM

107 posts, read 109,805 times
The reputation that Austin has does not sound like my cup of tea. Maybe if I was a Millennial Vegan Hipster. Nothing wrong with any of those descriptors, except I am none of those things, therefore I prefer something more my style. I liked to visit there the one time I did go out there, but I don't think I would want to live there. I am traditional, conservative, past my 20's/30's, down home type of person. Austin sounds too expense anyway, I would need $80-90K in that case.

I'm drawn to SA to get a fresh start/a new life as I am an empty nester now and single/divorced - it's just me to worry about. I've lived in Reno over 24 years and its getting too expensive and too much like California (we call it California East). If I like SA I want to buy a modest but well built home under $200K and start saving more for retirement - so I like the lower cost of living there.

I don't have to work at a University (and at those salaries I might not) - I have other experience in the private sector as well. I've been in Finance, Real Estate, Property Management, Construction Bookkeeper/Office Manager.

Last edited by TravelerUSA45; 05-15-2020 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-15-2020, 09:49 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,069,740 times
Houston or Dallas then. Many more opportunities for you. You can get something in either city for your budget (most likely in/around Houston). Lots of Californians moving to any of the cities here in TX. (yes, here too)

Old 05-15-2020, 10:03 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,045,515 times
OP will never find a well built home in a decent neighbourhood in Houston or Dallas for under $200k. It will even be hard to find in San Antonio, though much easier than in those two places

Old 05-15-2020, 10:49 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,816,863 times
So the OP wants to move here for lower cost of living but wants to make the same amount of money as in Reno which he/she states has also higher cost of living.

And people wonder why the cost of living here in San Antonio is going up rapidly.

If you wanted a decent, solid house for $200K or less here...you missed the opportunity about 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio