Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 01:54 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times

Advertisements

As a kid in the 80's, I remember I liked riding in the Kroger shopping carts versus the HEB shopping carts because they were much wider and roomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2020, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 9,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Heb is headquarters are in SA. They ran everyone except the speciality stores like Trader Jose’s and Sprouts out of town.

The only Kroger I recall as a child was the one on Bandera and Huebner. It’s now a Hobby Lobby, it was the last time I was in town.
I grew up in the area and remember that Kroger, there was also a Walgreens next door and a
Blockbuster video. I also remember a pistol Pete’s pizza in that strip. Across the street was an H-E-B and a winns.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx20 View Post
I grew up in the area and remember that Kroger, there was also a Walgreens next door and a
Blockbuster video. I also remember a pistol Pete’s pizza in that strip. Across the street was an H-E-B and a winns.
Just catching my spelling mistake and laughing pretty hard, trader Jose’s and not Joe’s. The main thing I remember about that intersection is that my pediatrician was across the street.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:10 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,498,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Just catching my spelling mistake and laughing pretty hard, trader Jose’s and not Joe’s. The main thing I remember about that intersection is that my pediatrician was across the street.
LOL
I like Trader Jose's.

Old 09-19-2020, 06:21 PM

216 posts, read 132,129 times
I remember the area, but. It may have been before your time I believe. There used to be a Griff's hamburger stand on Bandera Rd. just past the Kroger around 1968, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx20 View Post

Old 09-20-2020, 02:29 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Isn't Trader Jose their brand name for Mexican products?

Old 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
I always wondered why there were no grocery stores besides HEB around here.

In Austin we have Randall's stores, which is crummy and expensive but usually not busy so I would go in there once in a while.
The Randall's stores (the remaining ones) are also terrible here in Houston! They are known for sky high prices and the after store closures, it has become more inconvenient to get to the closest one still open. The chain has gone downhill since Safeway merged into Albertsons!

The good part about living in Houston is having Kroger widely available. I prefer Kroger to H-E-B, but they are better choices to have for grocery shopping than having Randall's in the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
As a kid in the 80's, I remember I liked riding in the Kroger shopping carts versus the HEB shopping carts because they were much wider and roomy.
At my childhood Kroger in the '90s, I remember those long and wide foldable shopping carts. Just realized that the Greenhouse store design did not have a lot of cart storage, thus the rationale for the foldable carts.

Old 11-12-2020, 04:32 PM

76 posts, read 90,041 times
So since I last posted this, I've been (somewhat) able to find the opening dates for the SA Kroger stores and they're all compiled on this list that I've been making on one of my blogs along with other South Texas Kroger stores. If any information is incorrect, let me know: https://strretaildatabase.blogspot.com/p/kroger.html

Old 05-20-2023, 09:32 PM

176 posts, read 357,370 times
1.O'Conner and Nacodogches Dollar Tree used to be a Kroger. Soapy Suds Laundromat uses the old Kroger signage
2. Austin Hwy and Sidell Golds Gym used to be a Kroger
3. San Pedro Ave and Bitters Office Depot used to be Kroger.
4. Culebra and Timberview Dollar Tree used to be a Kroger
5. Marbach Rd and Columbia Square Dollar Tree used to be a Kroger
6. There was also a Kroger on Walzem and Montgomery
7. Blanco Rd and West Ave where the Incredible Pizza sits used to be a Kroger
8 NW Military Hwy and Braesview where the Ross is used to be a Kroger
9. Bandera Rd and Huebner Hobby Lobby used to be Kroger
10. Blanco and Dresden used to be a Kroger
11. San Pedro Ave where the VIA Metropolitan Transit Center sits used to be a Kroger
12. Kroger 2321 SW Military Dr where the Office Depot currently sits
13. There was a Kroger where the Bandera road Walmart now sits near Woodlawn
14. There was a Kroger on 415 N New Braunfels 78202.
15. There was also a Kroger off of 6050 Ingram Rd 78238

There you have it, the 15 Kroger San Antonio Texas locations.

Last edited by LongLiveCassettes; 05-20-2023 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio