Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 03:54 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times

Advertisements

Texas property taxes are crazy but home prices are 1/4 what they are in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 04:10 PM

75 posts, read 362,142 times
You will definetly get alot more house for what you're currently living in now. I deal with alot of people from New York and they fall-over themselves when i tell them what $100,000.00 can get them in Texas regarding homes. That same home in the New York Metro area would cost maybe $250,000.00 on up and the space would be way less than 1500 square feet; depending on where you lived.

At the expense of losing out on snow and winter, you will gain alot more time in the outdoors and the scenery in fall out in the hill country is breathtaking.

BTW, what is Panera Bread?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 PM

217 posts, read 670,929 times
The only $100,000 houses in SA that I'm aware of are some of the shacks inside of 410. I think some of the newer ones in Converse, etc., are 130-140 now.

As for Texas houses being 1/4 the price of CA: of course. But that logic is lost if you are priced out of an SA house (i.e., single and making 50,000 yr.). If you are priced out of SA, it doesn't matter that you are priced out of California five times over. The comparisons are meaningless. You are still priced out. Yes, one could afford an SA house on 50,000 income, but I'm factoring in things like retirement savings, safety net income for illness and emergencies, and some entertainment. I'm not speaking in CA terms where you put every ounce of your being into your house and just pray that another area of your life doesn't spring a leak. That's what stupid people do.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:46 PM

30 posts, read 204,141 times
Default SA vs Dallas

I have lived in both. I would say that I prefer Dallas because there is so much more job potential, better schools and more attractions. SA has some charm, but I think it is more short term.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I used to live in Petersburg, VA--I moved here in 1985 and won't ever go back, I don't think. Do you still pay personal property tax on your vehicles and boats, etc? We don't have that in Texas. Plus there is no county tag on the vehicles, you just pay for the state registration and safety inspection. I just remember as a college student there that I got taxed to death! When you buy a house here, you just have them set up an escrow account for the property taxes, and then it just seems like your payment is a little higher. But at least then you don't have to cough up the whole amount due once a year. You just get used to it!

I don't think you would regret moving here, although Virginia is a really beautiful state. I have 3 brothers that still live in the Chester area, and I enjoy visiting! It gets much, much hotter here, and you have to learn the rain dance, but other than that, San Antonio is an awesome place to raise kids and eat Mexican food!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:38 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
You will definetly get alot more house for what you're currently living in now. I deal with alot of people from New York and they fall-over themselves when i tell them what $100,000.00 can get them in Texas regarding homes. That same home in the New York Metro area would cost maybe $250,000.00 on up and the space would be way less than 1500 square feet; depending on where you lived.

At the expense of losing out on snow and winter, you will gain alot more time in the outdoors and the scenery in fall out in the hill country is breathtaking.

Panera Bread is delicious! They have the best French onion soup I've ever had, and you can actually eat the bowl it comes in, since it's made out of bread. Their sandwiches and salads are really good, too! It's more upscale than a Quizno's or a Jason's Deli, although the ones I've eaten at you still have to order at the counter. Anyway, I went to their website and couldn't locate any info on upcoming locations, so all we can do is cross our fingers! I can picture one going in at The Rim, or a newer shopping center. We'll see.....

Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
There are $100k homes in the north and northwest. The Great Northwest is a blue collar neighborhood and the homes there are in the $80k range. My hairdresser just got a new KB spec home in Helotes for $120k. So they'll have to upgrae their linolium to tile later, they now own a new home for a 'nothin' to sneeze at' price. If you can move out further to Ciobolo or New Braunfels you can get a decent slice of land for a pretty good price too. I guess it just depends on where they put the Panera!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,243,051 times
Try Cibolo or Schertz. They are both outside of Bexar county, their property taxes I believe are lower. They are also very nice towns.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:12 AM

531 posts, read 2,074,362 times
Robert123, why is the comparison meaningless? Its much easier to purchase a home in San Antonio then it is in CA. You can also have breathing room. If you want to live in a cosmopolitan place like hollywood you will be dropping 1300-1500 a month on a 1 bedroom apartment! If you want to buy this apartment it will cost you 500k! I pay more in rent in L.A. then I do on the mortgage in Monte Vista!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 08:00 AM

104 posts, read 521,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post

That's what I'm seeing. I guess it's a trade off. Better house, no snow. I can live with that. I'm just psyched to be able to afford a bigger house! We have lots of old family friends in San Antonio and Canyon Lake that have retired there. They are all retired Air Force, so I figure if so many of them chose SA to retire, it must be a pretty nice place!

panerabread.com will show give you some insight.

Basically, it's an eclectic cafe type atmosphere. They are a bakery/sandwich/soup/salad/coffee restaurant. All Panera's have free WiFi. The food is really really really good! Everything is baked fresh daily, and all the leftovers at the end of the day are donated to various churches and organizations that in turn feed it to the homeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio