Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 08:16 AM

133 posts, read 80,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
West of Junction, TX is "country".

600+ homes added to sleepy Kerrville planning dept this yr.

Comfort, TX has a few subdivisions platted and more in the works.
Wow!!! I keep reading articles about Kerrville is the new place to shop etc. Which is fine but here comes the development. Look what happened to Boerne and Helotes! Those were once sleepy towns and now theyre over developed and crawling with people and terrible traffic. You almost have to move the mountains in Montana to escape this development. Which sounds nice actually at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2020, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA SKOL View Post
Wow!!! I keep reading articles about Kerrville is the new place to shop etc. Which is fine but here comes the development. Look what happened to Boerne and Helotes! ...You almost have to move the mountains in Montana to escape this development. Which sounds nice actually at times.
BTDT in the 1970's when the influx of Texans chased us from Colorado.

CO, WY, MT. ID, OR, WA, NV, UT, AR, NM were ruined 40 yrs ago.

Need to look a littler further away. (the moon?)

Desirable places have been claimed, and Covid escape and WFH has sent the few available props sky high. I sold another Mtn place this weekend. (my 3rd soll since Covid. None were planned for the next 5 yrs, but people come knocking and selling can be good when demand is high. I have lived through a few RE droughts)

Old 11-10-2020, 06:57 AM

Well...Texans do have a good track record of seizing and conquering. Remember the Alamo!

Out of all those states you listed the only ones I would even consider would be WY, MT, or UT. All those other states dont appeal to me whatsoever.

If the moon were capable of sustaining life I could handle it. But then again I am sure a Dennys and nail salon would find their way into space. Prime real estate baby!

I am sorry but what is WFH? I am sure for those who can afford it getting the ultimate social distancing in the mountains is ideal. I would love to do that. Wanna sell me a mt. home at a reduced price? Like waaaaay reduced lol!

Old 11-10-2020, 08:53 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,027,144 times
Quote:
Wow!!! I keep reading articles about Kerrville is the new place to shop etc. Which is fine but here comes the development. Look what happened to Boerne and Helotes! Those were once sleepy towns and now theyre over developed and crawling with people and terrible traffic. You almost have to move the mountains in Montana to escape this development. Which sounds nice actually at times.
I don't see the areas south of San Antonio or west of Castroville being over developed anytime soon. Same with north of Fredericksburg and Mountain Home.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:38 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,374,070 times
Quote:
Well...Texans do have a good track record of seizing and conquering. Remember the Alamo!

Out of all those states you listed the only ones I would even consider would be WY, MT, or UT. All those other states dont appeal to me whatsoever.

If the moon were capable of sustaining life I could handle it. But then again I am sure a Dennys and nail salon would find their way into space. Prime real estate baby!

I am sorry but what is WFH? I am sure for those who can afford it getting the ultimate social distancing in the mountains is ideal. I would love to do that. Wanna sell me a mt. home at a reduced price? Like waaaaay reduced lol!
From the context regarding Covid, it's most likely Work From Home.

Old 11-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,785 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Yes, "Work-from-home" WFH has driven rural pricing through the roof. On my Texas homes, I got calls from NY, NH, VT, CT, MA, MN, WI, IL all seeking to bail out of suburbia and metro areas.

Of your potential states... I would pack up and head out to one (likely MT, for easier building requirements). I have bought (2) places in Texas recently as they were still great deals, tho I plan to resell by April 8th, 2024. April 9th, I am GONE from Texas. (as a place for PT living).

I sell mine for 15 - 30% off prime market retail, so buyer gets a good deal and I get enough. I often sell to tenants so as to not displace them and give them a chance to get a start at home ownership. Works even better for commercial props, as tenant (new owner) gets an immediate cash flow from other tenants, and often no longer has that cash flow burden on their business. (tho the smart ones still lease space to themselves as a legitimate and necessary business expense). They get a 'paid-off' property in 10 - 15 yrs + 10-12% Return on capital for assets invested.

Home ownership?.... not so great of an investment decision in high cost / desirable areas. Usually better to rent while there and get your RE capital working for you in a different market with better returns. I have never considered my home as a sound financial investment, just +/- for some people feeling more security (permanency) by owning. Even my homes that have 3x - 5x increases in value do not have a good financial performance over time. (Current home is valued at 10x my cost basis, but it is not exceptional as an 'investment'.)

Just use the 'rule of 72' for a quick reality check. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/ruleof72.asp

I also always consider 1% rental income from total price (in case I get transferred or need to rent the home due to medical needs. (and market is DEAD as it can be for decades)) i.e.... $100,000 home needs to rent for $1000/ month or no use bothering with it. $300k home = $3000 gross rents per month. If that is not possible, walk away.

I seldom buy anything that is already listed For Sale, and much less often from a realtor.. That's too late for direct negotiation / affordable deal, and you have hundreds of others in competition to buy it. Best to 'dig -up' your own deals and make them work. (quickly and quietly).

BTW:

Montana is NW of San Antonio

Old 11-10-2020, 05:05 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,266,523 times
For anyone planning to move to a rural area and work from home, I would suggest checking what type of high-speed internet (if any) is offered, before making the move.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/us/ru...rnd/index.html

Old 11-11-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I dont know half of these abbreviated words and phrases.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I don't see the areas south of San Antonio or west of Castroville being over developed anytime soon. Same with north of Fredericksburg and Mountain Home.
I have lived south of SA. More specifically Pearsall. Ehh...it was okay but I moved back here after 2 years if that stands for anything. I also have family that live in Castroville. A lot of their neighbors are retired/active military at Lackland. They seem to like it. Are you referring to west like Uvalde area? I would live near Uvalde. Garner is close out there.

Old 11-11-2020, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, "Work-from-home" WFH has driven rural pricing through the roof. On my Texas homes, I got calls from NY, NH, VT, CT, MA, MN, WI, IL all seeking to bail out of suburbia and metro areas.

Of your potential states... I would pack up and head out to one (likely MT, for easier building requirements). I have bought (2) places in Texas recently as they were still great deals, tho I plan to resell by April 8th, 2024. April 9th, I am GONE from Texas. (as a place for PT living).

I sell mine for 15 - 30% off prime market retail, so buyer gets a good deal and I get enough. I often sell to tenants so as to not displace them and give them a chance to get a start at home ownership. Works even better for commercial props, as tenant (new owner) gets an immediate cash flow from other tenants, and often no longer has that cash flow burden on their business. (tho the smart ones still lease space to themselves as a legitimate and necessary business expense). They get a 'paid-off' property in 10 - 15 yrs + 10-12% Return on capital for assets invested.

Home ownership?.... not so great of an investment decision in high cost / desirable areas. Usually better to rent while there and get your RE capital working for you in a different market with better returns. I have never considered my home as a sound financial investment, just +/- for some people feeling more security (permanency) by owning. Even my homes that have 3x - 5x increases in value do not have a good financial performance over time. (Current home is valued at 10x my cost basis, but it is not exceptional as an 'investment'.)

Just use the 'rule of 72' for a quick reality check. https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/ruleof72.asp

I also always consider 1% rental income from total price (in case I get transferred or need to rent the home due to medical needs. (and market is DEAD as it can be for decades)) i.e.... $100,000 home needs to rent for $1000/ month or no use bothering with it. $300k home = $3000 gross rents per month. If that is not possible, walk away.

I seldom buy anything that is already listed For Sale, and much less often from a realtor.. That's too late for direct negotiation / affordable deal, and you have hundreds of others in competition to buy it. Best to 'dig -up' your own deals and make them work. (quickly and quietly).

BTW:

Montana is NW of San Antonio
True MT is NW of SA. I am sure it is beautiful. Harsh winters I'd imagine.

I am not going to pretend to understand real estate and I tried to follow your post. Are you referring to flipping houses? Why is home ownership a bad idea as far as an investment? Just curious what you meant by that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio