Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 04:39 PM

1,042 posts, read 882,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
This is the same argument that comes up every time a professional sports franchise is mentioned. San Antonio is a blue collar, low income city. Its citizens just don't have the disposable funds to support a symphony even if they had interest. A quick search found several articles on it and San Antonio isn't the only town losing its symphony. It seems to be a national trend. Anyway, I don't think anyone even noticed the symphony was gone.

This, and sadly it's correct.

San Antonio celebrates a new burger joint with more zeal than anything. That speaks volumes.

Yet, they somehow have the disposable income to cough up for Spurs tickets. Go figure.

Bottom line, it's embarrassing considering every other major city in Texas has their symphony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 04:54 PM

3,358 posts, read 1,459,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
This is the same argument that comes up every time a professional sports franchise is mentioned. San Antonio is a blue collar, low income city. Its citizens just don't have the disposable funds to support a symphony even if they had interest. A quick search found several articles on it and San Antonio isn't the only town losing its symphony. It seems to be a national trend. Anyway, I don't think anyone even noticed the symphony was gone.
I noticed.

Old 06-22-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I am fairly certain that ticket sales generate the revenue that pays the salaries.
Most metropolitan Symphonies have a foundation that actively solicits funds from individual donors, and more importantly corporate donors. These foundations typically provide up to 60% of a Symphony’s operating budget. I have no information other than what I have read in the paper, but I suspect that Symphony’s Board has been unsuccessful in securing the support of long term corporate donors. I’m sure they have beaten the bushes and looked for funding, but I suspect that funding just has not been forthcoming. San Antonio does not have many large companies that have the resources to pony up funds to run a Symphony. I see H‑E‑B’s name on a bunch of stuff, and there is the AT&T Center….I suspect they were approached and said we’ve already given.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:50 PM

4,440 posts, read 5,363,734 times
Again, this affects such a small population in any city. We have traveling symphonies and you can take a show in on vacation. Is it unfortunate? Yes.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Again, this affects such a small population in any city. We have traveling symphonies and you can take a show in on vacation. Is it unfortunate? Yes.
The bankruptcy speaks to the larger issue of the quality of life in San Antonio. As amenities like this disappear, as companies like AT&T move out, the lack of professional sports (excluding the Spurs), etc. just add to the perception of the city being a less desirable place to live. This in turn tends to make it less likely other businesses will relocate here and so on. San Antonio may never be a world class city, but it can do better.

Old 06-23-2022, 07:52 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,800,168 times
Remind me again why does San Antonio need to be a "world class city"? A few posters in this thread expressed the desire for San Antonio to be so.

It is sad that we lost the symphony/orchestra. I wonder if effects of pandemic measures over the last couple years was the final nail in the coffin.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:28 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,027,144 times
^I agree actually. I like San Antonio the way it is. I don't want it to become Dallas or Houston or Austin.

Old 06-23-2022, 04:57 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,533,306 times
half a loaf is better than no loaf at all.
Same happens to the New Orleans Orchestra prior to 2000,these musicians have to find another job .
I dont know anyone who goes to orchestra?

Old 06-23-2022, 06:55 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,863,097 times
It seems that as far back as I can remember, the symphony has struggled to stay afloat here - as well as in other cities. Part of the problem (to me) is that it tends to come across as stodgy, rather than fun and creative. I used to love playing symphony music - did so for 5 years in school. We got a new music director in my HS junior year that was so rigid and unbending, he allowed NOTHING to be played but "classical" music. The next year, what had been a band that people fought to qualify to be a part of had less than 25% of what was needed to perform.

Old 06-24-2022, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
It seems that as far back as I can remember, the symphony has struggled to stay afloat here - as well as in other cities. Part of the problem (to me) is that it tends to come across as stodgy, rather than fun and creative. I used to love playing symphony music - did so for 5 years in school. We got a new music director in my HS junior year that was so rigid and unbending, he allowed NOTHING to be played but "classical" music. The next year, what had been a band that people fought to qualify to be a part of had less than 25% of what was needed to perform.
Your music director’s selection of “classical” music was misguided and poorly chosen. Plenty of “classical” music that could be characterized as anything but “stodgy”. I point you to the 3rd movement of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony or the entirety of his 5th Piano Concerto. Possibly some of the most meloditic any dynamic music compositions ever written. Quite timeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio