Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 02:20 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,772,433 times

Advertisements

Something needs to be done about this. Alamo Heights has seemed to have a bullying problem for awhile now. Football players are not that important.

Quote:
Twenty-one of those students have been suspended as a result of the district's investigation, an adult source at the district tells KENS 5. That same source says some of the athletes, the "perpetrators," received two-game suspensions while one-game punishments were handed to victims who "were considered willing participants."
Quote:
"The senior boys did an initiation, where they went out to the baseball fields and made the younger players put cookies dipped in hot sauce between their butt cheeks. Then, they had to race each other, and if any of the cookies fell out the person would have to eat it. They made them do this in an open space completely naked. They then also were throwing hot sauce on some of the players, then at a later party, made some of the freshman get down to their boxers and give lap dances to some cheerleaders."
https://www.kens5.com/article/sports...6-14044f55b225

Alamo Heights ISD confirms investigation into members of football team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 06:17 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Every time I hear about some sort of "initiation" tactic with frats, sororities, HS seniors, etc. that involves someone being naked, it all seems "suspect" to me. There are 1 million other ways to initiate someone that doesn't involve nudity.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:07 AM

In my opinion....the entire football program should be shut down for this year at Alamo Heights as well as the cheerleading squad.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:46 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
This is not bullying it is hazing. Like what fraternities do to pledges. All the kids at AH think they are in a frat so I am not surprised they did this.

Still stupid though... and definitely questionable. I am not necessarily against hazing but what the freshman were said to do is very suspect. Makes Alamo Heights look bad.

@Azure If you want to compare schools. Alamo Heights definitely doesn't have a bullying problem. Maybe a hazing problem. Hondo has a much worse bullying problem than Alamo Heights.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Every time I hear about some sort of "initiation" tactic with frats, sororities, HS seniors, etc. that involves someone being naked, it all seems "suspect" to me. There are 1 million other ways to initiate someone that doesn't involve nudity.
Agreed.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
@Azure If you want to compare schools. Alamo Heights definitely doesn't have a bullying problem. Maybe a hazing problem. Hondo has a much worse bullying problem than Alamo Heights.
Here is a post from a parent on another site. Things may be different now but when I attended Hondo schools from elementary all the way to high school....I didn't experience bullying or see much of it. Sure it was there some but no where near the level where one was made to strip naked and run with hot sauce infused cookies in their butt crack.

Quote:
With everything happening in Alamo Heights lately I feel like its important to know how to make a formal complaint against the school district. My son was bullied at Alamo Heights Jr school and I felt like the school district did not appropriately handle the situation. I had to figure this out on my own and do some research. The form is called an FNG local and is only available at the district office. The district feels as though if it is important enough you will go pick it up. I'm not making this up there is a video of a school board meeting with them saying this. You have 10 days to file the report and the district only has to share what they feel is necessary. Not making this up also in a video of school board meeting. Another important thing to know is Alamo Heights does not have a zero tolerance bullying policy. I have proof of this on a recording of level 2 meeting with assistant superintendent. The last important thing to know is about the bullying checklist that comes from David's law. If you feel like your child has been bullied fill it out and see. The school is supposed to do this but just in case. Also if your child is a part of the 504 program and is found to have been a victim of bullying it is illegal for the school to punish your child. They tried to punish my son and they never got to do it. Just a little information for any parents that need some help. I a also forgot to mention the FNG local on the website is not the one you need it doesn't have the part you need to fill out in order to get the process started. If the school handles the incident they usually don't report the incident as bullying. Making this report forces the school to be accountable that's why they say let the school handle it so nothing is reported to the state.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:37 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,689,106 times
These are serious disciplinary actions they most likely will not be publicized due to the students’ ages. Most likely they will have some sort of consequence associated with the district’s disciplinary alternative education program (deap)

Old 09-02-2022, 09:25 AM

303 posts, read 364,524 times
Contrarian viewpoint here.

Complete overreaction and a jerk the wheel scenario by all involved. These kids were all willing participants: hot sauce, cookies, and buttcheeks sounds like a completely "fun and games tradition" that's probably been going on for 320 years at Alamo Heights High School and the football team. None of these kids are naive and didn't know what they were getting into. It is team building. Sadly, what probably happened is some kid had an allergic reaction, and parents were outraged like parents tend to get.

Seriously, look at some of the stuff that has come out of HS Football programs that is truly deplorable hazing: rapes with baseball bats and sticks, etc.

I'd say it's better to save your outrage for CTI stuff and high school football, and some of the underground traditional racists and ivory tower stuff that can come out of some of the households in that area (not exclusive to AH!)

The lap dance cheerleader thing is almost certainly a way overblown accusation.

You know darn well the coaches know exactly how this plays out. Their feigned ignorance is more of a disgrace than the actions of the kids.

Literally all that needs to happen is the coaches sit these kids down, tell them to dial it down a notch, and move on. If you think for a second that the family that ratted out the whole thing won't be ran out of AH by the pack of wolves that are the typical upper-middle class parents, you're mistaken.

The WHOLE thing is a nothing-burger.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:03 AM

Definitely wasn’t a thing when I went to heights.

Old 09-02-2022, 12:09 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
Contrarian viewpoint here.

Complete overreaction and a jerk the wheel scenario by all involved. These kids were all willing participants: hot sauce, cookies, and buttcheeks sounds like a completely "fun and games tradition" that's probably been going on for 320 years at Alamo Heights High School and the football team. None of these kids are naive and didn't know what they were getting into. It is team building. Sadly, what probably happened is some kid had an allergic reaction, and parents were outraged like parents tend to get.

Seriously, look at some of the stuff that has come out of HS Football programs that is truly deplorable hazing: rapes with baseball bats and sticks, etc.

I'd say it's better to save your outrage for CTI stuff and high school football, and some of the underground traditional racists and ivory tower stuff that can come out of some of the households in that area (not exclusive to AH!)

The lap dance cheerleader thing is almost certainly a way overblown accusation.

You know darn well the coaches know exactly how this plays out. Their feigned ignorance is more of a disgrace than the actions of the kids.

Literally all that needs to happen is the coaches sit these kids down, tell them to dial it down a notch, and move on. If you think for a second that the family that ratted out the whole thing won't be ran out of AH by the pack of wolves that are the typical upper-middle class parents, you're mistaken.

The WHOLE thing is a nothing-burger.

I'm inclined to agree here.

Because we have helicopter parenting now and that AH is one of the most wealthy and whitest districts in the city, this went from a local kerfuffle to national news. The privilege angle sold it beautifully.

As if once they get to University, some of this same stuff won't happen. Welcome to frat/sports life.

Once again, this was the news cycle feeding into the story and helping create the subtext.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio