Hondo: City of Hondo Float - Medina County Fair Parade 2006
Hondo: Mighty Hondo Owl Band - Medina County Fair Parade 2006
Hondo: Medina County Fair Parade 2006
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||30.3 years|
|Texas median age:||34.4 years|
Zip codes: 78861.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $15,104 (it was $12,635 in 2000)
Hondo city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $114,671 (it was $52,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $130,723; Detached houses: $141,985; Mobile homes: $69,112; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $38,412
Median gross rent in 2015: $776.
Races in Hondo, TX (2015)
- 2,61228.1%White alone
- 8509.1%Black alone
- 690.7%American Indian alone
- 290.3%Two or more races
- 20.02%Asian alone
|Old Gas Stations in San Antonio (47 replies)|
|SA- America's 5th largest city? Could be.... (103 replies)|
|A new Walmart in Castroville (25 replies)|
|Vote NO on El Paso School Bond (12 replies)|
|Halloween and Autumn activities in San Antonio or surroundings (4 replies)|
|Steak house in San Antonio that won't break the bank (21 replies)|
Latest news from Hondo, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (8.1%), American (3.3%), African (1.7%), Scottish (1.4%), Irish (1.2%), English (1.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 895 feet
Land area: 9.59 square miles.
Population density: 945 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Hondo:
- High school or higher: 73.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 7.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hondo city:
- Never married: 43.6%
- Now married: 37.7%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 9.7%
512 residents are foreign born (5.2% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 27 registered sex offenders living in Hondo, Texas as of June 25, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Hondo to the number of sex offenders is 330 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $2,003 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,294 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Antonio, TX (38.8 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: D'Hanis, TX (3.2 miles ), Castroville, TX (4.0 miles ), Sabinal, TX (4.4 miles ), Devine, TX (4.5 miles ), LaCoste, TX (4.5 miles ), Natalia, TX (4.5 miles ), Moore, TX (4.6 miles ), Lakehills, TX (4.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $97,400
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 1999: 9 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $35,500
- 2002: 11 buildings, average cost: $87,000
- 2003: 87 buildings, average cost: $26,300
- 2004: 94 buildings, average cost: $67,800
- 2005: 18 buildings, average cost: $82,900
- 2006: 11 buildings, average cost: $122,800
- 2007: 15 buildings, average cost: $90,000
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $129,000
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $126,200
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $117,800
- 2011: 6 buildings, average cost: $260,900
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $99,800
- 2013: 5 buildings, average cost: $176,800
- 2014: 9 buildings, average cost: $79,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 29.35 N, Longitude: 99.15 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +928 (+10.0%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,011 (69.2%)
Area code: 830
|Crime rates in Hondo by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||209.8||309.3||270.1||293.2||329.7||402.5||329.1||309.2||313.0||277.8||255.3||228.6||201.7||286.3||236.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Hondo detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.99|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +1,753 (+28.5%).
- Construction (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Retail trade (25%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Sales and related occupations (19%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (17%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (6%)
- Healthcare support occupations (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (21%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Healthcare support occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Hondo, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Hondo-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Texas state average. It is 37% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/28/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.0 miles away from the Hondo city center killed 2 people and injured 15 people.
On 4/15/1973, a category F4 tornado 36.0 miles away from the city center killed 5 people and injured 12 people.
Earthquake activity:Hondo-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 261.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 72.0 miles away from Hondo center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 272.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/7/2008 at 09:51:12, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 MB, 3.9 MW, 3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 73.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 312.8 miles away from Hondo center
On 7/20/1991 at 23:38:19, a magnitude 3.6 (3.4 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 73.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Medina County (12) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Tropical Storms: 2 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Clint Hartung - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Hondo:
- 19TH STREET COMMUNITY HOME (307 19TH ST)
- 28TH STREET COMMUNITY HOME (1506 28TH ST)
- MEDINA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Other, 3100 AVENUE E)
- COMMUNITY CARE CENTER (2001 AVE E)
- HONDO HEALTHCARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (3002 AVE Q)
- US RENAL CARE MEDINA COUNTY DIALYSIS (3202 AVE G)
- CARE HOME HEALTH SERVICES (602 31ST STREET)
airports located in Hondo:
- South Texas Regional At Hondo Airport (HDO) (Runways: 4, Itinerant Ops: 75,000, Local Ops: 20,000)
- Haass Field Airport (TE57) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hondo:
- Northwest Vista College (about 28 miles; San Antonio, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,683)
- The University of Texas at San Antonio (about 36 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 25,503)
- Palo Alto College (about 37 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 5,055)
- Our Lady of the Lake University (about 37 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 2,133)
- Southwest Texas Junior College (about 37 miles; Uvalde, TX; FT enrollment: 3,569)
- San Antonio College (about 40 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 15,182)
- Trinity University (about 41 miles; San Antonio, TX; FT enrollment: 2,467)
Public high school in Hondo:
- HONDO H S (Students: 628, Location: 2603 AVE H, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Hondo:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- New radio station FM 92.5 KRPT in Devine replaces call letters KSJL formerly associated with this station
Notable locations in Hondo: Medina County Courthouse (A), Hondo Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (B), Hondo Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (C), Community Emergency Medical Service (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Hondo include: Saint Pauls Lutheran Church (A), Church of Christ (B), West End Baptist Church (C), First Mexican Baptist Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Oakwood Cemetery (1), Ingleside Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Hondo include: Hondo City Park (1), Barry Field (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Court: Hondo-City - Municipal Court (1600 Avenue M).
(12.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 14.8% for Black residents, 34.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Hondo in 2010:
- 1,818 people in state prisons
- 110 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 64 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 11 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Hondo in 2000:
- 1,292 people in state prisons
- 115 people in nursing homes
- 50 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 12 people in homes for the mentally retarded
- 2 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Banks with branches in Hondo (2011 data):
- The Hondo National Bank: at 1112 Eighteenth Street, branch established on 1934/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $162.0 mil, Deposits: $143.0 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Texas Heritage Bancshares, Inc.
- Broadway National Bank: Hondo Branch at 233 19th Street, branch established on 1965/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $2,465.8 mil, Deposits: $2,085.7 mil, headquarters in San Antonio, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 40 total offices, Holding Company: Broadway Bancshares, Inc.
- Woodforest National Bank: Hondo Wal-Mart Branch at 109 22nd Street, branch established on 2006/07/10. Info updated 2011/05/10: Bank assets: $3,488.9 mil, Deposits: $3,097.6 mil, headquarters in Houston, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 766 total offices, Holding Company: Woodforest Financial Group Employee Stock Ownership Plan (With 401(K) Provisions) (Amended And
- Community National Bank: at 1502 Avenue M, branch established on 1981/04/20. Info updated 2010/02/22: Bank assets: $167.8 mil, Deposits: $148.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Medina Community Bancshares, Inc.
- D'Hanis State Bank: Hondo Branch at 1401 19th Street, branch established on 1990/06/18. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $48.6 mil, Deposits: $41.0 mil, headquarters in D Hanis, TX, negative income in the last year, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Medina Bankshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Hondo city (based on Medina County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Medina County:||1.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Medina County:||0.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Medina County:||4.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Hondo, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||4||$20,154||$60,462||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$1,824||$21,888||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||21||$89,849||$51,342||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$2,466||$29,592||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||9||$18,367||$24,489||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$762|
|Parks and Recreation||18||$38,993||$25,995||5||$4,348|
|Other and Unallocable||8||$20,891||$31,337||7||$1,125|
|Totals for Government||249||$810,919||$39,080||68||$97,210|
7.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($45,403 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Bexar County, TX||3.32% ($38,909 average AGI)|
|from Atascosa County, TX||0.37% ($29,426)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.17% ($22,800)|
7.56% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,995 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Hondo:
- KCWM (1460 AM; 1 kW; HONDO, TX; Owner: HONDO COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KENS (1160 AM; 25 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KENS-TV, INC.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KDRY (1100 AM; 11 kW; ALAMO HEIGHTS, TX; Owner: KDRY RADIO, INC.)
- KTSA (550 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF SAN ANTONIO)
- KSAH (720 AM; 10 kW; UNIVERSAL CITY, TX; Owner: KSAH LICENSING, INC.)
- KCOR (1350 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- KSLR (630 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF TEXAS, INC.)
- KONO (860 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KLUP (930 AM; 5 kW; TERRELL HILLS, TX; Owner: SOUTH TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KCTA (1030 AM; 50 kW; CORPUS CHRISTI, TX; Owner: BROADCASTING CORPORATION OF THE SOUTHWEST)
Strongest FM radio stations in Hondo:
- KRIO-FM (105.9 FM; HONDO, TX; Owner: HONDO RADIOWORKS, LTD.)
- KCYY (100.3 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KONO-FM (101.1 FM; HELOTES, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KXXM (96.1 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBNU (93.9 FM; UVALDE, TX; Owner: RADIO CACTUS, LTD.)
- KAJA (97.3 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KPAC (88.3 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TEXAS PUBLIC RADIO)
- KCJZ (106.7 FM; TERRELL HILLS, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KXTN-FM (107.5 FM; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KCOR-FM (95.1 FM; COMFORT, TX; Owner: HBC LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KLMO-FM (98.9 FM; DILLEY, TX; Owner: DILLEY BROADCASTERS)
- KZLV (91.3 FM; LYTLE, TX; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KBBT (98.5 FM; SCHERTZ, TX; Owner: HBC LICENSE CORPORATION)
- KSJL-FM (92.5 FM; DEVINE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
TV broadcast stations around Hondo:
- KRRT (Channel 35; KERRVILLE, TX; Owner: SAN ANTONIO (KRRT-TV) LICENSEE, INC.)
- KPXL (Channel 26; UVALDE, TX; Owner: PAXSON SAN ANTONIO LICENSE, INC.)
- KGMM-CA (Channel 58; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CABALLERO TELEVISION TEXAS, L.L.C.)
- KXTM-LP (Channel 21; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: HUMBERTO LOPEZ)
- KMHZ-LP (Channel 65; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: LOUIS MARTINEZ FAMILY GROUP, LLC)
- WOAI-TV (Channel 4; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KABB (Channel 29; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: KABB LICENSEE, LLC)
- KVDA (Channel 60; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: TELEMUNDO OF TEXAS PARTNERSHIP, LP)
- KRYT-LP (Channel 68; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: ARACELIS ORTIZ)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 10Number of bridges
- 18m59ftTotal length
- $281,000Total costs
- 52,520Total average daily traffic
- 3,930Total average daily truck traffic
- 68,510Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Hondo, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 44 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Hondo)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 1 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Hondo)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 31 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Hondo and their reported violations in the past:HAYS CITY STORE (Population served: 200, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In NOV-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-13-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-13-2013), St Public Notif received (NOV-14-2013), St Compliance achieved (FEB-01-2014)
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In APR-01-2011, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-25-2011), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-25-2011), St Compliance achieved (DEC-04-2013)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In APR-2011, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-23-2011), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-23-2011), St Compliance achieved (JUN-01-2011), St Public Notif received (JUN-08-2011)
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 minor monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 36
- Hazardous Condition: 5
Incident types - Hondo
|Most common first names in Hondo, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Hondo, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Utility gas (31%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
|Businesses in Hondo, TX|
|Church's Chicken||1||Pizza Hut||1|
|Dairy Queen||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|Little Caesars Pizza||1||Walmart||1|
Hondo compared to Texas state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Hondo on our top lists:
- #41 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the lowest number of robberies per 100,000 residents (population 5,000+)"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Community and social service occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Healthcare support occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #83 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest positive percentage difference between never married males and females (15+ years) (with at least 1,000 males never married)"
- #91 on the list of "Top 100 cities with the largest percentage of males (pop. 5,000+)"
- #49 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply"
Total of 8 patent applications in 2008-2017.