Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 02:32 AM

36 posts, read 97,308 times

Advertisements

We're moving to San Antonio from California (San Diego)this summer. My husband is retiring from the navy in September of 2009, but we would like to buy our house before he retires. My parents live in SA in the 78244 zip code. Does anyone know anything about this area? How about the schools in that area? I was also wondering if you know if there are alot of retired military in that area. Do they have gated communities there? My parents just moved there in December and are very happy there. But they don't get out too much. We were originally going to move to WA but homes have gone up over there. From what I've heard and read about SA it sounds like a great place to live. My kids are 12 & 14, 20 and 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Howdy and welcome to San Antonio! S.A. is a huge military town, with Lackland and Randolph AFBs, Brooks City Base and Ft Sam Houston, as well as a robust retiree community. There are even a lot of retired Navy folks here, I am a USAF retiree now working as a govt contractor in a joint organization which has a lot of Nay and former Navy personnel, so you'll feel right at home here.

S.A. has a lot of gated communities, we lived in one when we were stationed here prior but now are in a non-gated community and to be honest, there really isn't that much difference! As with the rest of the nation, the housing market here favors the buyer at the moment. There is still a lot of new construction going on but I think it has slowed a bit, so you are in a good position to negotiate with a new home.

I am not familiar with the 78244 area, but I Google mapped it and see that is the opposite side of town from where we are, in the Kirby-Converse area. You will be sitting almost directly between Randolph and Ft Sam, so you can have your choice of which base to shop on. Plus, Brook Army Medical Facility is located on Ft Sam, and it is a very good hospital, albeit a busy one.

I hope that helps somewhat, you can find a lot of good info on this forum but you do have to dig around a bit. But one thing you do know already, San Antonio is a great place to live!

Cheers! M2

p.s. Get rid of your CA tags as soon as you get here!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
Default San Antonio

Hi - if you like the heat, then welcome to SA! We moved to zip code 78261 8 years ago. Came from Wisconsin and in 7th heaven every winter. The summers can be brutal! Texans are great people, but as in any society you have to watch your back. A lot, and I mean a lot of dishonest people here. Contractors will try to rip you off almost every step of the way. So always get second opinions on everything! The roads are bumper to bumper, so we try and drive when everyone else is at work. Oh, BTW, I'm retired Navy E-8. Texas is great for no state taxes, and the military commissary, and health care is fantastic! It's a good place to be retired. If you want to email me personally, my email address is [EMAIL="scary@gvtc.com"]scary@gvtc.com[/EMAIL].
Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latteluv View Post
We're moving to San Antonio from California (San Diego)this summer. My husband is retiring from the navy in September of 2009, but we would like to buy our house before he retires. My parents live in SA in the 78244 zip code. Does anyone know anything about this area? How about the schools in that area? I was also wondering if you know if there are alot of retired military in that area. Do they have gated communities there? My parents just moved there in December and are very happy there. But they don't get out too much. We were originally going to move to WA but homes have gone up over there. From what I've heard and read about SA it sounds like a great place to live. My kids are 12 & 14, 20 and 5.
I live in 78232 thats close to Randolph AFB and also NEISD schools High school is Churchill - excellent school. Lots of retired military around here and also military kids in schools which is nice.
Good luck

Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARY View Post
A lot, and I mean a lot of dishonest people here.
Steve
REALLY?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
I think he's talking about people that do work mostly on the side; like the under the table types. There are a lot of companies constantly getting busted on the TV news investigations and I'm personally more leery of people here. There is also a lot of corruption, which makes sense when you think about it, but it's cool as long as you're careful and don't trust very many people.
BTW, I'm another one of those retired Navy down here. There's another one sitting right in front of me here where I work.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I'd recommend a vist before you move and then I recommend leasing a home for like a year. All new builders are in the business of building homes and selling them. No way I would build a home and not be on site that far away.Even then look at some of the other post and I think you'll see that you will need a good inspector like anywhere in the country that works i your interest.I would also do some research and then start your own thread and ask specific questions from your research.Fort hood is near Kileen and according to google 161 miles from san antonio.Good luck

Old 05-30-2008, 09:53 AM

269 posts, read 745,839 times
another good way to find out about an area, google the zip....you will most likely get some links back here to city data that may be of interest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio