Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:45 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,749,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf1mom View Post
We are set to close on June 16th, but think our punchout (we do this week) will push them back to end June, 1st of July. Your statement about 2 stories in our area is true here too. One stories have always sold for higher sq ft compared to 2 stories. Just look at us nicest house on the market in the neighborhood, but we have at least 13 steps up to our house. Everyone loves the view too, hence all the steps go figure!!!!LOL

See I would have never figured people perferring VDN since it's middle school is Eisenhower versus WR being Bradley. I wouldn't even look at VDN for that reason. It's a lovely neighborhood.
We looked at lots of inventory homes or nearly new (less than two years old) that had lots of steps going up to the front door. We liked lots of them once we got inside - but the stairs in the front (and often in the garage) killed the deal for us.

I guess I never thought about the school since we plan on sending our kids to private school and my parents obviously don't have school age children. I have heard though that Eisenhower is not very good ever since many of the apartments at Blanco/West turned section 8 after Katrina.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM

134 posts, read 503,305 times
Our kids are private too, but we didn't decide that route until after we purchased a home. My son goes to SACS what about yours? Our new house will be closer to the school only 8 min drive in normal traffic.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:17 AM

266 posts, read 707,083 times
i learned about the shcool thing the hard way to.. we dont have kids so it didnt matter to us BUYING the house. when you go to SELL the house, now it matters a lot!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,824,068 times
Here's my take on this whole issue. I'm sure it'll be an unpopular opinion:

I own 20 investment properties. While I'm by no means 'rich' in the multi-millionaire sense, I am getting there thanks to smart investing and a great real estate lawyer. Keep in mind, I'm also only 26. I've got some time.

That being said, I have little-to-no compassion for most who are in the middle of this market crunch right now. Why? Well, for one, most people could have avoided this issue if they had simply borrowed within their means, been honest with themselves and their lender and read through the contracts thouroughly before signing. Most of the housing crisis is thanks to borrowers who knew better, but were hedging their bet on a mere whim and lenders who pushed things through that they shouldn't have.

This isn't a 'he got me pregnant' issue. It's a 'we got us pregnant' issue.

I'm sorry I can't be more supportive, but in the 20 properties I own, not once during this whole mortgage issue have I had any financial issue. If I can make that happen, so can you. Live within your means. It's not that tough.

BN

Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM

944 posts, read 3,064,894 times
BenjaminNicholas, Truer words were never written! If one can't afford home debt, one should occupy a rental. "Homeownership" is not a right. People are not losing their homes (because they don't really own them), they are in effect being evicted from the banks' homes. Now, that said, you probably don't "own" most, if not all, or your investment properites either, so watch out for the market! But if you do, good for you!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,831,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

I own 20 investment properties. While I'm by no means 'rich' in the multi-millionaire sense, I am getting there thanks to smart investing and a great real estate lawyer. Keep in mind, I'm also only 26. I've got some time.

That being said, I have little-to-no compassion for most who are in the middle of this market crunch right now. Why? Well, for one, most people could have avoided this issue if they had simply borrowed within their means, been honest with themselves and their lender and read through the contracts thouroughly before signing. Most of the housing crisis is thanks to borrowers who knew better, but were hedging their bet on a mere whim and lenders who pushed things through that they shouldn't have.

I'm sorry I can't be more supportive, but in the 20 properties I own, not once during this whole mortgage issue have I had any financial issue. If I can make that happen, so can you. Live within your means. It's not that tough.

BN
Hear Hear!! As a multiple investment property owner myself, I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you said. I do have some compassion for those in dire financial predicaments though.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:44 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,561,035 times
yep, absolutely true. (All 3 of ya! )

And while I do have compassion for those that are losing their homes, it's for the ones who realize that THEY were part of the "pregnancy" problem (good analogy, btw BN!!). The ones who are blaming it all on the lenders and such....... not so much.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:57 AM

152 posts, read 412,801 times
People have lived in tipis for thousands of years. Buy some land, throw a tipi on it, and you're set. I figure you'll go in debt in the amount of $5,000, or so, and you may even be able to pay cash and be a true home-owner right off the bat.

My wife and I lived in our tent, out at the lake, for 3 months while still holding jobs in an office environment. Talk about cushioning the savings account!! We were rather content until we decided to relocate.

Ok, so now it's lunch time. Funs over! True story though.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,778,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post

BN

Do you need a wife?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,965,541 times
I also agree with BN, although I only own one home. (Rather, I'm paying a mortgage on a house the bank owns...)

A large component of the current "crisis" is quick cash. Not everyone who bought homes did so because they needed a place to live. In fact, many people in the DC area (where I have the most "experience") traded up in order to make more money upon selling. To me, this is part of a larger trend.

Case 1: Dot-com "bubble"
Case 2: Housing "bubble"
Case 3: Oil "bubble"
Case 4: ??? "bubble"

All 3 cases have taken place in the last 10 years (give or take). The average American is trading in the American Dream (built over time) for the American Ideal (get rich quick).

--Dim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio