Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
sorry for the bad advice. Guess I'm not an expert None of my dogs have ever been sick or died from it. Been using it for years.
Oh gosh, don't apologize Most people have no clue what a good dog food is. Heck, most vets rec Science Diet or (worse) Iams... and they're just not high quality foods. I researched the heck out of dog food and I just like to share what I've learned. People don't die from eating McD's either.... (well, maybe ultimately they do.) I just don't want to see bad info passed around... and I do my research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:16 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Oh gosh, don't apologize Most people have no clue what a good dog food is. Heck, most vets rec Science Diet or (worse) Iams... and they're just not high quality foods. I researched the heck out of dog food and I just like to share what I've learned. People don't die from eating McD's either.... (well, maybe ultimately they do.) I just don't want to see bad info passed around... and I do my research.
In your research, have you found anything about Loyall dog food. I just switched to it.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Quote:
In your research, have you found anything about Loyall dog food. I just switched to it.
[SIZE=3]At Nutrena,[/SIZE][SIZE=2] we've been caring[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]for animals for more than 80 years.[/SIZE]

They been around for quite awhile taking care of animal food. Dont think you got to worry bout their quality.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
I know we should ALL pick up our dogs poop, but this is a 6wk old puppy and her poop is well- not pick up able It is pretty much liquid....so what do you do? offer to spray it out of the yard or just try to keep the dog in my own yard for now?
I would agree that a puppy that little should stay at home for a while. There are lots of things like parvo that would be devastating to a young puppy like that that he could pick up in other yards.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:59 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,091 times
Thank you all- I called the lady we bought her from (please no lectures on who or where you should buy a dog,point is we have the dog and will love it, which is better than leaving it ) Anyway she is 8 wks old and is a boxer. We have been feeding her Purina puppy with water in it( I thought that would be fine). And your right about not being able to walk her that young--- I didnt tell the story about why I asked the question. My kids were so excited to have a puppy and wanted to "walk" her, they only made it 3 houses down- but that is where she pooped her runny poop in someones yard-- the kids had a bag- but they just stood there looking confused and of course laughing.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:53 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
Give the boxer some time. She's probably just been recently weened from mom and probably had a mixture of puppy food and mom's milk for a few weeks now. Now that she is totally on puppy food, might take a little time for her system to adjust to it. For now, just keep her in the yard. But have the kids walk her on a leash around the yard to get used to being on the leash....will definitely help once you can walk her down the street.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
Quote:
You know, I have not heard of that brand. But there are so many brands out there- it's mind boggling!! FWIW, I feed my dog ALS Canidae. It's a very high quality food (5* on Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble) but costs less than SD or more advertised foods. Plus, it's more calorie dense, so my pup doesn't require as much. I buy it at Pet Supplies Plus. They carry a wide selection of great dog foods.

To the OP, I'm glad to hear your pup is 8 wks old. 6 wks had me worried! However, that's still really young- I agree w/ keeping her in your yard and getting her used to walking on a leash. Let her immune system build up a little before she gets exposed to who knows what! GL and you should post pics- everyone loves puppy pics!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,585 times
Why was it that back in the day, you could pick up a Heinz 57 pup from a neighbor and feed it scraps and it was healthy as a horse? Nowadays, you have to feed a purebred dog some specially manufactured dog food and still end up having some sort of health issues.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:48 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Why was it that back in the day, you could pick up a Heinz 57 pup from a neighbor and feed it scraps and it was healthy as a horse? Nowadays, you have to feed a purebred dog some specially manufactured dog food and still end up having some sort of health issues.
LOLOL, good point, QT...
and I wonder the same for sooooo many things, places, activities.... a miracle I'm still alive.....

Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 AM

51 posts, read 211,997 times
I have a 7 1/2 year old chocolate lab....when he was about 2 years old and 116 pounds, my holistic vet, told me that he needed to be on a diet. His suggestions, basically Atkins for dogs. He gets about a cup of Purina in the morning with a banana, and a cup and a half at night mixed with ground turkey or hamburger (has been ground lamb since living here in India), some cooked vegetables and vitamin supplements for good measure. He is a lean 90 pounds now. The vet warned of his hips going bad at an early age. He loves it! Only bad thing is, you can not eat a banana without paying the tax....The Rudy(my dogs name) banana tax. No table scraps either! Anyway, point is...the dry kibble is basically all carbs and as it is not good for us, it is not good for the dog either. Puppy poop will go away with time...just need a period of readjusting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio