Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed the flashing lights for school zones being on despite the fact that it is summer vacation? I've seen this several times over the past week and at numerous locations...Krueger, Ward and Ott elementaries just to name a few. And the odd thing is that they are on during hours when they normally wouldn't be on, such as after 6:00pm. There are no children present, and no indication that the schools are even open (just a few cars, if any, in the parking lot). Most people are ignoring the lights, but my question is why are they on in the first place?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
They have been flashing where I live at also.. at the wierdest times.. like around 5-6 pm.. not sure...

Old 07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I heard discussion of this on the radio news. It's being done for schools which have summer classes and free breakfast/lunch programs. Drivers are still required to honor the speed limits when they are flashing during the summer.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM

I thought about summer school, but there appears to be no one around when the lights are on, and I doubt the schools are still operating that late in the afternoon/early evening...

Also, Krueger, the school closest to us, says it's closed from June 24-July 29 (according to its web site).

Cheers! M2

Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
It was on the news awhile back. Their system got messed up somehow. They were trying to get it back on track. They said call them if you see any lights on, it may be a mistake and they will fix it.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:06 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
I notice it at a school where they are offering free lunch. The sucky thing is, you know about it when you hit the flashing lights on one side, but if you're coming from the other direction there are NO flashing lights. Just the ordinary school zone signs, which of course people ignore figuring it's summer!

I saw a car pulled over yesterday there, and I'm betting that it was because of the school zone but how ridiculous is that, if they're not going to put flashing lights on both sides?

And another thing, the darn school zones should have a MANDATORY "end school zone" sign. Some do, but many don't. You could be driving 20 forever if you can't see the sign on the opposite side of the road.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Yeah, I've also noticed that the lights are not always on in both directions. I meant to mention that in my original post, but I forgot...

By the way, here is the info on summer school:

STEPS- Summer School Information
Dates: June 9th - July 3rd
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
No summer school on Fridays!

So there is no reason the lights would be on that late in the day.

And one of the worse is Ward Elementary and Shaenfield Road. There are no lights on the signs, and no 'end of school zone' signs either. Being that traffic is traveling pretty fast on that road already, and that the school intersections are on a hill, it should have the most indicators of it being an active school zone.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-05-2008, 05:28 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
And another thing, the darn school zones should have a MANDATORY "end school zone" sign. Some do, but many don't. You could be driving 20 forever if you can't see the sign on the opposite side of the road.
Even if there isn't an "END SCHOOL ZONE" sign, there should still be a speed limit sign at the end of the school zone, which even by itself denotes the end of the school zone.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Even if there isn't an "END SCHOOL ZONE" sign, there should still be a speed limit sign at the end of the school zone, which even by itself denotes the end of the school zone.
SHOULD be, sure, but many many school zones don't have this. Your only choice is to watch on the left side of the road for the other folks beginning school zone sign, which is easier said than done if you're driving on the right side and there's traffic blocking the view.

Also, my GF got a ticket once for doing 30 in a school zone, in an area blocks away from any school and where the school zone sign was totally blocked by tree branches...

Old 07-05-2008, 08:58 PM

486 posts, read 1,113,777 times
SSI- which is for those who need to redo TAKS just ended on the July 3 that is correct but I know for NEISD that their day didnt end until 3:00pm. Regular summer school for NEISD runs July 7-JUly 31 8 am-3pm so you will still see school lights in some areas. Just a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio