Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,952 times

Advertisements

Here's the story:
Police Seize 100-Plus Pot Plants - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/16814272/detail.html - broken link)

Im not promoting what this person was doing Im just wondering what SA CD members thoughts are on pot.
The reality is that people, all kinds of people from all walks of life, smoke pot. The fact that it is illegal only allows drug dealers to profit from it. Take away them having the market cornered in growing and selling it and it puts a dent on their profits. It would only hurt them if it were legalized.
I understand that this is not the only product they have but I just feel more money needs to be spent on education and treatment.
The war on drugs is a joke. Its money wasted. The reason it is unwinable is because there are always going to be new (younger) people wanting to try drugs. Spend money on educating people of the harms of "hard" drugs. Increase the punishment for those caught selling hard drugs.

"All research and successful drug policy show that treatment should be increased And law enforcement decreased While abolishing mandatory minimun sentences Utilising drugs to pay for secret wars around the world"

"Drug money is used to rig elections and train brutal corporate sponsored dictators around the world"

Lyrics to "They're trying to build a prison" from System of a Down

Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Spoken like a true pothead...your fellow stoners would be proud.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Spoken like a true pothead...your fellow stoners would be proud.
Actually the man is keeping me down (random testing at work) but I still have the spirit.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
I keep wondering when they will realize pot is probably no worse than alcohol. Let' stop all this loading prisons with people who are no worse than drunks and legalize the stuff. I'm only refferring to pot, nothing else. We tolerate drunks, or sociol drinking, why not sociol pot smokers or pot addicts. It's a psychological addiction, not physical, like alcohol can be. Prisons are full of people who are guilty of nothing more than pot use or distribution.
Legalize it and make some tax money off it and stop spending tax money on trials, and prisons.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:03 PM

91 posts, read 260,575 times
It will not be legalized any time soon.

Too much money involved. (Jobs and Pensions)

Caseworkers, District Attorneys, drug counselors, Judges, Probation officers etc....

When was the last time anyone heard of layoffs within the judicial system?

Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM

222 posts, read 706,732 times
Haha. . . that's one street over from a good friend of mine! I will have to give her a call today.

Honestly with regards to pot, although it's not my thing (Never tried in high school, just a couple of times in college) I hate being sleepy and unfocused so I could care less if it's legal or not. I deal with attention deficit already and don't need anything to make it worse HOWEVER, I've seen people smoke and I've seen people drink and drinking is FAR worse based on what I've seen. (KEY WORDS - BASED ON WHAT I'VE SEEN - I am NOT claiming to be some type of Marijuana authority!) Potheads might be worthless if they overdo it but the old saying "everything is moderation" speaks volumes.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA78228 View Post
It will not be legalized any time soon.

Too much money involved. (Jobs and Pensions)

Caseworkers, District Attorneys, drug counselors, Judges, Probation officers etc....

When was the last time anyone heard of layoffs within the judicial system?
Well that is true but so so sad.
It’s kind of like the reason marijuana became illegal to begin with. Once (alcohol) prohibition was reversed there was going to be a lot of people out of a job (the same type of people you mentioned above) so to avoid that happening marijuana was unjustifiably demonized and made illegal. So while prohibition for alcohol (which by the way is the real demon) only lasted a decade the prohibition of marijuana has lasted about 6 decades. Sad sad sad.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 PM

222 posts, read 706,732 times
I LOVE the woman they interviewed on Channel 12's response! She just kept saying "it could have been worse!" with regards to it being marijuana that they found.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
I'll put in my 2 cents with another song lyric (Ani DiFranco, Evolve):

now let's get talking reefer madness
like some arrogant government can't
by any stretch of the imagination
outlaw a plant
yes, their supposed authority over nature
is a dream
c'mon people
we've got to come clean

cuz they are locking our sons
and our daughters in cages
they are taking by the thousands
our lives from under us
it's a crash course in religious fundamentals

Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me. The weed is not my thing. I'm lazy enough and eat too much as it is. Heck, I don't even drink but maybe 4 or 5 times a year... but I am absolutely pro legalization.

Ditto on "everything in moderation".

Old 07-09-2008, 04:48 PM

122 posts, read 512,845 times
Interesting thread. I don't really know where I stand on this issue. Since it is illegal right now, I am all for enforcing the law. However, that isn't to say I might now be swayed to vote for legalizing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio